What's "decent shooting" from a CCW gun? - Page 2

What's "decent shooting" from a CCW gun?

This is a discussion on What's "decent shooting" from a CCW gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Decent shooting with a CCW is simply hitting what you aim at 80% of the time. Excellent shooting is hitting what you aim at 98% ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's "decent shooting" from a CCW gun?

Decent shooting with a CCW is simply hitting what you aim at 80% of the time. Excellent shooting is hitting what you aim at 98% of the time. IMHO.
    God Bless the USA

VIP Member
    It's always very revealing for me to put the ol' paper plate up on my target at say 15 yards then do some "draw and fire" double taps.

Needless to say, my former 2” target groups open up considerably!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman
    DAMN! Sticky's? What size?
    They make some pretty big ones now, about poster size or so. I know, I've seen them. That's what I'd use, 11"x17" at least.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Find a pin shooting club - at ours you shoot 10 full size bowling pins and/or the upper half of a pin at 45 feet within 30 seconds. If you can take down a full size pin every time you shoot at it with your carry gun, you will be plenty accurate enough for CCW purposes.

Practice shooting at 5 yards, when you can draw and fire and put 5 rounds in 5 inches in 5 seconds you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan
    Practice shooting at 5 yards, when you can draw and fire and put 5 rounds in 5 inches in 5 seconds you are good to go.
    That's good advice. In my CCW class we used paper plates only and shot at a maximum of 21 ft.

I think if you can get to the point that you can put nearly all your rounds into the 8 or 9 inch plate at 21 ft. shooting as fast as you can, you're doing good for self-defense.

It's also a good idea to practice other scenarios, if you're at a range that allows it. That is, shooting from behind cover, laying down, one handed, LEFT handed, from the "low ready position", MOVING away from the target, etc, at ranges of between 5 ft. and 21 ft.

Lenny Magill has some good videos out that helped me alot in knowing what I should be trying to "shoot for" and the things I should be practicing. "Move, Shoot, Live" is a good one, along with "Concealed Carry." I would suggest these two for beginners, or even those who know firearms but are fairly new to concealed carry.
    Doug

Sig P229 .357/.40, G17, G19, G23, G27, Bushmaster XM-15, Ruger PC9 Carbine, Win. 1300 'Defender' 12 Ga. (among others)

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

I think we should keep in mind , that paper targets DON"T shoot back!. And I hope none of us have to find out the hard way. Lest we forget.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Let's face it, if the SHTF, our shots are going to be all over the place. With a little luck, most of them, or hopefully some of them will actually hit the Bad Guy.

Decent shooting to me means being able to consistently place 2 rounds on target in the shortest time possible. That means different things to different people. No one is exactly like me nor am I exactly like someone else. If the firearm I am carrying allows me to put 2 rounds on target, comfortably, consistently, and in a shortest amount of time possible, then that is "decent shooting".

If i can only put 2 rounds of .38 COM consistently, then that's "decent shooting" and what I should heavily consider as a carry. If I can put 2 rounds of .454 Casull COM consistently, then I need to find a much bigger pair of pants to fit that new Ruger into! LOL!

A "decent shooting" handgun is one you can shoot comfortably, consistently, accurately, and quickly with at least 2 rounds COM. Anything else is really only a paperweight.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Face it guys, none of our targets shoot back at us so who knows what's really going to happen in a shootout? All you can do is give it your best shot(s). Should it happen to you best of luck/skill to ya.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links