I went to the bank this morning - Page 3

I went to the bank this morning

This is a discussion on I went to the bank this morning within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by canav844 No hurricanes in Indiana, and no CC only by law and no force of law with the signs, I can OC ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I went to the bank this morning

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    No hurricanes in Indiana, and no CC only by law and no force of law with the signs, I can OC into a posted bank if I felt like it; of course when asked to leave then I must comply. I haven't carried into a bank yet because it's been that long since I've walked into a bank, gotta love being able to handle that stuff online as much as possible.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do what needs to be done. Did you contact the bank after you left to explain your displeasure with the lack of real security with the combined disarming and ask that they review their policies to reflect legitimate security measures on their part or at least respect your right to self defense? Explain that a sleepy unarmed security guard was not the least bit comforting while in the presence of a substantial target, at a time of day when the majority of bank robberies occur and it detracted from your customer experience. I also include a comment from Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli on anti-gun policies...

Cuccinelli says concealed permit holders not bound by U.Va. gun policy | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Something that I think bears pointing out to management, that you as a law abiding citizen complied and put yourself at risk, but that the policy does nothing to slow those with nefarious intent.

Being less restricted doesn't make you "free"; just ask the prison population that's not on solitary confinement.
    (a) I didn't call and complain because I don't bank there and doubt that I will ever be in another of their branches. (b) Indiana was very nice the last time I visited, but I don't think I'll move. (c) The Star Spangled Banner just doesn't have the same ring with "the land of the less restricted but not necessarily free just ask the prison population not on solitary confinement" inserted in place of "the land of the free", but maybe folks could get used to it if it was sang at enough NASCAR races.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    No thanks. I've lived in hurricane country before. I'll stay where I am.
    What state do you live in? It sure doesn't sound like "the land of the free" to me...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've never seen any sort of security persons, armed or otherwise, in the banks around me.

I remember way back when that BiLos grocery had an elderly guard sitting high in the lifeguard seat, a shotgun across his lap, ovelooking the cash registers. He was usually alseep. I can only imagine what would have happened if he unloosed that scattergun!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Does Florida allow you to legally conceal in a bank if it is posted with signs? My state doesn't. There's no law against carrying in a bank, but any business can post their property and apparently this particular bank chose to do so.
    Yes! Although I have never seen a sign, CC is no problem. You could only be asked to leave anyway, if discovered...and they didn't like it.
    Signs mean nothing! If they didn't have a sign, but asked you to leave...then leave...no harm, no foul...same thing.
    I have never gone to a bank, unarmed!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The guys in my bank usually wave me into their office to see if I'm carrying something new. I've OC'd in my bank plenty of times and no one even flinches. I love Virginia!!!

The cute little sign and sleeping beauty guard are nothing more than an effort to make the people who don't know any better feel a little better. In reality, they're detrimental to the real issue of security.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

An unarmed security guard is the famous protector of the weak in la-la land.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I CC in banks here in Ca. but no OC. Get this, OC is legal here in Ca. but only if it's unloaded. So the old OC vs. CC is easy here. There's no point in OC for SD unless you just want to have a club handy. Lots of CC'ers around here though in the north part of the state. As far as signs though, I've only seen one at a Toys 'R' Us. I think the point of no one ever seeing weapons because there's no loaded OC allowed, kind of keeps the thoughts of having to post a sign at bay. Sort of an "out of sight, out of mind" thing if you will. If they only knew. Even in class, our instructors always hit on the fact that a bank is only federally insured and NOT a federal building. And why? Because someone always asks.

Note: Please don't carry this on to a OC vs. CC thing. I was just making a point as to why I think there aren't many signs here.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

[QUOTE=sigmanluke;1997464]I honestly don't remember the last time I was in a bank unarmed.

I honestly don't remember the last time I was in a bank, period. With direct deposit, ATM's and bill-paying online I rarely set foot in a bank building.

I know not everyone does this, but the convenience and not having to pay ridiculous fees for someone to handle my money to me, makes sense.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I had never been to this particular bank before but I was conducting some business for an elderly relative who has some accounts there. As I parked in front, I immediately notice the "No Weapons or Firearms" sign on the front door. Beside it was the "No Baseball Caps, Hoodies, or Sunglasses" sign. I stashed everything in the car and walked in. Sitting in a chair off to the side was a uniformed security guard. He was in his sixties and half asleep. Evidently to be in compliance with the sign on the front door, he was also unarmed.
    My first thought was "What purpose does an unarmed security guard serve in a bank?" Is he there to be an additional witness?
    The bank I use doesn't have a security guard. They don't have any signs on their doors either.
    It's for appearances only.

The Bank doesn't care if you or other customers die , they already have everybody's money , and if someone steals some from
    them - it's insured.

IF something bad goes down they can honestly say they took precautions.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

An unarmed guard is somewhat like the Walmart greeter there to answer your question...."where would I find the peanut butter"?

However, having said that, let me share a real eye opener. Back many, many years ago when I was still finishing up my college education I worked for a security guard outfit. We did the usual "rent-a-cop" things. Many of our assignments were armed positions. So one day several of us reported to a local outdoor shooting range for training including live fire. OMG, is all I can say. When we finished, the instructor asked what we each had learned. When it was my turn to respond, I said, "One thing I learned today, is that if I'm working with any of you and I see you draw your handgun, I'm immediately going to seek cover". You know, I didn't work there just too long. :)

They are insured for their money if they get robbed, and that's their only concern. It's certainly not your safety.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I honestly don't remember the last time I was in a bank unarmed.

I honestly don't remember the last time I was in a bank, period. With direct deposit, ATM's and bill-paying online I rarely set foot in a bank building.

I know not everyone does this, but the convenience and not having to pay ridiculous fees for someone to handle my money to me, makes sense.
    That's pretty much me. This was a situation where documents had to be signed and witnessed so I had to be there. I've not been in the credit union that I use since sometime around the first of the year.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Steve666 View Post
    Some of the banks have even gone to an "airlock" entry system with a metal detector.
    Most Chase Banks here in Ohio are unposted, but there is one I had to go to once that had the airlock system. The bank wasn't actually posted, but I took the metal detector as a sign that they didn't want weapons in the place.

Anyway, it was a gigantic pain in the rear to get in and out of there. My wife and I had to clear the airlock one by one. I now avoid that branch like the plague.

Very convenient for any criminals watching bank customers walk out knowing that they
    a) probably have money on them
    and
    b) are 100% unarmed.

Hey guys

I"m in south Florida. And I'm a part time security guard. I spend my time trying to stay awake like the guy you menioned...lol. NEVER sit in a comfortabe chair..lol. Anyhoo... Most of the time an unarmed security guard is probably some demand by an insurance provider, or to get a discount on insurance. It seem's the insurance actuaries have figured out that a uniformed security guard prevents something... I have no idea what though. Perhaps fraudulent slip an fall complaints.

IMO Banks mostly no longer employ armed security because of the liability factor. It seems they feel the public is as much at risk from their own security, as they are from the robber. They would loose much more money in a wrongfull death, or injury lawsuit than they would if they gave the robber what he wanted. And the bank cash is federally insured. The customer suit would be charged against the banks liability insurance. There is no deterance to robbing a bank...

I know of two banks that have armed security. But for some reason they are posted outside. I dont get that either. I also CCW when going to the bank, or anywhere else. With more and more banks now keeping odd hours it would be nuts to not CCW IMO.

Hmmmm, I suppose it depends upon the bank and the state in which you live.
    Here in Washington, there's no prohibition against packing in a bank.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links