Reciprocity and Honoring permits

This is a discussion on Reciprocity and Honoring permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I am confused about an issue and everytime I think I find ...

Thread: Reciprocity and Honoring permits

Reciprocity and Honoring permits

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I am confused about an issue and everytime I think I find out more info I only seem to get more questions.

What is the difference between reciprocity vs. a state honoring anothers permit?

Also what is the difference between states who do not wish to enter into reciprocity agreements and states that do not honor each others permits?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    When a state "honors"a permit, it has a provision in the states handgun carry law that recognizes the permits of other states. An example would be Missouri which recognizes any states permit.

When a state has "reciprocity" with another state, it means that the Governors or Attorney Generals of each state have a signed a letter of agreement that each state would recognize the permit of the other.
    An example of that would Arkansas, which has what as know as a "reciprocal agreement " with the state of Tennessee.

The main difference is that if a state "honors"a permit, it usually means that ANY permit from ANY state is good in that state.Since its included in the way that the law was written, no other mumbo jumbo is required.

A state that has "reciprocal agreement" means that only the state that has it is good in that state.

Personally, I think that an "Honor"system is better than a reciprocal system. It ought be just like your drivers liscense that is good in any of the 50 states.

Clear as mud ?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Also what is the difference between states who do not wish to enter into reciprocity agreements and states that do not honor each others permits?
    Whoops...forgot to answer in the last post.

The difference mainly lies in the Governors or Attorney Generals and thier attitudes and in the way that their concealed handgun laws are written.

A "reciprocal agreement "can be rescinded at any time for any reason simply by pulling the letter of agreement. For instance, if an antigun Governor wins the next election and he is an avowed Marxist and doesnt beleive that us commoners should have permits, he can pull all the agreements.

A state that " honors" usually has this built into the law, so it would be much more difficult for some antigub heathen to change it after the fact.

In ethier case, its important to remember that if you are in another state with a permit from your state, you are bound by the lawas of the state that you are IN at the time.
    An example would be that some states require notifying an LEO of concealed carry in the event of a traffic stop. Other states dont.

If you dont do it in a state that says you must, you could lose your permit over it. Its important to know the laws BEFORE you enter in.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

well, I know it's mud, but I don't know about the clear part.

The way I interpret it is like this:
    Reciprocity is a FORMAL agreement allowing permit holders from each state to carry in each others state.

However, one state can HONOR another state permit, but not have that agreement in both directions. In other words I can NOT legally carry in a particular state, but other permit holders from that state can legally carry here.

Do I have this right or is the mud getting more solidified?

VIP Member
    Looks like you got it. Reciprocity is a two way street, honoring is a one way street.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Also I think what was/is throwing me off is the department of safety website does not distinguish HONORING of permits from reciprocity. It only say what states have a reciprocity agreement and what states do not wish to enter into such agreements.

That seems misleading to me becuase it gives the impression that those states not wanting to enter into a reciprocity agreement do not honor the permit either. Which does not seem to be the case for certain states.

What I am really trying to do is verify information with more than one source in order to double check things and cover my butt. However, it seems to have incured a good deal of confusion.

Anyone else have this type of experience through their own research?

Senior Moderator
    Yeah they can be very misleading. Most of them are written by laywers that have a hard time making anything easy to understand.

Best thing is to check the states laws to make sure of what you can and cant do.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member

Go Glock...

I got the folks in the Department of Safety who run the reciprocity page to add New Mexico to the "honor" part of the page about two months ago. About a month ago, I sent them another email with more information from the www.handgunlaw.us website, including links to the other states that also honor Tennessee permits. That would have brought up to twenty-nine the number of states (not including Tennessee itself) that either honor our permits or have reciprocity with Tennessee. As of yet, I don't think they have done anything about the second email.

Wow that was your that got NM on there... thats great!
    (I frequent NM and was wondering about these two states.)

It is kind of disconcerting to learn that many more states honor TN permits then the TN department of safety will verify. I always thought/ told that the Department of safety was the final word on this kind of stuff. This kind of stuff also makes me nervouse in the sense that some many people can say so many different things. I don't want to have to defend my actions of carrying into a state that someone else thinks I can not carry into...more so if I was forced to defend my life and some technicallity came up like this. YIKES

VIP Member

Go Glock...

I think you should be okay as long as you verify the information with the state into which you are traveling. For example, Tennessee won't charge you for carrying in Kentucky--Tennessee authorities have no jurisdiction there. I don't travel out-of-state much, but when I do, I will contact the controlling authorities in those states before travel to get exact information.

Good luck, and good shooting!

Senior Moderator
    What you do need to know is Tennessee law inside and out.

Some states....Arkansas included,have language that says if you are charged with any gun related infraction in another state, you can lose your liscence.

I dont know if TN has that, buts its very important for you not to run afoul in another state.

It can be a challenge to be aware of everything. Even the laws change occasionally, ours have changed twice already. Websites were you can get information tend to be updated very slowly, so you have to be careful.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    Recoprocity will also allow a resident to carry in their home state on an out of state permit. Az cancelled reciprocity with Utah last year because Az residence were taking the 3 hour course instead of Az's 8 hour course, so they were not being taught Az's laws on concealed carry & use of deadly force.
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by KMBRTAC45
    Recoprocity will also allow a resident to carry in their home state on an out of state permit. Az cancelled reciprocity with Utah last year because Az residence were taking the 3 hour course instead of Az's 8 hour course, so they were not being taught Az's laws on concealed carry & use of deadly force.
    They didn't have to do that. They could have done like they do here in Michigan. Only resident permits are honored, reciprocity or not.

Corps Waters

I got a question after reading the uslaw site. If I am on board a boat on a corps of engineer lake that is part of a waterway, am I being illegal if I have a gun aboard. By the way, the boat quailifies as a vacation home (cook and sleeping capable).

Springfield XD Service 9MM
    Sig Mosquito w/Red Dot
    Taurus 22 Auto Pocket Pistol
    S&W Chief's Special
    Remington 870
    Enfield Mark III
    SA Black Stainless PX9152L
    Browning BPS 12 ga Upland Special

Senior Moderator
    As long as you are within the states boundaries and are following laws of the state in which you have your permit, you should be good to go.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Links