TN Question

This is a discussion on TN Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be moving to TN in a few weeks, and will be there for the next 5 years or so. Any idea on how long ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Agave

Thread: TN Question

TN Question

I'll be moving to TN in a few weeks, and will be there for the next 5 years or so. Any idea on how long it takes to establish residency? Are there any requirements (i.e. must be resident for 6 months) to get my CC permit in TN? Thanks for the help!

-crl

2. Remove Ads

I believe you must have a permanent address and get a TN driver's license first. Then, take the required class and apply for a Handgun Carrry Permit ($115 fee). Check out TN Gun Owners website.

Handgunlaw.us will answer many of your questions

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lambo969 View Post
    I'll be moving to TN in a few weeks, and will be there for the next 5 years or so. Any idea on how long it takes to establish residency? Are there any requirements (i.e. must be resident for 6 months) to get my CC permit in TN? Thanks for the help!

-crl
    To be a resident of Tennessee, purchase auto insurance in Tennessee and use it as proof of residency to get your driver license. Then you are a Tennessee resident and are eligible for a HCP. If you are in West Tennessee and need a class, let me know.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Last I heard it's running about 4 weeks from application received.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

And. Most driver license facilities do the applications and take your handgun permit picture

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    I believe you must have a permanent address and get a TN driver's license first. Then, take the required class and apply for a Handgun Carrry Permit ($115 fee). Check out TN Gun Owners website.
    Suppose you're already an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor for 25 years? Still have to take a class? Does TN accept former military as proof of expertise? WE are thinking of moving to TN ourselves for retirement, but it'd be extreme eastern TN in the mountains possibly in the area of Pidgeon Forge or Gatlinburg. Can you give me some reasons why TN would trump North Carolina as far as being a good area for retirement, especially in the area of ccw? How about taxes? I know there is no state income tax for state residents in TN and there is in NC, but what about property taxes and such?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

[QUOTE=ExSoldier;1996816]Suppose you're already an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor for 25 years? Still have to take a class? Does TN accept former military as proof of expertise? WE are thinking of moving to TN ourselves for retirement, but it'd be extreme eastern TN in the mountains possibly in the area of Pidgeon Forge or Gatlinburg. Can you give me some reasons why TN would trump North Carolina as far as being a good area for retirement, especially in the area of ccw? How about taxes? I know there is no state income tax for state residents in TN and there is in NC, but what about property taxes and such?[/QUOTE

As I understand there are several exemptions to the training for military and LE both active and retired. Property taxes are some of the lowest I know of and way below NC.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

-crl
    Congratulations on moving to the best state in the USA. You'll love it and I predict you'll stay longer than 5 years. You will get used to no state income tax at all.

Some of us who used to live there but stupidly moved away are envious of you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Do you have a CC permit in the state where you currently reside. If so and the laws regarding issuance of CC permits there are similar to TN, you get to skip the background check. I moved here from NC last year. All I had to do was take the one day class and turn in my paperwork. TN did not require a background check or fingerprints since I had a valid permit from NC. Also, if your state has reciprocity with TN, I believe they will recognize your current permit while you are waiting on your TN permit, even if you are already a TN resident. (I wasn't 100% sure on this last point, but I kept carrying with my NC permit and TN driver's license.)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Suppose you're already an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor for 25 years? Still have to take a class? Does TN accept former military as proof of expertise? WE are thinking of moving to TN ourselves for retirement, but it'd be extreme eastern TN in the mountains possibly in the area of Pidgeon Forge or Gatlinburg. Can you give me some reasons why TN would trump North Carolina as far as being a good area for retirement, especially in the area of ccw? How about taxes? I know there is no state income tax for state residents in TN and there is in NC, but what about property taxes and such?
    The military exemption for the class would be proving that you had four hours training on a handgun in the military. Your NRA certification has no bearing. The class is easy and cheap enough.

Tennessee has great carry laws - much better than North Carolina. There are a lot fewer places off limits and it's really cut and dry.

Tennessee has the second lowest tax burden in the Union, behind New Hampshire I think. The state's fee for your car tags is $24 a year (your county may or may not have a wheel tax as well) with no inspection.

It's a beautiful state. It sounds like you are looking for mountains and East Tennessee is your bet. We also have sandy hills and flatlands here in West Tennessee, which is my favorite place on earth.
    jem102 likes this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I don't live in TN but spend alot of time in the Pigeon Forge area and love it. I'm there at least 5 weeks a year.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Links