I went to the bank this morning - Page 2

I went to the bank this morning

This is a discussion on I went to the bank this morning within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gene83 Does Florida allow you to legally conceal in a bank if it is posted with signs? My state doesn't. There's no ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I went to the bank this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Does Florida allow you to legally conceal in a bank if it is posted with signs? My state doesn't. There's no law against carrying in a bank, but any business can post their property and apparently this particular bank chose to do so.
    in fla the signs do not carry any force of law, all they can do is ask you to leave, concealed properly they would never know. I would carry into the bank and if they asked me to leave I would, then return to close my accounts there

VIP Member
    I had never been to this particular bank before but I was conducting some business for an elderly relative who has some accounts there. As I parked in front, I immediately notice the "No Weapons or Firearms" sign on the front door. Beside it was the "No Baseball Caps, Hoodies, or Sunglasses" sign. I stashed everything in the car and walked in. Sitting in a chair off to the side was a uniformed security guard. He was in his sixties and half asleep. Evidently to be in compliance with the sign on the front door, he was also unarmed.

My first thought was "What purpose does an unarmed security guard serve in a bank?" Is he there to be an additional witness?

The bank I use doesn't have a security guard. They don't have any signs on their doors either.
    It's a feel good thing for the uninformed. "They have a security guard, I'm safe here".

Not a problem here in Virginia, banks aren't off limits.
    BugDude likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    in fla the signs do not carry any force of law, all they can do is ask you to leave, concealed properly they would never know. I would carry into the bank and if they asked me to leave I would, then return to close my accounts there
    In my state, possession of a weapon on posted property is a Class B Misdemeanor punishable by a fine only of $500. As far as I can tell, conviction on that charge alone would not result in revocation of your permit. You would just be out $500. That actually might be a small price to pay in order to have the ability to defend yourself if need be.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

In my state, possession of a weapon on posted property is a Class B Misdemeanor punishable by a fine only of $500. As far as I can tell, conviction on that charge alone would not result in revocation of your permit. You would just be out $500. That actually might be a small price to pay in order to have the ability to defend yourself if need be.
    consider moving??

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    consider moving??
    No thanks. I've lived in hurricane country before. I'll stay where I am.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Unarmed guards serve a VERY important purpose!

Bullet magnet. They can absorb the rounds that you may take if he wasn't there.

If you properly CC...then the signs are there for decoration only.......
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    Not really...at least not in my state as long as the sign carries the force of law. Say you are in a business that is posted. You are carrying concealed, when there is an armed robbery. Feeling that you are threatened, you pull your gun. Not counting on an armed resistance, the robber turns and bolts out the door. Technically, you are the hero of the day...but if somebody got a wild hair and wanted to bust your chops, you could be charged with the misdemeanor and have to fork over the $500. Admittedly, it's an unlikely scenario..but the signs aren't just decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    Great opening line for your defense if you still get caught where it's illegal to carry. I'm sure they'll enjoy the wit.

Several banks in Houston have signs welcoming concealed-carry holders. Makes a lot more sense.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    and your location is "Land of the Free"

just saying...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    and your location is "Land of the Free"

just saying...
    Perhaps more free would have been more accurate, as in "more free" than folks in those places in the northeast where getting a carry permit requires so much hoop jumping that most people don't have one.

Just for additional clarification, this post from earlier this morning came to mind.

Obamas executive order gun grab
    Last edited by Gene83; August 5th, 2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Clarification

No hurricanes in Indiana, and no CC only by law and no force of law with the signs, I can OC into a posted bank if I felt like it; of course when asked to leave then I must comply. I haven't carried into a bank yet because it's been that long since I've walked into a bank, gotta love being able to handle that stuff online as much as possible.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do what needs to be done. Did you contact the bank after you left to explain your displeasure with the lack of real security with the combined disarming and ask that they review their policies to reflect legitimate security measures on their part or at least respect your right to self defense? Explain that a sleepy unarmed security guard was not the least bit comforting while in the presence of a substantial target, at a time of day when the majority of bank robberies occur and it detracted from your customer experience. I also include a comment from Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli on anti-gun policies...

It certainly can be argued that such policies are ineffectual because persons who wish to perpetrate violence will ignore them, and that the net effect of such policies is to leave defenseless the law-abiding citizens who follow these policies.
    Cuccinelli says concealed permit holders not bound by U.Va. gun policy | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Something that I think bears pointing out to management, that you as a law abiding citizen complied and put yourself at risk, but that the policy does nothing to slow those with nefarious intent.

Being less restricted doesn't make you "free"; just ask the prison population that's not on solitary confinement.
    INccwchris likes this.

Glock Certified Armorer

I'll take my chances......At least here in CT I have not seen any signs like that anyway.....
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Great opening line for your defense if you still get caught where it's illegal to carry. I'm sure they'll enjoy the wit.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Unarmed 'guards'...serve no particular purpose in my book.
    They are usually the first target in an attack and give you time to draw and put the BG down for good.

You know, it always makes me wonder about these signs. Do the bank owners think that a person who passes the checks to obtain a firearm will somehow just decide one day "well, I'm in here and armed.............yep, I'm gonna rob the joint!"? What a dumb ass thought process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links