LEO off duty ccw

This is a discussion on LEO off duty ccw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About 5 years back, I carried all day for two days at Disney World, and then Sea World. Never had an issue. And they knew ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: LEO off duty ccw

About 5 years back, I carried all day for two days at Disney World, and then Sea World. Never had an issue.
    And they knew I had it, as a matter of fact, they saw my 642 in my fanny pack while going through the check station. I also had a g26 iwb. When they explained the policy, I showed my ID.

25 minutes later I was chewing on a giant turkey leg and standing in a long line.

If there had been an issue, I would cooperate with my brothers in blue and on duty, out of respect. But what I have witnessed is our brothers will usually talk to management and settle things.

If it were me, the on duty officer, I know that I would make sure the management understood how subjecting an off duty Leo could be bad for business in the long run.
    Snub44 and GhostMaker like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

if you were to be found out and you tried that line, you'd be getting a ride to jail, federal law does not trump property owners rights
    paullie likes this.

VIP Member
    There's a difference between 'private property' and 'public accessible private property'. At least in Tx there is.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I doubt that. That may be their policy, but they don't have a law backing them up, so it's just a policy.
    they sure do have law behind them, they can ask anyone to leave for almost any reason, failure to leave after being asked to could result in your being arrested for trespass, in fla armed trespass is a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Yes it's their right, but I doubt they would refuse any Florida LEO's. Why do you keep pushing the issue?
    because we live in FLA and are more familiar with what has happened there in the past. your blustering is ill informed and could get you in trouble if you tried to carry at disney and was noticed and told to leave. you keep on insisting what is allowed by TX law,
    in the FLA the laws back disney's policies, they can and do not permit weapons in their theme park property

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    The only people that I would ever surrender my weapon to would be (1) my supervisor, (2) IA, or reluctantly and as a last resort to (3) an officer from another agency by his demand.
    THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Most security guards know not to even ask an LEO for any weapon. Most security companies dont even want their security officers even offering to disarm them or anyone else, its a huge liability.

Since it is not out of the question to ask for credentials, its a simple matter of showing I.D. and being done with it, since in almost all cases it is legal for LEO's to carry anywhere.

Attempting to" detain" an LEO for a legal practice would be very foolhardy and whoever tried it most likely wouldnt have a job for long.

I 'd give it up to another LEO if it were in question, while he verified my credentials. Then when he figured out I was good to go, I'd get it back.
    And THIS
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

HR 218 allows LEO's to carry across state lines. It also requires them to know and follow the laws in whatever state they're in. And the various state laws can be complicated and confusing. Don't wave your badge around in Tennessee and expect anyone to bow down to you because of the LEOSA. Cops aren't a protected class of citizens.
    diver1102 likes this.

From LEOSA
    `(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--

`(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

`(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.
    IIRC Florida law allows property management to deny access to anyone for any reason.

So..... If the mouseketeers say no guns. That means no guns.

LEOSA does not give carte blanche to LEOs and retired LEOs. There are some places they may carry in their own state that are off limits to us non sworn types but they can still get jammed up. It is not any time any place any circumstance as some folks might wish it to be.

Also, LEOSA does not override other federal laws. LEOSA does not allow retired officers carry in a Post Office or buildings in National Parks. And, if one of my former coworkers comes to visit, I can legally carry within 1000 feet of a school, but unless they have a Texas CHL they can not legally enter the federal "gun free school zone" without disarming.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Hey yall...

I live in Florida... and personally there's a lot I dont understand about how some of the laws work down here. However I was a police officer in New York... There it's a little different. NY State Penal law, and the CPLR exempt "POLICE OFFICERS" from all state firearms laws. However A police officer in the state is never completely off duty. They are BOUND by law to enforce, and assist. 24 hrs a day 7 days a week, and 365 days a year. An officer who fails to act can be held criminally liable.

For the first 20 years of my career I was under department orders to be armed, and fit for duty at all times. The only time or place I was forced to disarm was in federal court. Recently these rules have been relaxed. We've gotten all touchy feely P/C about things. Now they hire cops who when they take off their uniform they consider themselves a civilian.

No one in NY can deny service or entrance to a police officer because he's armed, unless he's consuming alcohal. I know it torque's some people but it is what it is. I have seen sports arena's, concert halls, and other venues ask that a cop let them know where he will be sitting... but thats just in case they need him.

No police officers dont deserve any special treatment. But understand they carry gun's as a responsibility, not as a right. Police Officers are responsible to protect everyone equally. Not just who they want as a civilian can.

As I said I come from a different background than Florida.

Spuk!
    INccwchris likes this.

I live in Mouseville. Disney does not care if you are Jesus Christ himself or off duty LEO. No guns allowed on their property. If you are found carrying on their property, you will immediately be asked to leave. Non compliance will result in trespass charges filed against you, and as a previous poster mentioned, armed trespass is a felony in Florida. Due to Disney's typically Californian view of firearms laws, I will avoid stepping foot on their property at all costs. A couple of years ago, Florida passed a law that makes it illegal for an employer to prevent an employee with a CCW to keep a gun locked in their vehicle while at work. At the last second after the law had been passed, Disney came up with a loop hole that stated they were excluded from that law and could still prevent their employees from bringing a weapon on their property. The loophole? They have explosive devices on their property and therefore they can still prevent employees from bringing guns on their property. The explosive devices? Every night at 10pm, they set off a small fireworks show at downtown Disney in Orlando......the fireworks are the loophole. You want to give a organization money hell bent on preventing law abiding citizens a means of self protection, knock yourself out. As a matter of principle, Mouseland will never see another dime of my money. Don't really know if Disney is still enforcing that orignal loophole in the law or not. I quit reading about anything Disney.

