Mall Confusion

This is a discussion on Mall Confusion within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paramedic70002 You said the sign has the correct verbiage but is it a legal 30-06 sign as described in the Code? Yes, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Mall Confusion

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    You said the sign has the correct verbiage but is it a legal 30-06 sign as described in the Code?
    Yes, it was a legal sign according to code.

and to DefConGun...good advice!
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

2. Remove Ads

It's possible...maybe even probable...that the anchor stores actually OWN the stores that they occupy and as such the Mall has no duty or authority to post at those entrances. Our mall had a Boscov's...and the store closed as part of their restructuring. That was 5ish years ago. That space still sits empty because Boscov's owns the space and hasn't been able to sell it.

Leave it alone!!! Enter through an unposted entrance and keep it covered.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have the same issue here in NC. The mall is posted (fine print) but there are no signs on any of the big box stores (JC Penny, etc.) So if I need to go in to shop, I shop where there are no signs. I do not enter the mall proper so I don't have any issue. But if I did, hey I have the 125 pound rent a cop wearing a smokey bear hat that will keep me safe!!!! Not!!

Hi all. I am a new member to this forum also. I love to read the threads here. There is a ton of good and useful information.
    I appreciate the input of Cowbilly32. Personally I don't give that mall any more of my money, since they posted the 30.06 signs.
    There are plenty other places to shop in Longview, Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    You are GRAVELY mistaken. In Texas, there most certainly is a LEGAL sign...the ubiquitous 30.06 sign... If it's properly posted, you can NOT legally carry there.
    But another post above said that ALL entrances have to be posted, so it sounds to me like this mall is not "Properly" posted.

Tough call but if you are going top continue to carry in this mall I would make sure to wave to the camera at the unposted entrance and make sure you only enter through that entrance.

I would call the mall and request that they replace that sign with one that says:

"No CRIMINALS allowed under penalty of prosecution!"

That should make the mall totally safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jelewill View Post
    There are plenty other places to shop in Longview, Tx.
    Or, come to Tyler. Our Mall's not posted.
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

But there is, in fact, NO requirement it be posted at every entrance. That is a commom misconception/myth. The Penal Code is clear. It only needs to be displayed conspicuously. There is no satement about every entrance. But having some posted and others not posted certainly might make enforcement tricky.

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk
    --------------------
    "Nothing is so dangerous as an idea, when it is the only one you have." -- Emile Chartier

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity.45 View Post
    But there is, in fact, NO requirement it be posted at every entrance. That is a commom misconception/myth. The Penal Code is clear. It only needs to be displayed conspicuously. There is no satement about every entrance. But having some posted and others not posted certainly might make enforcement tricky.

how could a sign be conspicuous if it isn't posted?
    if a sign is non existent the mall isn't following the law because their 30.06 signs are not posted conspicuously.
    we are grasping at straws here, what is needed is case law that would point us to the right conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity.45 View Post

I'm guessing that the law is written for the average establishment that only has 1 entrance. Because a mall inherently has multiple entrances Mall Mgtment should take it upon themselves to post at every mall entrance if they truly want to prohibit weapons....including the entrances from the anchor stores to the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    Wondering should I inform mall management so that some other unsuspecting brother doesn't get jacked up because he didn't know either, should I try to persuade them to change the rules to allow their patrons the ability to defend themselves if necessary or should I leave well enough alone and do nothing?
    No. Leave it alone.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links