Armed citizen intervention

This is a discussion on Armed citizen intervention within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've just done an Examiner column on a shooting Saturday night in Skyway, a section of Renton, WA that is not exactly the high-rent district. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Armed citizen intervention

I've just done an Examiner column on a shooting Saturday night in Skyway, a section of Renton, WA that is not exactly the high-rent district.
    It's about an armed citizen who intervened in a shooting that took place right in front of him, took the bad guy down and 'cuffed him!

As a reporter, I'm always interested in public reaction, and suspect there will be some here. Give this a read, please, and weigh in if you like (and don't be shy!)

Armed citizen intervention in Skyway shooting ignites CCW debate

Armed citizen intervention in Skyway shooting ignites CCW debate - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

I would agree, in that I would not recommend any attempt at cuffing by untrained, inexperienced individuals.

The intervention is debatable.
    glockman10mm and RemMod597 like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I'd like to know why the guy was carrying handcuffs? Maybe looking for trouble and wanting to play cop?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

From some accounts in the media it appears both the victim and the shooter exchanged shots with each other prior to the intervention of the private citizen.

You can never completely tell for certainty from the outside what is actually going on in the situation you are intervening in.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I question the guys reasoning for carrying handcuffs......then 'struffing 'n cuffing' the guy.

Glad it all turned out OK, but............

Not enough info to make an objective judgement on the whole thing. Now, if I happen to be using an ATM and two knuckle-heads start shooting at each other, after something invoulentary and messy happens, it's gonna be all about MY surviving. I don't carry cuffs so that won't be an option.
    Gforty likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I think it's great that he was able to stop the situation from possibly getting worse and didn't have to shoot. He obviously didn't feel the need yet to pull the trigger and I'm sure he will sleep easier, knowing that he's alive without having to shoot someone. None of us want to go through that, we just prepare for it because we are not blind to society and are not influenced by people who are.

The comments from law enforcement and others regarding the cuffing of the suspect are spot on if you are not trained with them. Cuffs are another tool and unless you're trained in the combined use of handcuffs and firearms, then I wouldn't recommend it either. Reason? In an adrenaline filled situation, too many things can go wrong, including accidentally shooting the one you're trying to cuff. Unless you're trained in the use of handcuffs in concert with a firearm, don't do it.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

The vast majority of the time LEO's do not handcuff without a cover officer.

One of the most dangerous times when making an arrest is when you go to cuff the suspect.

Fight or flight. Hidden weapons. You never really know what you are going to encounter.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Just my perspective on this. Myself, I would NOT have intervened. I am not a LEO, I do not know what the circumstances were and I'm sure not going to put my life on the line in a situation I'm not sure of. As to cuffing someone, I don't have to worry about that. I don't carry or own handcuffs. I'm a civilian, I have no need for them. Now, this guy may have a job that he needs them, if so fine, hopefully if they are a work related item for him, he's trained in the use of them. I'm assuming citizens arrest is legal in WA state. In a state that does not have provisions for it, you could find yourself in big trouble for doing so.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Intervention Maybe..Cuffing the BG, do think so. Playing the Hero can get you burnt. Im glad it turned out ok for him, but it could have gone south real quick.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Firstly I am glad it turned out ok, but unless he is LEO or something related why carry cuffs? I have a pair of cuffs, but I would never consider carrying them unless I am at work. Playing cop when you aren't one can burn you really bad in court. Carrying cuffs can give a lawyer ammo for saying you were out looking for trouble.

Matthew
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

Senior Moderator
    The vast majority of the time LEO's do not handcuff without a cover officer.
    That depends entirely where you are at. Since I am the only officer on shift most of the people I have cuffed and stuffed have been while I was working alone.

It appears that the guy knew what he was doing and it all went well.

Good on him for having the gumption to make a difference, when most people would just discuss it on the net and discuss and justify never taking action for anything, no matter what.
    garyacman likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm glad it went well for him, I'm as confused though as most as to why he was carrying cuffs. I've carried cuffs but only because I was testing out a new design etc for a carrier, I've got no intent to use them I just need to make sure they carry comfortably;) That said I wonder if this guy might have been ex-LEO or something along those lines, it wasn't mentioned anywhere but that might be an explanation to why he was able to do it without as much issue perhaps he had been trained. Even so I think it's probably not a good idea in almost all cases.

Either way glad to hear it went well.

Luke

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Cuffs? Perhaps going on a hot date? I don't know.

I applaud the fact he intervened in someone else's defence. Being a witness is fine for those who choose to do so, but a witness won't save you--will only watch one's demise.

Too much is made of the "armed" citizen intervening. Just as in the AZ shooting, the media went nuts with the "armed intervention" by a guy who never drew his firearm. It was more of a "citizen intervention" by a person who happened to be armed.

Police Depts rarely if ever publicly recommend citizen intervention. Probably liability and job security concerns. As for me, I'll intervene when I feel I need to; won't when I don't.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

A non-LEO carrying cuffs + a permit to carry = ninja/wannabe/Gecko45

A permit does not grant any authorities to detain...and, as usual, LEOs will assume those who carry for personal defense may believe we all want to be cops...
    shockwave likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    A permit does not grant any authorities to detain...and, as usual, LEOs will assume those who carry for personal defense may believe we all want to be cops...

A permit is not needed to do the right thing.
    A permit is not needed to detain someone that has committed a felony.

Saying that LEO's assume anything is to assume way to much.

Much about this whole story is assumed.

We do not know the background of the citizen involved.

Critizing him for carry cuffs, rather than applauding the success of his effort, seems to be pretty ridiculous to me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links