LEO off duty ccw

This is a discussion on LEO off duty ccw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So this is mainly pertaining to LEO's but I welcome anyone to chime in. The scenario is your at a local theme park that has ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: LEO off duty ccw

LEO off duty ccw

So this is mainly pertaining to LEO's but I welcome anyone to chime in. The scenario is your at a local theme park that has a policy not allowing firearms. For whatever reason they're security suspects you may be carrying a weapon (i.e. notices the pocket clip of a knife, badge etc). Knowing that what your doing is not illegal how do you react?? Now remember in this scenario you are a LEO. Would you just come out and tell them I am armed and produce your LEO credentials? How would you react if they tried to detain you (taking into consideration you ARE a LEO and they are just private security). I wouldn't be confrontational.....but what if they were to become aggressive if you weren't receptive to being detained. Would you just hand over your firearm to avoid a confrontation? Don't really wanna get off on any tangents just want to know how you would handle the situation not whether you think it's right or wrong to be carrying. Thanks. The stage would be set in FL if that helps anyone.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpd226 View Post
    Would you just hand over your firearm to avoid a confrontation?
    The only people that I would ever surrender my weapon to would be (1) my supervisor, (2) IA, or reluctantly and as a last resort to (3) an officer from another agency by his demand.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I'm not an LEO but unless a bonified LEO has required me to disarm, I would be hesitant to hand a loaded firearm to an "official" stranger.

Any true LEO who asks me to disarm would have my full compliance.

Not knocking private security but I would wait to hand my firearm over to a real LEO.
    Old School and Justified like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I'm not an LEO but unless a bonified LEO has required me to disarm, I would be hesitant to hand a loaded firearm to an "official" stranger.

Not knocking private security but I would wait to hand my firearm over to a real LEO.
    Yep.

Barney is NOT getting my firearm.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member

+2.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member

Yep, this one pretty much sums it up.

Of course a confrontation most likely could be avoided if before ever entering you identified yourself as LEO, and made it clear you were armed.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    The only people that I would ever surrender my weapon to would be (1) my supervisor, (2) IA, or reluctantly and as a last resort to (3) an officer from another agency by his demand.
    ... i agree, good answer.

In The LE Group

Senior Moderator
    Most security guards know not to even ask an LEO for any weapon. Most security companies dont even want their security officers even offering to disarm them or anyone else, its a huge liability.

Since it is not out of the question to ask for credentials, its a simple matter of showing I.D. and being done with it, since in almost all cases it is legal for LEO's to carry anywhere.

Attempting to" detain" an LEO for a legal practice would be very foolhardy and whoever tried it most likely wouldnt have a job for long.

I 'd give it up to another LEO if it were in question, while he verified my credentials. Then when he figured out I was good to go, I'd get it back.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lpd226 View Post
    So this is mainly pertaining to LEO's but I welcome anyone to chime in. The scenario is your at a local theme park that has a policy not allowing firearms. For whatever reason they're security suspects you may be carrying a weapon (i.e. notices the pocket clip of a knife, badge etc). Knowing that what your doing is not illegal how do you react?? Now remember in this scenario you are a LEO. Would you just come out and tell them I am armed and produce your LEO credentials? How would you react if they tried to detain you (taking into consideration you ARE a LEO and they are just private security). I wouldn't be confrontational.....but what if they were to become aggressive if you weren't receptive to being detained. Would you just hand over your firearm to avoid a confrontation? Don't really wanna get off on any tangents just want to know how you would handle the situation not whether you think it's right or wrong to be carrying. Thanks. The stage would be set in FL if that helps anyone.
    From the stories I've heard the theme parks in orlando do not grant off duty leos any special consideration, the no gun policies include off duty leos. In FLA any business or property owner can ask you to leave their premises and failure to do so could result in arrest for trespassing, doing so while armed would make it FELONY trespass. your status as an off duty leo means nothing.

so to answer to your question
    1. do not carry in places where it is not welcome or
    2. if you chose to ignore the property owners rules and are found out, do not make a scene, just comply with their orders to leave.
    this is equally true for anyone, off duty cop or not
    dangerranger likes this.

My Brother allways cc on ankel, Been everywhere with him & he's sown badge ect. NEVER disarmed ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    From the stories I've heard the theme parks in orlando do not grant off duty leos any special consideration, the no gun policies include off duty leos. In FLA any business or property owner can ask you to leave their premises and failure to do so could result in arrest for trespassing, doing so while armed would make it FELONY trespass. your status as an off duty leo means nothing.

so to answer to your question
    1. do not carry in places where it is not welcome or
    2. if you chose to ignore the property owners rules and are found out, do not make a scene, just comply with their orders to leave.
    this is equally true for anyone, off duty cop or not

A. They would simply not get my family's business.
    B. There is a little FEDERAL law called HR 218, also known as the Law Enforecment Officer's Safety Act. (LEOSA). That trumps Mickeys Mouse Brigade.
    CowboyColby and sigmanluke like this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

To answer the OP...the previous LEO answering this question have it right. I would turn it over to no other than an LEO and would not disarm until an LEO arrived. I dont mean Disney Police either. I mean an actual PD or Sheriff's office.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I carry any place I want, anytime I want. An LEO has that privilage. I have carried in most of the theme parks in Fla without issue. A properly concealed weapon makes this possible. Also LEOSA gives you the right to do so.
    Felony Trespassing? I don't think so. Your right to carry is backed by Federal Law.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    This is almost textbook perfect.
    "Look at there, America's only contribution to western civilization- turning right on red light." Clarkson Top Gear UK

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    What authority does a rent a cop have to disarm a LEO? Doubt any.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links