Maine for the Canadian

This is a discussion on Maine for the Canadian within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdee y'all, With the kind help of members on this forum I was able to obtain my ccw permit for the State of Maine. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maine for the Canadian

Maine for the Canadian

Howdee y'all,

With the kind help of members on this forum I was able to obtain my ccw permit for the State of Maine. I am Canadian and will be motorcycling from Toronto to Nova Scotia. Doing so means I will pass through Maine. Due to Canadian law, I am not allowed to bring my pistol with me (I won't bore/anger you with the stupid details). While in Maine, however, I would like to be armed. I realize this is a long-shot but is there any way to obtain a weapon once I cross the boarder, and then get rid of the weapon before I re-enter Canada (preferably both coming and going). I can't think of any way to do this. But I am hoping my American friends here have some ideas :-) (yes, Canadian gun laws suck!).

2. Remove Ads

I think and I am sure somebody will correct me but here is my .02 cents.

Find the closest gun show once you enter Maine and purchase a gun and find the last gun shop before you exit Maine to sell the firearm. I am sure that there are a membesr on DC who would be will to purchase a "Used " gun and a discounted price.Heck if the price is right I would have you stop by last gun shop and have them send it to my FFL.

It may be more of a PITA than it's worth to be honest.If I lived up there and you could show me a legal DL and a CCW with your name,I would let you buy a gun and on the return trip buy it back for the same price.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

FWIW; Non-residents of the U.S. cannot legally buy weapons (handguns) here.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Huh, so in Canada you can't even carry open....Or store ammo and gun separately...? I am not questioning you, that just stinks eh. I am from Maine originally, Bangor/Bucksport area, and have taken the Cat over to Novia Scotia a few times, beautiful place. The only thing I can think of is this, I don't know the rules on banking in the US and being a Canadian citizen, but if you plan on doing this often, and driving your bike to AND from, it would be possible to buy a gun here on your first trip through and then dropping it in a safe deposit box before you exit the country, then grabbing it on your way back and doing the same thing on the other side, or just mail back to your house or something. That, or some variation of secure storage would make it pretty simple.
    Last edited by IAm_Not_Lost; July 31st, 2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    He is right,just like when I traveled to Canada a couple of years ago,I had to drop my gun off for cleaning in Michigan just before I crossed the border and pick it up on the way back home
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep, had to wait for my green card before I could buy....shoooot there are many places that will not allow you to train if you are not a citizen

I could not even carry in my old county when I wasn't a citizen
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

VIP Member
    Yup, you ain't buying nothing down there dude.

If you're not taking it down there legally like I do, you're not carrying.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

If I understand correctly,you are passing through Maine en route to the Maritimes.
    Do you feel that northern Maine is that dangerous?

May we borrow them? :)

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Yup, you ain't buying nothing down there dude.

If you're not taking it down there legally like I do, you're not carrying.
    Hey GunnyBunny! You might recall it was with your help that I was able to get my permit! I'd love to take my gun with me but, as you know, I can't legally have it with me while traveling around N.S.

But, something perplexes me, there is a gun shop in Buffalo, N.Y. that does sell guns to Canadians. They have some services where they take it to the border for you and do some paperwork. That is, you go to the store, you pay for the gun you want, and then they handle getting it to Canada for you. This is the place:Buffalo Gun Center I have shopped there many times. Good people and much better prices than in Canada. So the law must be a bit more complex than this, no?

If I understand correctly,you are passing through Maine en route to the Maritimes.
    Do you feel that northern Maine is that dangerous?
    I feel that one should be armed at all times. However, I am a law-abiding citizen and, as such, I only carry when it is legal to do so. Thus, if I have the legal opportunity, I wish to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by palmpalm View Post
    May we borrow them? :)
    Maybe but I'm not driving up to lend you a pistol.

Maybe but I'm not driving up to lend you a pistol.
    You sure? I'll buy you some nice lobster. Actually, I have been contacted by a few members in Maine who are kind enough to help me out. I have been talking with one of them but we want to see how we can do this legally, if at all, before we proceed. It should go without saying that if this cannot be done legally then we will not be doing it.

Not trying to be inhospitable but if the only way you feel armed and safe is with a handgun maybe you should consider adding other options to your resources such as OC spray, taser, or other hand held impact and control devices. Be sure to first check the legality of what ever additional options you decide on but do check out adding options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links