Another poll they'll try to use against us in Legislative Seessions

This is a discussion on Another poll they'll try to use against us in Legislative Seessions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ABC poll-Should self defense be allowed on College Campuses Should Guns be Allowed on College Campuses? Results broken down by State So far, no one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Another poll they'll try to use against us in Legislative Seessions

Another poll they'll try to use against us in Legislative Seessions

ABC poll-Should self defense be allowed on College Campuses

Should Guns be Allowed on College Campuses?

Results broken down by State

So far, no one wants the right to defend themselves on college campuses ... spread the word and vote

2. Remove Ads

The problem is that they need to preface the question with the concept that the only people who would be allowed to carry on campus would be those with concealed carry permits, and then state the requirements to obtain such a permit. I think too many people assume when reading the question about guns on campus that they just mean any person who wants to could carry.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    The problem is that they need to preface the question with the concept that the only people who would be allowed to carry on campus would be those with concealed carry permits, and then state the requirements to obtain such a permit. I think too many people assume when reading the question about guns on campus that they just mean any person who wants to could carry.
    True they "should" but I read the "testimony" and watched in Texas' last legislative session; all the legislators get is "93% were against guns on campus in the poll we had on campus"

These (fake rigged) polls held a lot of weight on unknowing legislators.

Most polls are biased in their wording such as "Would you want kids bringing guns to school"

Instead of

"Would you prefer to keep the status quo of providing easy access to guns on campus for criminals by forcing law abiding licensees to store them in cars while the law abiding citizen runs into the library, for the vehicle burglars to steal and use in other crimes later."

I've seen polls on this, mostly biased, and see, depending on the place the poll is posted, and the wording, completely opposing results.

These are "push polls" worded in order to produce a desired result....legislators don't know that.

Lots of sheep at the polls today!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Now there's a pool of ninny sheep!

You're right, adric22. They do need to be more specific, but then they would actually be conducting an honest poll...wouldn't they?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Statistically, this is next to irrelevant for a nationwide poll. It's voluntary, and an extremely small amount of people have responded.

I'm bored so I voted and left some comments. I doubt it will do any good. However, it is a fun way to waste time this late at night.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I voted, but didn't register for the to leave comments or vote on any of the other comments. There are three things that I found interesting about this poll. While statistically it is really irrelevant, it does show the opinion, informed or not, of the random internet user who came across this site. BTW, until this thread, I had never heard of Soda Head before.

1) As was previously stated, the poll was poorly worded to an extreme with the obvious intent to achieve a desired result

2) The typical NO responder clearly does not understand the laws behind concealed carry based upon the comments. For example, many of them opposed combining guns + alcohol on campus. Other comments were enlightening in regards to the common anti-gun thinking, e.g. "Isn't this what the police are for", and "more guns to defend against guns, duh". It has been my experience that even when faced with data that shows this kind of thinking to be in error, that such thinking persists. My mother for example, vehemently opposes the idea of us get our CC licenses and especially owning any guns and asks, "why would you need them even for home, don't you have an alarm system that would call the police?" Other comments from my mother include, "You don't need to be committing any homicide", not realizing that in a real SD situation if one were to commit such an act that the choice undoubtedly came down to committing one or being the victim of one, and "You just need to move".

3) The YES votes were far more prolific, with rational, reasoned explanations than the NO votes, both in terms of quantity of votes and rational behind their opinion.

I am really beginning to think that one needed provision that was left out of the constitution was that in order to be able to vote on a subject you must actually be educated and know something about said subject, not just have an uniformed opinion based upon fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    True they "should" but I read the "testimony" and watched in Texas' last legislative session; all the legislators get is "93% were against guns on campus in the poll we had on campus"

These (fake rigged) polls held a lot of weight on unknowing legislators.

Most polls are biased in their wording such as "Would you want kids bringing guns to school"

Instead of

"Would you prefer to keep the status quo of providing easy access to guns on campus for criminals by forcing law abiding licensees to store them in cars while the law abiding citizen runs into the library, for the vehicle burglars to steal and use in other crimes later."

I've seen polls on this, mostly biased, and see, depending on the place the poll is posted, and the wording, completely opposing results.

These are "push polls" worded in order to produce a desired result....legislators don't know that.
    Don't fool yourself. They have conducted enough of their own polls. They know exactly how polls are worded to reach a desired outcome.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Were at 39% we need to get this poll up!! Funny how considering how many polls we win by majority you never see polls we win on the news or anything. Damn number manipulation, obviously they edit the polls to "more accuratley depict the results" meaning they only show people whose zodiac starts with a C and voted on tuesdays and thursdays between 647-833 and 1526-1624. ^_^

If all goes to plan and the KY State Police don't take forever I should have my permit in the next couple months, I take the KY CCDW class this Saturday and I have every intention of dropping the paperwork off the following Monday.

I just want someone to explain to me why, as a 21 year old senior in college, I have to check my self defense rights at the edge of campus? By the time I get my license I will have been through something like 8 hours of classroom time, a written test, a range qualification, paperwork filled out under oath, an official photo taken, fingerprints, and from what I understand a fairly extensive background check on the state and federal level. After all that do they really think I'd be a danger to anyone besides a person attempting to do me great bodily harm?

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I am really beginning to think that one needed provision that was left out of the constitution was that in order to be able to vote on a subject you must actually be educated and know something about said subject, not just have an uniformed opinion based upon fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
    Yep - I have thought this many times. I actually wish the states and the federal government would create an online voting system whereby you could actually login and vote on specific topics. Not just candidates, but actually voice your opinion on specific issues. But before allowing you to vote, you would be forced to read a few pages of information presented by each side of the argument and answer a few questions to show you fully read and understood the topic. Then you could cast your vote. Then the politicians could use the information obtained there to better make decisions that affect the entire population. I suspect we'd have laws that make a lot more sense.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Yep - I have thought this many times. I actually wish the states and the federal government would create an online voting system whereby you could actually login and vote on specific topics. Not just candidates, but actually voice your opinion on specific issues. But before allowing you to vote, you would be forced to read a few pages of information presented by each side of the argument and answer a few questions to show you fully read and understood the topic. Then you could cast your vote. Then the politicians could use the information obtained there to better make decisions that affect the entire population. I suspect we'd have laws that make a lot more sense.

Going slightly off topic, but in the interests of actually DOING something about this kind of crap, you might find this organization of interest: Americans Elect 2012 | The first-ever open presidential nomination They were discussing it on a local radio talk show recently and apparently their intent is to put a candidate on the national ballot for president in 2012. The mechanism is much like you describe. They are currently working on getting the needed (physical paper signature) petitions to gain the rights to put a candidate on the ballot and apparently doing quite well at it. Then they will take nominations for a president and vice president as well as submissions for questions on the important issues. The candidates must respond to those questions and then the people will vote based upon those responses. The winner will be on the 2012 ballot. They also say that they will not accept corporate or other lobby/interest group money, only small donations from individuals.
    MikeNice likes this.

Thanks for the post. I heard it on 101 and forget the name of the group.

I still don't understand the "alcohol + hormones + guns" argument. Do people honestly think that college students all show up to class drunk and beating each other up? Been in college for 4 years and have yet to see this happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links