Traveling from Texas through New Mexico to Colorado

This is a discussion on Traveling from Texas through New Mexico to Colorado within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be taking a road trip from Texas to Colorado, with a short portion passing through New Mexico. I don't have my CHL yet so ...

VIP Member

I'll be taking a road trip from Texas to Colorado, with a short portion passing through New Mexico. I don't have my CHL yet so I wanted to find out what the laws are for carrying in my vehicle. I know in Texas I can carry concealed in my vehicle even without a CHL. What are the laws in New Mexico and Colorado regarding concealed carry in a vehicle?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

You will need to check your route on a good map. If you cross into any Indian reservations you need to know the laws there too.
    Handgunlaw.us
    This should have most if not all of what you need.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

PB2
    In NM, except as listed above on indian res, your car is an extention of your home and concealed carry inside your vehicle is legal without a permit. They also extend that to "close proximity" for refueling, etc. So if you're paying at the pump you're good.

I believe Colorado is the same but can't say for sure.

Your good in Colorado. Here are the law references: http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs

You cannot open carry in the city or county of Denver outside your vehicle.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the replies and Handgunlaw.us is very helpful. I'll be driving from Dallas through Amarillo, into New Mexico and then into Colorado. Per the website, all 3 states allow concealed carry in a vehicle without a permit.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

When you do get your CHL its interesting to note that reciprocity between CO and TX is for Tx residents only. I guess they had an issue with non-resident permits there? Im sure there are other states as well with that same condition but I remember that coming up the last trip I took to Denver.

Enjoy the cooler weather, Dallas has been quite the sweatbox recently.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

This probably goes without saying; however, in Colorado the loaded weapon in your vehicle provision only applies to handguns. It is NOT legal to have a loaded long gun on board (hunting laws).

Yup, enjoy the cooler weather. I had a meeting on the western side of the State yesterday and when I came over Vail Pass last night (9:00 PM +/-), it was 51 degrees.

Links