Virginia Tuck in TGIFs?

This is a discussion on Virginia Tuck in TGIFs? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be spending a couple weeks in Norfolk soon and, as the title says Is the Virginia tuck necessary when in a restaurant that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SIGguy229

Thread: Virginia Tuck in TGIFs?

Sponsor

Virginia Tuck in TGIFs?

I will be spending a couple weeks in Norfolk soon and, as the title says Is the Virginia tuck necessary when in a restaurant that serves alcohol or was/is that just for bars?

Handgunlaw.us says that carry is permitted in restaurants that serve alcohol but does not mention having to open carry there. I'm having a tough time getting any specific info from the State Police web site. Might just my week google fu...
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

2. Remove Ads

You can carry concealed into a restaurant that serves alcohol, but you cannot consume any alcohol while on the premises. You can responsibly consume alcohol while open carrying though.

This information was taken from:
    Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)
    (hopefully this link will work)

Yep....VA Tuck no longer required to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol...you may carry concealed.

But isn't it ironic, that to carry concealed, you are prohibited by law to consume alcohol (except for LEOs and County Attys); but you can open carry without a permit, and there is NO PROHIBITION to consume alcohol. Not that I would drink and carry....it's just stupid how "lawmakers" make the law when influenced by pantywaist chicken littles "there will be blood in the streets!!...Guns will start shooting everyone within the confines of a bar! OMG!" (BTW--there are no "bars" in VA...they are all restaurants that serve food and alcohol)
    BugDude likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sponsor
    Thanks for the info and the link.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Sig: Tell me I read your reply wrong. The exclusions for alcohol vis a vis CC or OC makes no sense whatsoever--what was their thinking or was anyone even thinking at the time? Here in SC, our problem is that essentially any restaurant that serves alcohol is a prohibited location for you to enter CC. If there is one main reason I would carry it is the 11PM, leaving a restaurant, going to my parked car scenario and I cannot, whether I drink or not.
    PS: I appreciate your comments and replies. Learn a lot and agree a lot. Thanks and G-d Bless

Virginia passed a law that went into effect 7-1-2010 saying that a concealed handgun permit holder can carry
    concealed in establishments serving alcohol as long as the permit holder does not drink alcohol.
    The wording of it (a mistake) may make it legal for open carry to drink.

A technicality that I would not press, for several reasons beyond the possible legal aspects.

VIP Member
    As others have said, CC is legal in VA now, as long as you don't drink. As to the title of your thread though, every TGIF I've seen here in the Richmond area is posted. My understanding is it is corporate policy and not an individual management decision.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sponsor
    The "TGIF" was just a random pick of a chain that serves alcohol. Certainly not my first choice of restaurant.

Again, Thanks for the updated info.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Links