Carrying While Wearing A Suit

This is a discussion on Carrying While Wearing A Suit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Paladin3840 FIST, Inc. FIST #12 at 4:00. Product link: FIST, INC. This would seem to be a more comfortable option. I found ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Carrying While Wearing A Suit

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    FIST, Inc. FIST #12 at 4:00.
    Product link: FIST, INC.

This would seem to be a more comfortable option. I found that adapting to a 4-4:30 position allows for a much more comfortable ride.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

2. Remove Ads

+1 I've got 5 of them (well, actually only 4 - I'm waiting for the 5th one to arrive)!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I love carrying with a suit. I normally carry in an OWB holster and can use a bigger gun while carrying in an OWB holster. My cost is cut a bit bigger to support my weapon. When you get fitted for your suit. Carry you gun. Whoever is doing the fit will fit you around your gun.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

PM
    My "problem" is i get hot (or at least did before losing 107 lbs. Have not wore a suit much in the last 2 years) so I want to be able to take the coat off. The only time I have wore a suit in the last 2 years I chose not to carry. Most of the time and if I find I am not as "hot blooded" as I was I would carry in a highnoon at 3:00-3:30.

either one of the "bra" type or "crotch" type holsters works best in a suit. Remora works too, but not quite as concealable or comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    Having started with an Uncle Mike's, believe me!

Get a good IWB and try it again!
    Absolutely. Cheap nylon holsters are terrible for IWB wear. Actually, they are pretty lousy for any use.
    raytracer likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Another problem I might foresee in carring in a suit would be a good belt selection that is "fancy" enough for the outfit but a good CCW belt as well. I could be wrong there might be good choices out there.
    Just about any of the custom makers can fix you up with good gun belts that are also fancy enough for dress wear. Just plan to spend $80 to $100 for one.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

For what I do, this is usually how I dress but sometimes I need to wear a complete suit. I've always carried a full size handgun and even a few that were larger. In this pic, I'm carrying a Commander sized 1911. I don't have one of me in a full suit, but using a quality inside the waistband holster like a VMII, Raven Concealment (inside or outside), Crossbreed, Secret City, etc., a nice dress belt is more than adequate when worn comfortably tight. Wearing an extra mag or two helps balance that weight. When I dress in a suit, I am often getting in and out of cars and doing a lot of moving. I've never once had a problem.

Now, there is at least one company that offers dress belt designed for carry. With a good holster that has the loops spread out a bit, it's more than sufficient. I'll post back with a link if I can find it.

Disclaimer - I'm squinting because it was extremely bright outside… I'm not doing it on purpose!

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

See, when I carry IWB, I always look like I have a tumor on my strong side. Maybe it's just the cheap holster. I have a Raven on order that should be here next month sometime so maybe that will help.

Is there a good ride height that helps eliminate the "tumor" thing? I've been CC for a while now, and have never been able to tuck my shirt in bc of this. If it all has to do with a good holster, then hopefully that will be remedied when I get mine.

J
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not so much the ride height as it is the thickness of the holster and placement of the loops. The wider the loops are spread out, the flatter it'll ride while they provide a sort or taper as opposed to just abruptly stopping.

With the Raven, order the extra pieces that spread the loops out farther. This is one of the thinnest holsters out there, so you should be good to go.

I wear somewhat fitted jeans and t shirts quite often and you can definitely tell something is there and I'm ok with that, I just try to keep it as low pro as possible. I now carry a Glock 17 and one or two spare mags.

In a suit, there's no way anyone will notice it on me and all of my suits are tailored and are a modern cut. I carry right at 3 o'clock and have little cant. I used to carry farther back with a heavier cant. Next time I am in a suit, which would be early to mid week, I'll try to remember to get a pic.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

My biggest problem is that most suit pants are made for a 1" or maybe a 1 1/4" belt. Not much support for an IWB holster.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

I've found a sharkskin belt is dressy, and stiff for a suit.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    My biggest problem is that most suit pants are made for a 1" or maybe a 1 1/4" belt. Not much support for an IWB holster.
    Off the rack, yes, but just about any decent suit company such as Men's Wearhouse and Jos A Bank can change the belt loops.

I can see (as you probably do as well) that there are a multitude of good suggetions here. As for me, back in the day I wore suits, it was a shoulder rig for my 1911.
    "You cannot get the water to clear up until you get the pigs out of the creek." - An old West Virginia Hillbilly saying

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

I can vouch for the Remora with a suit. Tucks cleanly underneath the dress shirt and works just fine with the retention of your dress pants and standard dress belt. No need to worry about keeping your jacket on all the time if you don't want to. And Alan is FANTASTIC to deal with as well. Great product and great service.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links