Real purpose of tiny little signs?

This is a discussion on Real purpose of tiny little signs? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I donate plasma twice a week and today I noticed something new. Sitting in a little sign holder was a 8.5 x 11 piece of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Real purpose of tiny little signs?

I donate plasma twice a week and today I noticed something new. Sitting in a little sign holder was a 8.5 x 11 piece of paper that essentially said "for the safety and security of our staff and patrons no photography of staff or equipment is allowed nor are any guns, regardless of license held by the carrier allowed. Any violator will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of all city, state, and federal laws."

This type is sign so small you have to be right up on it to read.

So what do you more experience people think of a sign like this? Does it really make people feel safer to see a sign like this?

Don't you have to know a sign is there to obey it? "What sign officer???"
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

My local shopping mall does the same thing. They have a set of rules posted on a few of the main entrances. All the way at the bottom is "firearms prohibited." You would need to sit there and read the rules and policies to realize that they ban carry. If I have to go up there, I just go in the JC Penney entrance and carry concealed. "I didn't realize there was any sign... I came in through Penneys."

In Texas that would not mean a thing, so tiny signs don't bother me one bit.

Does OK say anything about the sign being conspicuous or whatever.

They might just put the signs up so if something was to happen they can say " well we had signs to prohibit it". CYA.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sometimes, I think they do it just to give you an "out", so I don't make a big deal. Somebody, somewhere in corporate land says the property has to be posted so they've complied with corporate. They put up a sign. Of course, it's so small that most people don't notice it. If you are carrying concealed and somebody does actually spot it and complains to management, when management approaches you about it, you utilize the "out" that they graciously provided you with.

"Sorry, I didn't see your sign."

Bring in a camera, ask an attendant there to hold a light for you as you take a picture of the sign, and see what happens.

If no one says anything, then it's a CYA sign that no one is serious about. If they throw you out, then I guess they meant it.

Sorry, my evil twin couldn't resist.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Fortunately signs in OK carry no legal weight, if you're detected they can ask you to leave and if you refuse they can charge you with trespassing and that's it. But the first rule of cc is don't be detected so I really don't worry about that. I ride a motorcycle almost everyday to work and I have a magnetic tank bag that has a gun holster in the bottom compartment. Most people just assume I keep my insurance cards and stuff in there. When I'm not on the bike I just carry it in the small of my back.

When I see these kinds of signs I always sit back and wonder, do signs like that really make non-gun people feel safer?

The whole thing about "gun buster" signs is that they are designed to give the illusion of safety. If a sign is posted, most of the uninformed will tend to believe the place is way safer than other places that "allow" firearms. They truly believe that everyone will obey the sign.

Best thing to do is go with the law. If signs carry no weight, then ignore it, but stay concealed. If they do, then do not patronize the place and find another that will allow concealed carry.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    The whole thing about "gun buster" signs is that they are designed to give the illusion of safety. If a sign is posted, most of the uninformed will tend to believe the place is way safer than other places that "allow" firearms. They truly believe that everyone will obey the sign.

Best thing to do is go with the law. If signs carry no weight, then ignore it, but stay concealed. If they do, then do not patronize the place and find another that will allow concealed carry.
    Unless a sign brings it to their attention, I doubt that most people ever consider the possibility that another citizen may be carrying.
    MikeNice and mkh like this.

In southeastern wisconsin, miwaukee area, signs are a waste of paper. gangbangers and punks all carry something, small gun, big gun, or knives. honest citizens follow the law, we can't legally carry, but who do you think the law goes after first? can't wait till november.

Yeah, OUFan, I'd just keep on keepin on. Where do you donate though? I haven't been able to in a while...

On a side note, I went to Woodland Hills for the first time last night. I came in from the south through the main entrance on that side. No signs anywhere to be seen.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Yeah, OUFan, I'd just keep on keepin on. Where do you donate though? I haven't been able to in a while...

On a side note, I went to Woodland Hills for the first time last night. I came in from the south through the main entrance on that side. No signs anywhere to be seen.
    I donate at BioLife in BA, I put all the money in the bank, I used it for some stuff for my motorcycle, now I'm putting the money up for an engagement ring.

VIP Member
    In the 3 years I lived in SW OK and carried, I don't ever remember seeing a sign. Of course I never look real hard for one either.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    My local shopping mall does the same thing. They have a set of rules posted on a few of the main entrances. All the way at the bottom is "firearms prohibited." You would need to sit there and read the rules and policies to realize that they ban carry. If I have to go up there, I just go in the JC Penney entrance and carry concealed. "I didn't realize there was any sign... I came in through Penneys."
    If they read this thread, they'll know you knew...
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I doubt a notice that small would be enforceble in any court.

Now, about your fondness for being stuck with a needle twice a week...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links