No carry at PGA event

No carry at PGA event

This is a discussion on No carry at PGA event within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the Greenbrier Classic PGA tournament in West Virginia this past week and I read the "Prohibited Items" on the website before I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: No carry at PGA event

No carry at PGA event

I went to the Greenbrier Classic PGA tournament in West Virginia this past week and I read the "Prohibited Items" on the website before I went and locked my CCW, pocket knife, etc. in the truck safe in the parking lot before proceeding to the bus. Here's the really stupid part.

Before you get on the bus, you have to go through a checkpoint where they tell you to empty your pockets and take off your hat (?!?!). If you have a folding chair, you can't take the bag in (?!?!?), just the chair. They ask you if that's everything and then let you go. No checking of any kind.

I kept thinking to myself someone could carry a full size .45 IWB in and their little check would mean nothing. I mean, if someone is of the mindset to do something terrible is that really going to stop them? Expecially after the first day they go through and know what to expect? All it does is keep the honest trustworthy folks from carrying.

And what do they think you are going to hide in your hat? And what's the deal with the bags the chairs come in? I guess I'm of the mindset that if you're going to go through the effort of having a checkpoint it should at least be worth the effort. That was totally worthless.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Usually they are looking for cellphones and cameras.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

They allowed the cell phones...and they all have cameras and video capability these days.

It's all to keep noise makers out, you do realize how loud a .45 being discharged is when you're going for the putt on the 18th on Sunday afternoon right?

Did they have a "tech check"? We used that route, bypassed the long lines, checked an old unused cell had a real cell in the bottom of the chair bag and tech check never looked twice in our bags as we volunteered our phones already. No pat downs or anything. That was last year in WI, when I went years before that in IL they required a long bus trip in through State Police Security check point then you got off they had pat downs and wands then took any phones knifes etc and bagged them and stored them in cubbies, and when it was in IL they had the grounds crawling with local Sheriff Deputies, when it was in WI, there was a presence but the course was spread out and you could go hours without seeing one pass by, in IL is was anywhere you looked you'd have 5 in your field of view. From what I gather though there's a PGA, you must meet this and then the locals handle the rest; security is event temporary hires that I remember the craigslist ad in WI saying "no major convictions" for background checks that get cash and a hair over minimum wage and one or two cram training sessions. I'd call it a sketchy process at best.

But it's all Security theater, to make the sheep feel protected; you probably noticed a few of the golfers bring their own security, quite a few LEOs in uniform of the golfer's hometown.

Glock Certified Armorer

A lot of times they are more concerned with cameras, food, and alcohol. For each person that is going to sneak their weapon in there are hundreds trying to get other stuff in. And there are so many cops there both uniformed and plain clothes that anyone choosing to pull a weapon would be in for a very rude awakening. My old department did security for the Kemper Open when it was at Congressional and TPC at Avenel. We had more guys there out of uniform than in uniform.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thats up here in my neck of the woods. Thats a five star resort unfortunately and not the FBI headquarters LOL. Doesnt make sense just has to make certain people (BAAAA) feel better. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I am not a big fan of that place anyway. They want you to wear a tie in the lobby and park motorcycles across the street. (at least last time I was there)
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

They didn't flinch twice at my cell phone (a blackberry), they just said to put them on silent and don't take any pictures or video (like that's going to happen). They even let me take my diet sprite I was drinking on the bus. The place was crawling with WV State Police, both in uniform and some in white golf shirts with their gun belts, etc. One was walking with Phil Mickelson and the only time he got more than 20 feet away from him was on the green. I guess my only issue is if they can assure that EVERYONE is unarmed via wand or pat downs then I at least understand that...the way they did security checks the only people that I knew were unarmed were the honest people...I just wonder how many people were walking around either pocket carrying or IWB. I wasn't really concerned with security...much more likely to get hit with a golf ball than anything. I just thought if you're going to do it, do it right.

On another note, the logistics of moving people and loading buses was horrible. And the locality didn't have the infrastructure to handle that many people (hotels, restaurants, roads, etc.). They've got some things to work out if they expect people to continue attending in the future.
    jwhite75 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Try Augusta National. Nothing allowed except chairs and they must be a specific type. No cell phones on tournament days. Even on practice rounds your camera bag must be smaller than a lunch box to carry it in. Yes, they have a wooden box made to measure the items. Metal detectors at the gates. Place is a fortress. Love it though.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I went to the Greenbrier Classic PGA tournament in West Virginia this past week and I read the "Prohibited Items" on the website before I went and locked my CCW, pocket knife, etc. in the truck safe in the parking lot before proceeding to the bus. Here's the really stupid part.

Before you get on the bus, you have to go through a checkpoint where they tell you to empty your pockets and take off your hat (?!?!). If you have a folding chair, you can't take the bag in (?!?!?), just the chair. They ask you if that's everything and then let you go. No checking of any kind.

I kept thinking to myself someone could carry a full size .45 IWB in and their little check would mean nothing. I mean, if someone is of the mindset to do something terrible is that really going to stop them? Expecially after the first day they go through and know what to expect? All it does is keep the honest trustworthy folks from carrying.

And what do they think you are going to hide in your hat? And what's the deal with the bags the chairs come in? I guess I'm of the mindset that if you're going to go through the effort of having a checkpoint it should at least be worth the effort. That was totally worthless.
    Maybe they want to make sure you're not sneaking in a Donald Trump toupee!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You sound disappointed they didn't give you the TSA approved body cavity search
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am surprised that there is not more objection to this.

Just look at what the government is doing under the guise of "protecting" us.

TSA in airports.

TSA branching out to trains, bus stations, etc.

TSA check points on the highway coming next.

Major sporting events, as described in this thread.

We are getting closer to "Your papers, please" every day, yet we take Casey Anthony more seriously.

Wake up.

Greenbrier, W. Va. We stopped for lunch there on my motorcycle trip. Went to get back on I64 the way we got off, NO NO we had to find a spot to turn around. Wife does not do 180's especially with a loaded bike. I pulled in at the Coal House and told my wife we have to go back to town. She looked at me and said " The sign says no parking, no trespassing and no turn arounds!". My reply, me being all hot and sweaty was "Blank it. Tough blank". Had to ride all through town to get back on the interstste. Don't think much of the town.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    I am surprised that there is not more objection to this.

Just look at what the government is doing under the guise of "protecting" us.

TSA in airports.

TSA branching out to trains, bus stations, etc.

TSA check points on the highway coming next.

Major sporting events, as described in this thread.

We are getting closer to "Your papers, please" every day, yet we take Casey Anthony more seriously.

Wake up.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Doesnt make sense just has to make certain people (BAAAA) feel better. LOL
    That's all it is - a dog and pony show to make the sheeple feel all warm and fuzzy. "Oh, look how well they're protecting us!" Won't be long before you'll need permission from the gov't to travel.

If I go to a venue, and they tell me I can't bring my phone, bag, <insert personal item here>, etc., I just leave. If more people did this and they started to see a drop in the bottom line, perhaps there wouldn't be so much of this big brother idiocy... Just my $.02
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

That's all it is - a dog and pony show to make the sheeple feel all warm and fuzzy. "Oh, look how well they're protecting us!" Won't be long before you'll need permission from the gov't to travel.

If I go to a venue, and they tell me I can't bring my phone, bag, <insert personal item here>, etc., I just leave. If more people did this and they started to see a drop in the bottom line, perhaps there wouldn't be so much of this big brother idiocy... Just my $.02
    Flasher if you ever had an egg salad sandwich from Augusta National you'd understand. :).
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Links