Carrying While Wearing A Suit

This is a discussion on Carrying While Wearing A Suit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok gents, I find myself wearing suits more often than just Sunday's now, so I need some advice on how you do it. I used ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Carrying While Wearing A Suit

Ok gents, I find myself wearing suits more often than just Sunday's now, so I need some advice on how you do it. I used to just carry my BUG in a pocket holster in my left inside breast pocket in my jacket, but I'd really like to find a way to carry my primary (M&P 9c) as well, or instead of. This morning I wore a dark suit (I find it prints less than a lighter one) & had it in a cheap Uncle Mike's neoprene holster between my pants & belt @ about 2 0'clock. It wasn't very comfortable, especially while seated, but was surprisingly good at concealing.

Another point to consider is often times I will have either my 4th old son in tow holding my left hand, or I will be holding my 5 month old daughter with my left arm. So it would be very beneficial if it was easy to access one-handed, but I know this may not always be possible. So what do you guys think? How do you carry in a suit?

J

What about a shoulder holster? Or get a belly band and use that.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

When I wore sport coats routinely, the classic Milt Sparks Summer Special worked like a champ for me. I carried a full-size 1911 at the time and the sport coat offered great cover. The worst part was wear on the coat lining from the butt of my gun, but that's the "cost of doing business." I carried at the 4 o'clock position, just aft of the point of the hip.

Clearing the gun on-handed is easier when wearing the jacket if there is something with modest weight in the lower strong-side (holster-side) pocket. When you have to draw, a quick twist of the hip will help push that side of the jacket rearward - easier to do than to describe.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

FIST, Inc. FIST #12 at 4:00.

When I wear a suit, I usually go between two guns. First choice, Glock 19 carried in either a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster or a belt slide for minimal leather. I've tried a few shoulder holsters over the years and own several Classics for comfort and concealability.

My second carry choice is a S&W 36, again carried in a Galco shoulder holster. Not sure of the model, but hides well and is comfortable to wear all day. My other holster is a Bianchi #8 Shadow. It rides high and close as well as having a thumb snap.

I seldom wear sports coats or dress up clothes (that's as close as I get to a suit) but when I do it's a j-frame in an ankle holster. I also wear the ankle holster when working in the hospital, it works well with scrubs also.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I wear dark suits everyday. I have been carrying IWB in several different holsters and several different models so whatever IWB holster you like is fine. I carry at 3:30.

Can't do shoulder because I hug alot of people. Ankle carry is not good because it can be bulky with silk blend suits because of how the fabric falls. Also, sitting down causes the pant leg to ride up and would expose the weapon, or it can get caught on the grip and show the weapon.

Wearing a suit is by far the easiest when it comes to concealed carry. People ask why I don't take my coat off indoors or out in the SC heat, and I tell them it's because I'm used to wearing it. The sheep don't know the truth behind it.
    Justified and DirkD like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I have carried outside the waistband for 30 plus years. Twenty-five of them in a suit scenario. I haven't had a gunfight every block.

I find much too much is made of whether one's gun hand is free 60/24/7/365.

Pack heat. Train to draw and shoot from where you are packing your heat. And go out and live life. Stop obsessing over minutia. Minutia that is being instilled in people for no good reason.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Ankle carry is not good because it can be bulky with silk blend suits because of how the fabric falls. Also, sitting down causes the pant leg to ride up and would expose the weapon, or it can get caught on the grip and show the weapon.
    Not to mention you may not be able to get to it when you need it. A former (or maybe he still is) court officer friend of mine can attest to how that can mess your day up.

The real question is how many guns can you carry wearing a suit. Watch the Secret Service when Reagan was shot.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    IWB 3:30 MTAC or Crossbreed tuckables

Here are the choices in order of accessibility. You can easily blouse your dress shirt over the grip if you have to remove the sport coat. You can enclose the grip with the shirt tail, and then blouse the shirt. Finally, you can tuck loosely enough to avoid printing and mirror the look of the shirt on the other side. When the sport coat goes back on, you can stuff the shirt tail back behind the grip. Also, gasmitty's suggestion of a little weight is recommended.

If you never remove the sport coat, the Miami Classic II shoulder rig is my favorite, especially for sitting and long drives. The empty IWB is still worn for flexibility.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I wear a suit every day to work. I cannot carry in the building, but when I go out I find that my PT709 in a soft nylon clip style IWB at the 5 oclock position works out really well for me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Having started with an Uncle Mike's, believe me!

Get a good IWB and try it again!
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

It all depends on how discreet you need to be. If you never take your jacket off, concealing in a suit is easy. If you do, and/or you are concerned about hugs or a "bump frisk" then your options get more limited.

I used a Smartcarry for over 3 years. I wore it at the 11 o'clock position. After that time, it started to cause me pain, due to long hours sitting/driving.

I now carry two small pistols in either pants pocket, either a PM9 and a LCP, or two LCPs. Very comfy, and very discreet. This setup also allows for ambidextrous access (an issue with kids which I also have to deal with), and also affords you a "NY reload" in the event one pistol runs dry or malfunctions. I just moved my keys and cell phone to my belt, and put my wallet in my rear pocket. That freed up both front pockets for the pistols.

I carry this way in my suit, or in casual clothes. Same setup, all the time. Consistency when under stress is a good thing.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Minotaur M-Tac or Milt Sparks VM2 (with tuckable clips or with loops) will work really well with a suit. The jacket adds a tremendous level of concealment. I carry an M&P 40c daily tucked.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links