Carrying While Wearing A Suit

This is a discussion on Carrying While Wearing A Suit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A suit is the easiesty way on Earth to carry. Either MTAC IWB or OWB with a carry loc or such at 4 o'clock....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Carrying While Wearing A Suit

A suit is the easiesty way on Earth to carry. Either MTAC IWB or OWB with a carry loc or such at 4 o'clock.

2. Remove Ads

I don't take my suit jacket off in meetings even if everyone else does. I carry a Commander-sized 1911 IWB in a Sparks VM2. What makes it practical for me is a good belt - 1 1/4" in black from the Beltman. Looks like a dress belt but carries the weight. I have heard of people having a tailor rearange their belt loops to work around the position they want the holster in and also sewing extra material inside the suit jacket where it rubs over the gun but I haven't gotten to that point yet. Neither have I had the jackets tailored for extra room on the gun side. I'm just a little careful if I have to brush the jacket back to get something out of my pants pocket. Other than that, I haven't had any issues.
    357and40 likes this.

I have a Raven on order for my M&P compact, and I think that will help. Right now, if I try my usual 4 o'clock position, it prints bad. Do you guys have your suits tailored with the gun? I wear "athletic fit" jackets if that helps at all.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    IWB tuckable works GREAT for me. I have a Taurus TCP 738 (mine is a little workhorse, unlike some on here who have had problems) that I sometimes pocket carry in a suit. If you want to go with a larger gun, I have easily concealed my XD9SC in a Kholster IWB tuckable at weddings. That even allowed me to take my coat off to dance with my wife at the reception! And being the officiant at almost every wedding I attend, getting made carrying would be a bad idea. Never happened so far. :) So go with a Kholster (they are a site sponsor) if you want it cheap, or a Crossbreed or Milt Sparks if you want really nice (and more pricey).
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Shoulder holster, cause a suit/shoulder holster combo is just cool ^_^
    Justified likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm always hot, regardless of the temp. Keeping a suit coat on would kill me. Suit pockets tend to be a little larger than most, and I find that a PM9 in a front pants pocket holster keeps me armed, concealed and hug-proof at all times.

Did I mention that I hate wearing suits?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think the most comfortable would be either a Miami classic shoulder holster or an OWB pancake holster.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

When I wear a suit, I generally carry an officer's sized 1911 with a tuckable IWB. If I think I'm going to take off the jacket, I'll do the tuck, but if not then I leave it. Generally, I only wear suits to church and there are several of us who leave our jackets on, even when it gets warm.
    I have also carried a snubbie .357 in a Don Hume OWB and it stays well out of site.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I wear dark suits everyday. I have been carrying IWB in several different holsters and several different models so whatever IWB holster you like is fine. I carry at 3:30.

Can't do shoulder because I hug alot of people. Ankle carry is not good because it can be bulky with silk blend suits because of how the fabric falls. Also, sitting down causes the pant leg to ride up and would expose the weapon, or it can get caught on the grip and show the weapon.

Wearing a suit is by far the easiest when it comes to concealed carry. People ask why I don't take my coat off indoors or out in the SC heat, and I tell them it's because I'm used to wearing it. The sheep don't know the truth behind it.
    I keep meaning to buy some nice new suits for work but I keep spending all the money on gun stuff
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    I keep meaning to buy some nice new suits for work but I keep spending all the money on gun stuff
    you and me both my friend. Wearing them everyday takes its toll on them, especially the pants. I have ripped suits on tables, had burns in the material, etc. They wear down fast in this business. Company buys me 2-4 suits a year, and average life span on a suit (in great shape) is about 1.5-2 years.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    you and me both my friend. Wearing them everyday takes its toll on them, especially the pants. I have ripped suits on tables, had burns in the material, etc. They wear down fast in this business. Company buys me 2-4 suits a year, and average life span on a suit (in great shape) is about 1.5-2 years.
    Right and a quality suit is like 6-800.00
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I would really rather not tailor my pants to have IWB. There are some situations where I can't carry while in a suit, which would make the pants too baggy and look unprofessional, IMO (I've seen it on a buddy of mine). I was hoping I could find a good way to carry OWB - a good holster, good position on the body, a combination of the two that would not print. I've tried a shoulder rig before, didn't seem to work well for me - printed too badly. My old paddle holster made it look like I had a giant tumor on my hip, so thats out too. I would think with a jacket on, this would be easy to CC.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    I would really rather not tailor my pants to have IWB. There are some situations where I can't carry while in a suit, which would make the pants too baggy and look unprofessional, IMO (I've seen it on a buddy of mine). I was hoping I could find a good way to carry OWB - a good holster, good position on the body, a combination of the two that would not print. I've tried a shoulder rig before, didn't seem to work well for me - printed too badly. My old paddle holster made it look like I had a giant tumor on my hip, so thats out too. I would think with a jacket on, this would be easy to CC.
    OJ you can get away with a pair of pants that is an inch larger than usual for IWB carry, and of course the CCW has to be a small one to avoid the "outseam roll" that you see on pants that are too big in the waist and have to be tightened down with a belt. I have mine tailored to where the waist is somewhat snug but not tight. I hold three fingers in the waist while the tailor pulls the backside for the pinning. This allows a little room for a CCW without the rest of the pants looking sloppy if worn w/o the weapon. I plan to begin carry a 1911 soon and I have found that the slide is significantly thinner than the S&W 457 or the G29, and I will have to have my pants taken in an inch or so to make them "suitable".

OWB would be ideal, but as you stated, it causes quite a bulge. There are exceptions of course with certain holsters but I won't be going that route.

BTW, I think the shoulder holsters are only cool when yo don;t have the jacket on and you can see the whole rig.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Another problem I might foresee in carring in a suit would be a good belt selection that is "fancy" enough for the outfit but a good CCW belt as well. I could be wrong there might be good choices out there.
    - George Orwell Military

I carry while in a suit at church. I use a cheap nylon OWB holster, 'cept that I put it outside the belt. I wear it at 3:30 and lace the belt thru the back holster loop, then the 3:00 belt loop, then the front holster loop. This way it supports the weight better ( just a Kahr CW40) and keeps the gun closer than if I use the belt only. This also make it easier to change clothes after church. I just have to be a little careful when I get my keys out of the front pocket. I try to not make these things too complicated

dave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links