I went to the bank this morning

This is a discussion on I went to the bank this morning within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had never been to this particular bank before but I was conducting some business for an elderly relative who has some accounts there. As ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I went to the bank this morning

I had never been to this particular bank before but I was conducting some business for an elderly relative who has some accounts there. As I parked in front, I immediately notice the "No Weapons or Firearms" sign on the front door. Beside it was the "No Baseball Caps, Hoodies, or Sunglasses" sign. I stashed everything in the car and walked in. Sitting in a chair off to the side was a uniformed security guard. He was in his sixties and half asleep. Evidently to be in compliance with the sign on the front door, he was also unarmed.

My first thought was "What purpose does an unarmed security guard serve in a bank?" Is he there to be an additional witness?

The bank I use doesn't have a security guard. They don't have any signs on their doors either.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Several of the banks around here pay off-duty officers to run guard duty. They're almost always armed. Some banks don't have anyone guarding, but it's usually one or the other. I never really see mall cop-types guarding banks. I've been in a couple banks with armed guards, smiled at the officers and went about my business, carrying all the while.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Several of the banks around here pay off-duty officers to run guard duty. They're almost always armed. Some banks don't have anyone guarding, but it's usually one or the other. I never really see mall cop-types guarding banks. I've been in a couple banks with armed guards, smiled at the officers and went about my business, carrying all the while.
    This fellow was in the uniform of a private security firm, and there was no weapon that I could see unless he was carrying concealed or in a small of back holster, both of which make no sense, but nothing about their security arrangements made a lot of sense anyway.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    There is a multitude of security devices in most banks to record/witness everything. That unarmed "security" guard is a ($8/hr) waste of money.

VIP Member
    I honestly don't remember the last time I was in a bank unarmed.

Around here, I also don't think I have ever seen a security guard in a bank. If they are there, they are UC as to not look like security.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    There is a multitude of security devices in most banks to record/witness everything. That unarmed "security" guard is a ($8/hr) waste of money.
    That was my thinking, besides the fact that he would probably be the first target if any shooting did break out. If I was him, that thought would make me extremely uncomfortable.

Unarmed 'guards'...serve no particular purpose in my book.
    Here in FL, one may conceal in any bank, and I do!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My first thought was "What purpose does an unarmed security guard serve in a bank?" Is he there to be an additional witness?
    Think Walmart Greeter. The one where I go is a friendly old guy but I doubt he lends much to the security of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Does Florida allow you to legally conceal in a bank if it is posted with signs? My state doesn't. There's no law against carrying in a bank, but any business can post their property and apparently this particular bank chose to do so.

Some of the banks have even gone to an "airlock" entry system with a metal detector.
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

VIP Member
    In Utah there are no laws regarding carry in a bank, and even if posted, it carrys no weight of law. Isn't Utah great!!!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The type of criminal that is going to cause harm to a bank is not going to be a group of young thugs with spray paint or skateboards that are going to have to be asked to leave by the security guard. And unless every bank is robbed with a cute little note and a pointed finger in their pocket, all they amount to is another victimized citizen or another body to the count. Even if they are armed to an average standard for security the odds are still only 50/50 IF there is only one perp with one handgun. A serious felon will blow right by the guard, shortly after he blows by their "no firearms" sign. Both are useless other than the employment of an honest citizen.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve666 View Post
    Some of the banks have even gone to an "airlock" entry system with a metal detector.
    I've not seen that in my area and would think that it would be impractical. How many people walk into a bank with absolutely nothing metallic on them....no coins, no keys, no metal whatsoever? If you start setting up that level of security, people will go bank someplace that isn't as much of a hassle.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Thankfully my bank doesn't have signs - & even if they did I have the option to ignore & CC.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links