LEO off duty ccw - Page 2

LEO off duty ccw

This is a discussion on LEO off duty ccw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by archer51 Yep, this one pretty much sums it up. Of course a confrontation most likely could be avoided if before ever entering ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: LEO off duty ccw

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Yep, this one pretty much sums it up.

Of course a confrontation most likely could be avoided if before ever entering you identified yourself as LEO, and made it clear you were armed.
    Yes but then they wouldn't allow you inside.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    From the stories I've heard the theme parks in orlando do not grant off duty leos any special consideration, the no gun policies include off duty leos. In FLA any business or property owner can ask you to leave their premises and failure to do so could result in arrest for trespassing, doing so while armed would make it FELONY trespass. your status as an off duty leo means nothing.

so to answer to your question
    1. do not carry in places where it is not welcome or
    2. if you chose to ignore the property owners rules and are found out, do not make a scene, just comply with their orders to leave.
    this is equally true for anyone, off duty cop or not
    Well.......until the badguys and psychos start following the rules i'm gonna keep carrying everywhere unless it's illegal (And for me as a LEO thats not many places). As recently seen in another country which could have just as easily been this one due to the maniac having similar views as some groups in the US where the guy murdered a camp full of children. Consider that before saying "just follow the rules".

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    A. They would simply not get my family's business.
    B. There is a little FEDERAL law called HR 218, also known as the Law Enforecment Officer's Safety Act. (LEOSA). That trumps Mickeys Mouse Brigade.
    I hear ya but my kid loves the place and we have season passes so not going is not an option.

VIP Member
    In TX, the oath I took to protect and defend the constitution and laws of the state doesn't say anything about it only applying 40 hours a week. In reality, you are never really "off-duty". I would imagine many other states are the same way. Were I still an active LEO, I wouldn't give my gun to anyone, unless I was involved in a shooting. Most agencies around here don't issue duty guns, they're privately owned.

It amazes me that so many people want to apply CC restrictions to LEO's...
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

To answer the OP...the previous LEO answering this question have it right. I would turn it over to no other than an LEO and would not disarm until an LEO arrived. I dont mean Disney Police either. I mean an actual PD or Sheriff's office.
    Trust me thats also my stand on the situation. No one is getting my gun unless they have the same powers as I do. But i'm a little more interested in how someone would react if the security were to become somewhat forceful.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpd226 View Post
    Yes but then they wouldn't allow you inside.
    I doubt that. That may be their policy, but they don't have a law backing them up, so it's just a policy.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the great response from everybody. I really can't believe that they don't want off duty LEO's carrying on their property. Now i'm sure this might offend a few on the forum but I can understand them not wanting just a ccw license holder carrying on property. The only reason I can understand this is that in the situation where a "badguy" does try to hurt/kill people on the property you can't have it being the wild wild west in there which could cause more harm than good. I have absolutely nothing against ccw license holders I think the more RESPONSIBLE people carrying the better but I know for a fact that not all ccw holders are responsible people.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpd226 View Post
    I have absolutely nothing against ccw license holders I think the more RESPONSIBLE people carrying the better but I know for a fact that not all ccw holders are responsible people.
    I am sure I will regret this question because people will read into it rather than taking it at face value: are all LEO's responsible people, for simplicity sake I will limit the question to during off duty hours?
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Within my state the only location I can't carry by law is a court room if I am there on other than official business. A private business cannot prohibit me from carrying my sidearm, on or off duty. Out of state, LEOSA does not allow me to carry on private property if the owner prohibits it. I may not be allowed to enter while armed but I will not surrender to a security guard.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I am sure I will regret this question because people will read into it rather than taking it at face value: are all LEO's responsible people, for simplicity sake I will limit the question to during off duty hours?
    They're responsible enough for the state to give them the power to 'take a life', if needed. Why would off duty be any different. You're talking about their profession/job/livelyhood.

Would you do something so irresponsible at work that would get you automatically fired and black balled from your profession?

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I doubt that. That may be their policy, but they don't have a law backing them up, so it's just a policy.
    It's any establishments right to refuse to allow you on their property so yes they can refuse you entry.

VIP Member
    Yes it's their right, but I doubt they would refuse any Florida LEO's. Why do you keep pushing the issue?

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Yes it's their right, but I doubt they would refuse any Florida LEO's. Why do you keep pushing the issue?
    Ok i'm telling you from personal experience that if your armed they don't care your not coming in.

VIP Member
    If the state constitution requires (Fla.) LEO's to take action if a felony is committed in their presence, Disney is wrong. If it were me, the media would receive an anonymous story.

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

A. They would simply not get my family's business.
    B. There is a little FEDERAL law called HR 218, also known as the Law Enforecment Officer's Safety Act. (LEOSA). That trumps Mickeys Mouse Brigade.
    leosa does not trump the rights of private property owners
    paullie likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links