....and just an FYI....Florida Law does not = New York Law. If you live in Florida, then Florida Law is the only thing that matters. Knowing the firearms laws of the State in which you reside is a rather important topic to those the have Concealed Weapons Licenses. Quoting another State's firearms laws will not do you much good in front of the judge should the time arise.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by proliance View Post
    HR 218 allows LEO's to carry across state lines. It also requires them to know and follow the laws in whatever state they're in. And the various state laws can be complicated and confusing. Don't wave your badge around in Tennessee and expect anyone to bow down to you because of the LEOSA. Cops aren't a protected class of citizens.
    "Cops aren't a protected class of citizens"

No, we are not, we serve the citizens. Sounds like a little " hate'n " goin on there.
    Hate to tell you this chief, but I have been to Tennesee, and have been in that situation. Your officers are no different than anywhere else in the US. I'm not concerned about this issue, and neither does an off duty officer in my state. They would have to be really showing out and causing trouble for anything to happen.
    Some may not like it, but that's the way it is.

The only reason I would go to Tennesee anyway is to visit Graceland or see the Wildcats trounce the Vols during bb season.
    GhostMaker and Echo_Four like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have never seen anyone carrying under LEOSA get harrassed for any reason.

Usually,a discussion with another cop just ends up talking about various depts, experiences and the "good ole days".

Anyone that makes an issue of a cop,on duty,off duty or retired, has way too much time on their hands.
    Snub44, 5lima30ret and LenS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Hey yall...

I live in Florida... and personally there's a lot I dont understand about how some of the laws work down here. However I was a police officer in New York... There it's a little different. NY State Penal law, and the CPLR exempt "POLICE OFFICERS" from all state firearms laws. However A police officer in the state is never completely off duty. They are BOUND by law to enforce, and assist. 24 hrs a day 7 days a week, and 365 days a year. An officer who fails to act can be held criminally liable.

For the first 20 years of my career I was under department orders to be armed, and fit for duty at all times. The only time or place I was forced to disarm was in federal court. Recently these rules have been relaxed. We've gotten all touchy feely P/C about things. Now they hire cops who when they take off their uniform they consider themselves a civilian.

No one in NY can deny service or entrance to a police officer because he's armed, unless he's consuming alcohal. I know it torque's some people but it is what it is. I have seen sports arena's, concert halls, and other venues ask that a cop let them know where he will be sitting... but thats just in case they need him.

No police officers dont deserve any special treatment. But understand they carry gun's as a responsibility, not as a right. Police Officers are responsible to protect everyone equally. Not just who they want as a civilian can.

Spuk!
    not to sound rude, but you and many others like you need to understand that you are not in NY anymore, FLA's laws are not NY's laws, if you're going to be living in FLA you'll need to conform to the way things are done here because nobody cares how they did things up there.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Hey yall...

Spuk!
    Well said and that's how its played in FL also. We as sworn police officers are bound by a duty to act. As for the rest that's the difference in the laws in ny and FL

live free or die trying.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    A. They would simply not get my family's business.
    B. There is a little FEDERAL law called HR 218, also known as the Law Enforecment Officer's Safety Act. (LEOSA). That trumps Mickeys Mouse Brigade.
    A quote from Wikipedia (I googled LEOSA)-
    Conflict between LEOSA and other laws

Although the general effect of LEOSA is to override state and local law, this is subject to limitations. LEOSA does not override:[3][4][5]

state laws permitting private property owners from limiting or prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons on their property (such as public bars, private clubs, and places such as amusement parks)
    state laws prohibiting carrying concealed weapons on state or local government property (such as courthouses, schools or parks)

Although the general exemption from state and local laws is clear, there is debate over the effect and scope of policies issued by individual law enforcement agencies in relation to their own employees, where such policies would appear to restrict the ability of a law enforcement officer to carry a firearm.[5] Some argue that the law does not override the internal policies of a department or agency.[6][7][8] However, when LEOSA was under consideration in the United States House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary, considerable representations were made to the effect that it would override agency-specific policies, leading to opposition to the Act from the International Association of Chiefs of Police, the Police Executive Research Forum, and the United States Conference of Mayors, which was expressed as a dissenting view in the report of the Committee. Congressman Bobby Scott (D-VA) proposed an amendment to the Bill to provide that it "shall not be construed to supersede or limit the rules, regulations, policies, or practices of any State or local law enforcement agency," but this amendment was opposed by the sponsors of the bill, and was rejected by the Committee 21-11, so the enacted law contains no such exception.[9]

LEOSA does not override federal law or federal regulations.[5] Therefore, the prohibition on carrying firearms within 1000 feet of a school contained within the Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995 (which authorizes on-duty law enforcement officers to carry firearms in such circumstances) still applies to off-duty and retired law enforcement officers who would otherwise be allowed to carry firearms under LEOSA.[6] Federal regulations prohibiting the carriage of firearms on airplanes and into federal buildings also continue to apply.[5]
    Looks like they could trespass you. Not sayin it's right, I'm just sayin...
    I think I should be able to claim my guns as dependents on my taxes. I have to clothe them, feed them, clean them when they get dirty, keep them safe from bad people...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links