Traveling to OR from WA tomorrow

Traveling to OR from WA tomorrow

This is a discussion on Traveling to OR from WA tomorrow within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going down to Oregon tomorrow for a couple days to visit my sister. Unfortunately, I just discovered the whole thing about Oregon not accepting ...

Unhappy Traveling to OR from WA tomorrow

I'm going down to Oregon tomorrow for a couple days to visit my sister. Unfortunately, I just discovered the whole thing about Oregon not accepting WA CPL. I'm not going to get started on the whole OR "nanny state" thing, gas pump laws, and all that.

So here's my questions: What do I have to do to stay legal? I assume that I have to disarm and secure my Glock before I cross into Oregon. I'll bring my case and pistol lock to secure the gun and stow it out of reach. But there was also something about Portland not even allowing a person to have a gun in their vehicle. And also about having to unload the mags?! I'm going down to Salem, so I don't plan to have to stop in Portland at all. I refuse to leave the gun at home though.

Can anyone help clarify all this for me? Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Yes--in the Beaverton-Portland-Salem corridor, you cannot have a loaded magazine in the vehicle. Go to handgunlaw.us for further details.......
    (Glad I moved away from there in 1974)
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Get yourself an Oregon permit while you're there.

Oregon does issue to residents of states that border them.

Just go to http://handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf and scroll down to Oregon for more info.

IIRC there's even an Oregon sheriff that travels to gun shows in the bordering states to issue permits.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Ok, if you're taking the I-5 corridor to get there... you're actually better off leaving it at home. I hate to say it, but OR has a preemption law that ONLY applies to CHL holders. Every City and County you go through will have different regulations and laws regarding carry. A friend of mine called down to the State Police to ask how he should transport it, and he was told to keep it locked, mags unloaded in a separate lockbox, and to keep the gun in the trunk. My friend drove an SUV and asked how he should handle it since he didn't have a trunk (OSP said to keep it locked in the trunk so it was inaccessible to anyone in the passenger cabin), and the OSP officer said "well, I guess you can't".

You might not be stopping in Portland, but you still have to go through it. Unless you're going to go around...

Get the Oregon CHL, but not on that trip. You need to go to a county that has a "shall issue" policy, and you'll need your NRA Basic Pistol to do it. I recommend Grant County (their Sheriff is the one GunnyBunny was referring to) as they have such a policy. They're also fantastic people in a very small and poor county. Oregon is "Shall Issue" for OR residents, but the nonresident permit is "May Issue". And, if I recall, once you've been rejected from one county, you can't apply at a different one for a distressing length of time... a year I think.

Thanks everyone. What a nightmare! I don't want to travel the length of WA without my pistol, but sheesh! OR is a total PITA! Not sure what I'm going to do now. I don't have a trunk.. have a van. I guess if it's in the very back, locked...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by protek View Post
    Thanks everyone. What a nightmare! I don't want to travel the length of WA without my pistol, but sheesh! OR is a total PITA! Not sure what I'm going to do now. I don't have a trunk.. have a van. I guess if it's in the very back, locked...
    You might have to drop it off for a "cleaning" at Cabelas in Lacey Washington before crossing into Oregon and picking it up on the way back?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Where are you coming from?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Yes--in the Beaverton-Portland-Salem corridor, you cannot have a loaded magazine in the vehicle. Go to handgunlaw.us for further details.......
    (Glad I moved away from there in 1974)
    Politics aside (and that is a BIG aside), a CHL holder in Oregon has it good. Far better than most states. I can carry anywhere but Federal buildings, State courthouses, etc. My CHL preempts any local city regulation and schools are NOT off limits. However, Oregon does not reciprocate with any state which kinda sucks. There was a bill introduced this year, but I do not think it passed. I had to get a Utah permit to carry in Washington.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Politics aside (and that is a BIG aside), a CHL holder in Oregon has it good. Far better than most states. I can carry anywhere but Federal buildings, State courthouses, etc. My CHL preempts any local city regulation and schools are NOT off limits. However, Oregon does not reciprocate with any state which kinda sucks. There was a bill introduced this year, but I do not think it passed. I had to get a Utah permit to carry in Washington.
    Okay, I don't wanna threadjack here... but why not just get a WA permit? We're right here, you know

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Okay, I don't wanna threadjack here... but why not just get a WA permit? We're right here, you know
    Utah is much more flexible. Honored in more states, including Washington. Why get three when I could get two? Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Well, survived the short venture into Oregon, though I am a little bewildered by the need to have the mags unloaded and rounds locked away and gun locked away somewhere else. What do they think I'll do at a traffic stop? Throw my bullets? I was very relieved to reload/rearm when I got back into the state. I live up in Bellingham, so I had to drive nearly the entire length of the state north to south. I definitely wasn't going to leave my Glock at home. Don't really understand the whole lack of reciprocity with different states.

Well, survived the short venture into Oregon, though I am a little bewildered by the need to have the mags unloaded and rounds locked away and gun locked away somewhere else. What do they think I'll do at a traffic stop? Throw my bullets? I was very relieved to reload/rearm when I got back into the state. I live up in Bellingham, so I had to drive nearly the entire length of the state north to south. I definitely wasn't going to leave my Glock at home. Don't really understand the whole lack of reciprocity with different states.
    Oregon has a recognition bill somewhere in the state Legislature... dunno if it'll pass. It's worth getting your NRA Basic Pistol and getting your OR CPL though. Not only does it give you Oregon, but there are some states that recognize OR that don't recognize ours. OR has a "Preemption if you have a CPL" law on the books, so if you have one you don't have to deal with any of that crud.

If you have the time and money, I'd recommend doing what I did... I went to Nevada (Reno) and took their state CCW class. It's really similar to the NRA Basic Pistol, so they gave me a little extra training, charged me a little extra money, and issued both certs. I got my NV CCW permit, stopped by Grant County Oregon and got my OR CHL, and then sent off for the AZ CCW permit... AZ is faster, cheaper, and easier than Florida or Utah and combined with my WA permit I get all the same recognition as I would with the FL or UT. And overall, it was WAY cheaper than getting my NRA cert here in WA (costs more here, probably because we don't need it for the WA permit) and I got a cool trip out of the deal.

Links