Waffle house

This is a discussion on Waffle house within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While eating my all star special, I saw this sign. Does it hold water at all or does it have to be one of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Waffle house

Waffle house

While eating my all star special, I saw this sign. Does it hold water at all or does it have to be one of the official ohio no guns signs?

2. Remove Ads

I don't care to eat at waffle house, but that sign will not stop BGs or CHL holder in Texas.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Would not be legal in mn
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

JD
    Administrator
    Assuming the OP is in Ohio as his location lists...ORC - 2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.

(3) (a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

Do they put knives down beside your plate there? Then they are in violation of their own rule!

That sign looks like it's back in a service area? Perhaps it's just meant for the workers?
    adric22 likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Do they put knives down beside your plate there? Then they are in violation of their own rule!

That sign looks like it's back in a service area? Perhaps it's just meant for the workers?
    From another Waffle House thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Well, I went to the local Waffle House today and parked right in front of this sign.

Attachment 51741

I CC'd right on in, anyways (I'm in GA), and noticed on their front door that they have a big American flag poster that reads "America's Place to Work, America's Place to Eat." Guess they forgot that whole part of America that is the second amendment to the constitution. These signs aren't near the front doors. they are on the side of the building in front of the parking lot.

Guess they didn't pay much attention to this news article at my local waffle house, either... Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw - Atlanta gun rights | Examiner.com

I am going to write this establishment, and I urge anyone who reads this to do the same. Any restaurant claiming to be an "All American" establishment had better adhere to the basic rights of our country, or ditch their dishonest slogan. I think this has been discussed before, but this is the first one that I have seen posted in my area. I'll have to check the others when I drive by to see if this is now common practice for all waho establishments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    That sign is on every Waffle House I've been to since I started carrying. I haven't let it bother me.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The real problem is that you're in a Waffle House to begin with. Remember . . . situational avoidance! WH sign=run!

While the sign may or may not carry legal weight (Don't care to study Ohio law myself), the business has the right to set ground rules within its property. While it may not cause you to be there "illegally," if asked to leave, you'd best beat feet to avoid feloney trespassing or criminal trespassing or whatever Ohio might call it.
    Operator2 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Do they put knives down beside your plate there? Then they are in violation of their own rule!That sign looks like it's back in a service area? Perhaps it's just meant for the workers?
    That depends on that state's legal definitions. In FL, the "legal" definition of a weapon excludes firearms--unless the firearm is used as a weapon. It also excludes non-sharpened "butter knives"--unless used as a weapon.

So by that, a gun used for punching holes in paper is not a weapon. But a handgun carried concealed for the purpose of defending life and limb, its intent to be "used" as a weapon if necessary; does that make it a legally defined "weapon"? That would be up to judge and jury, I suppose. A stretch perhaps, but not an impossibility.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The real problem is that you're in a Waffle House to begin with. Remember . . . situational avoidance! WH sign=run!

Sad but true. I actually like Waffle House. It's still has the nostalgic 'diner' feel with the little juke boxes on each table.

But you're right. Armed-robbers view them as ATM's around here.

Whether the sign is correct or not, I understand the intent and respect their choice on how to run their business. I will not enter private property if told I cannot carry.
    Operator2 likes this.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Bottom line is if your carrying, or caught carrying, your tresspassing (in OH). Misdemeanor. (Google-Fu is STRONG with JD )

Having said that, while moving my (then) young family accross this great Nation from WA to FL, I introduced them to the cheap, greasy wonderfulness of WH. (somewhere around AZ as I recall) The kids loved the place and I carried (concealed) in everyone of them, although I never recalled seeing a 'no weapons' sign in any of 'em either.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    In Florida it would make zero difference (for the public) ..not sure in your state.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I know some places will use incorrect signage to keep the sheep calm.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    I know some places will use incorrect signage to keep the sheep calm.
    Me too.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Waffle house is awesome. I've been to one in every state in the south except Louisiana.

Waffle house House serves the WORST food possible. It's horrible. Why would you even go there, to get slimy eggs swimming in some yellow oil that's supposed to look like butter? Yuk, food at it's lowest level.
    Operator2 likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links