How do you find an attorney for retainer?

This is a discussion on How do you find an attorney for retainer? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did not want to highjack the thread on CT & CC, but found this mentioned (sorry, don't remember writer and didn't know how to ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: How do you find an attorney for retainer?

I did not want to highjack the thread on CT & CC, but found this mentioned (sorry, don't remember writer and didn't know how to get all the info):

"re: lawyer and having his name in your wallet....very important as is having a 30 minute conversation with him
    preferably before you start going armed. some charge for that meeting. some i know do not. hopefully you will never actually need him in court.
    but you may have need of his services for transferables during the settlement of an estate. better to know one and not need him than....
    i think it comes down to who is closer to you and that you feel most comfortable with."

So how does someone go about finding a self defense atty to meet with and possibly have on retainer, and not just the run-of-the-mill defense atty paid for getting dui's and ordinary scum-bags off criminal charges?

Contact your local gun shop, they normally have some names and numbers of gun friendly lawyers.
    DefConGun and Superhouse 15 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

thanks.

No problem. You could also try some instrutors in your location. I should of posted that, but forgot...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Contact your local gun shop, they normally have some names and numbers of gun friendly lawyers.
    Agree. You don't need the $400/hr local criminal defense hotshot. Most of our (gun owner/user) issues are pretty cut and dried. It's just nice to have someone on call if your SHTF. Generate your 20 questions, make the call, meet them, pay them, have your resource available.
    DefConGun likes this.

well put. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Agree. You don't need the $400/hr local criminal defense hotshot. Most of our (gun owner/user) issues are pretty cut and dried. It's just nice to have someone on call if your SHTF. Generate your 20 questions, make the call, meet them, pay them, have your resource available.
    I'm not sure I agree with this.

You want someone who is experienced and has been practicing in the region for awhile. Someone who is familiar with how things work in the area, knows people and has contacts in the courts and in law enforcement. In short, someone who conveys that they are competent and confident.

This is not an area to cheap out. You want the best person you can afford, to represent you. This could be your freedom at stake.

Also- issues are NEVER cut and dried, especially if there's a shooting involved.
    bigdog44 likes this.

Is this the correct thread to teach the reverse Miranda?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Is this the correct thread to teach the reverse Miranda?
    newbie here. <huh>???

Ask local cops, if you know any, who they would call for a defense attorney...they know who is good.
    DefConGun and gasmitty like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use Pre-Paid Legal, they have a good monthly rate and all the legal services I need in a phone call. Just another tool I hope to never have to use.

I do like the idea of checking at the gun shop or instructors though.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Reverse Miranda link.

For legal help if the SHTF, I joined Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network which maintains a growing list of recommended member attorneys around the country for their members. The also have training DVDs to recommend how to handle the post-shooting phase of self-defense. IMO, Reverse Miranda isn't necessarily the best approach for non-criminals. Mas Ayoob offers some pretty good advice on the ACLDN DVDs.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I called my solicitor (friend) and asked him who the best was. He told me who he thought could represent me the best if needed. He isn't local, but he resides in my state. Remember, your case will deal with state laws, not just local. Your attorney can be anyone licensed in your state. If it means keeping you at home and not in jail, you can pay his gas and mileage.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Lawyers Find A Lawyer, Law Firm, Attorney & Legal Services: martindale has ratings for attorneys based on other attorney and client opinions. Also, do a google search for the website for the State Bar website and you can check for attorney ethical violations.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

Check with your employer you may have something like prepaid legal aid available; just another idea.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links