1st Traffic Stop with CCW

This is a discussion on 1st Traffic Stop with CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was stopped at a DWI road check. As I approached, I turned on my interior light and located my DL. I keep my proof ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ArkhmAsylm

Thread: 1st Traffic Stop with CCW

I was stopped at a DWI road check. As I approached, I turned on my interior light and located my DL. I keep my proof of insurance and registration handy and pulled those out too. As I slowly approached the LEO I kept both hands on the wheel in sight. Once stopped I simply stated I was required to let him him know I have a CCW and am carrying. I asked how he would like to proceed. The LEO simply said just hand me your DL. I asked if he needed registration/proof of insurance. He said no but he wanted to check my tags. He walked to the rear of my vehicle and back around. The officer gave my DL back and said have a good evening. I told him to stay safe and have a good night.

No hassle. Low stress. Very professional.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I see nothing wrong with this event. Sounds like you did everything right & that this wasn't this LEO's first rodeo.
    SCGunLover1

Good job on you and the cop

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Sound like all went well. I have been in 6 different check points in 13 years and all went just like yours ,several times on a motorcyle. Half where troppers stops, half were by the sheriffs.

yes it is nice when they go good like that.

My first traffic stop went very well also.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

With ccw so prevalent I think that in most areas, this is how things will go in the future. There will be exceptions, but I don't think they will be the rule.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Good to hear your stop went well!

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Sounds good, except for the check point. I can't say I agree with them as it would be the same as stopping you while you walk around town to I.D. you without RAS. This is just my opinion & doesn't require an argument.
    ksholder likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    If I have nothing to fear and all the leo's around here are just checking for know criminals and bums driveing when they should not or some one hauling drugs. There not profileing. I have nothing to fear over that. They don't even walk to there cars to check your info or anything. Just look to see if tag is good and you have a liecence. I would rather have some of the rif-raf off the roads and these stops work good for that . I watch them run a check point behind my house from time to time and get to see some hauled off to jail, get to watch a druck stagger around, some just have to wait to be picked up by friends or family and some turn around to flee and the chase is on. If no BG's were on the road there would be no reason to check. Kinda like at the airports today only way easier and no x-rays

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    If I have nothing to fear and all the leo's around here are just checking for know criminals and bums driveing when they should not or some one hauling drugs. There not profileing. I have nothing to fear over that. They don't even walk to there cars to check your info or anything. Just look to see if tag is good and you have a liecence. I would rather have some of the rif-raf off the roads and these stops work good for that . I watch them run a check point behind my house from time to time and get to see some hauled off to jail, get to watch a druck stagger around, some just have to wait to be picked up by friends or family and some turn around to flee and the chase is on. If no BG's were on the road there would be no reason to check. Kinda like at the airports today only way easier and no x-rays
    It's apt that you use the airport x-ray comparison - how easy it is to travel by air now? Is it really any safer? The TSA is basically given an open license to do whatever they deem necessary to ensure security...all while not actually making things safer. They're just spilling people's urine on them & groping kids because they don't want to profile, but still have a job to do.

Translate that to the real world - rights start dissappearing because "it'll make us all safer" with no actual change in the level of safety. All we get out of it are reduced freedoms & the placebo of things being safer just because...because they stopped someone on their way to work? How far can we shave the 14th amendment before it becomes meaningless?

That's the jist of my original comment.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Links