10 round mags

This is a discussion on 10 round mags within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to conceal is important, so does anyone carry 8 round mags in their .45 acp and 10 round mags as extras?? Are there 10 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 round mags

10 round mags

Trying to conceal is important, so does anyone carry 8 round mags in their .45 acp and 10 round mags as extras??

Are there 10 round mags for the officer size autos and if so...do they work reliably??

Wouldn't as flush mount mag make it easier to hide the pistol?

If things require it...then pull and load the larger mags......

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    For me,the hardest thing to hide is the mag well/end of grip. Thats why no extended mag bumpers(mine just barely stick out past the end of mag well)and no +1 shot(or 2 or 3 or 4)mag entensions. For me, small is good,bbl,slide,and grip.

We have some firing positions that we train in that the very long extended mags would not be useable in. That or we would have to change some of the positions/baracades. -------
    Last edited by RSSZ; August 4th, 2006 at 08:18 PM.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    OK I feel a flame or two coming on and that is ok I have broad shoulders, (heck I am the IT guy and everything is always my fault) so I can take it.

I carry one in the pipe and 7 in the magazine, surely that is enough to protect me and mine and also for the other people around when I'll NOT stand idly by. I see no reason to carry an extra magazine for everyday wear. If there are 3 or 4 bad guys with guns I should probably reevaluate my position to draw and shot anyway.

For everyday wear carrying more than one magazine crosses that thin line between preparedness and overkill.

Now if and when Texas decides to become its own Country again and all those Damn Yankees are storming the Capitol here in Austin then it is time for me to get the 1,000 rounds from the closet with my 5 magazines and load up, but for now I think my Kimber and 8 rounds will be more than enough.

FLAME ON!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

No need to invite flames, how about simply asking for opinions--I have one to offer.

Carrying an extra mag (or mags) is certainly not overkill.

I'm aware of the statistics about self-defense encounters, one or two shots at close distance being the average. We're prepared for this average encounter without any reload capability.

However, as an example, what if you're caught (as in no retreat possible) in some situation where a crazy shows up intent on randomly killing as many people as possible. In situations like that, to defend self and loved ones may require more ammo than your pistol holds, and you surely don't want to come up short!

We can't accurately predict how much ammo we'll need or when our gun will malfunction any more accurately than we can predict when we need to have a gun with us, so I see it as prudent to carry at least one reload.

But..........If a flush mag helps concealment of the pistol, 10 rounders shouldn't be much harder to conceal and adds a few extra rounds....IMHO

Will 10 round mags work with a pistol like the Springfield micro?

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy
    FLAME ON!
    Watch out for those fireballs. Looks like you had one the other night.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by polekat
    But..........If a flush mag helps concealment of the pistol, 10 rounders shouldn't be much harder to conceal and adds a few extra rounds....IMHO

Will 10 round mags work with a pistol like the Springfield micro?

IMO, No they won't fit with out potential damage done to the gun by insurting the mag to far.

I carry as you describe but I use the standard 7 round mag so I have 7+1 to carry and my back up is a 9 round Tripp Cobramag.

I carry the back up for two reasons. 1) more capacity and 2) more importantly I will have another mag incase my primary mag fails! Mag's fail, and will fail at the worst of times. Not having an extra on you could cost you your life someday.

Make sure the mag you use has the elongated stopper to keep the mag from going in to far and causing problems.

Another pic, but with the mag in place.

and another one to show you what I am talking about from the front. There is no possible way for me to push the mag in to far unless the slam pad fell off or something.

I hope this helps!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I carry one 8 round magazine in the weapon and one in the pipe. I also carry one spaes 8 round magazine. I hope that is more than enough if I an ever called on to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy
    For everyday wear carrying more than one magazine crosses that thin line between preparedness and overkill.

FLAME ON!
    As Ti Carry mentioned above, I always carry one spare magazine... not for the extra ammo so much as to remedy magazine or magazine related failures.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I carry Novak 8 round magazines for my 1911s in the gun, with one in the chamber and 7 in the magazine. I carry two extra mags.
    When I carry my Glock 19, I carry a 15 round mag, 1 in the chamber and 14 in the magazine. I carry an extra Glock 17 magazine with 17 rounds in it. I carry my magazines with the number of rounds they were designed for, most pistols and magazines stage (push it slightly forward in the magazine) the second round and each round there after.

Jungle Work

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    We can't accurately predict how much ammo we'll need or when our gun will malfunction any more accurately than we can predict when we need to have a gun with us, so I see it as prudent to carry at least one reload.
    By merely having a handgun with me, I'm better prepared than 99% of the US, and I'm almost always in a low-risk environment. I carry enough other crap with me most of the time--Wallet, 15 keys, small flashlight, multi-tool, PDA, cellphone, earplugs, and usually a .40 handgun. All of that is fairly necessary, and except for the handgun and a couple of the keys it all gets used at least a few times a week if not daily.

I'm probably going to add a tiny pepper spray to that, and if my risk were a bit higher, I could see adding a spare mag--More for mag malfunctions than because 10 rounds isn't enough. If risk increases to where I need a combat folder, an Asp and a BUG, etc, I'm more likely to work on risk factors than to increase my load of carried crap.

Taken to extremes, extra gear creates a hazard by itself--you become prepared for everything except running away.

I carry a Kimber Pro CDP & it is loaded w/ a Wilson Combat 8rd mag. One in the tube. 2 - 10 rd Wilsons w/ slam stops extra. Biggest reason for 2 is malfunction or dropped. I have watched several training films & have seen it many, Many, MANY times in competition. Dropped mags & ammo goes scattered everywhere. Malfunction. Saw that once in match too. If malfunction can happen in match it can happen in trouble. If dropped can happen under match hurry stress, it can sure happen under fire fight hurry stress. One of the old gunfighters, I think Wyatt Earp, said, The hardest thing to do is take your time when you are in a hurry.
    A quality mag carrier will hold them against your back & they are no deal to conceal. My cell phone is harder to hide than gun & mags are no deal at all.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I don't carry a 1911 style pistol, I carry a SIG 228. I keep the regular 13 round mag in and carry a full size SIG 226 15 round mag as a spare. I won't carry with the 15 rounder in because it does protrude a little much for me.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    I'm considering a .45 for my next gun but for now I carry a .40.

I didn't feel the need to carry an extra magazine because I rationalized I had 13 rounds... (12+1) BUT! Then two things were brought to my attention.

1) What if I accidentally disengaged my magazine and it dropped from my gun. (I know, very rare but "Murphy" is alive and well here in Nevada.)

2) There's also the possibility of Magazine failure.

So I’ve decided to always carry at least one spare magazine. “Murphy” knows me all too well!

When I get my .45 I'll probably get a couple 10 round magazines and carry one of them for my spare.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I carry a spare mag for the reasons stated above. It is an extended mag, but concealing it is no problem when it is not in the gun. If you need a spare mag, the extra rounds can't hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links