What's "decent shooting" from a CCW gun?

This is a discussion on What's "decent shooting" from a CCW gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's rarely anyone at my range when I shoot, and in the 10 or so times I've been there, the only handgun shooting I've seen ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's "decent shooting" from a CCW gun?

There's rarely anyone at my range when I shoot, and in the 10 or so times I've been there, the only handgun shooting I've seen besides me and my guests has been the IPDA club. I really don't know what's decent, average shooting from a combat handgun at typical ranges. To pick an example--What would be a decent but not outstanding slow-fire 5 shot group size for an automatic with a 3" barrell (about 4" sight radius) at 10 yards?

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Well, you need to be able to put the shots in the vitals of someone at that range, so aim for achieving at least 4-5.5'' to start with. Ive got a Kel-Tec that will keep most of its shots touching at that range, so that shouldnt be a problem. The main thing is that you can hit what youre aiming at, and do so quickly. Pinpoint accuracy isnt required, but you do need to be able to place your shots on a human-sized target with ease.
    Last edited by hsuCowboy98; August 4th, 2006 at 09:58 PM.
    Fear No Evil.

To start with till you get a lot of practice and can pick up your speed and accuracy 8inch plate will get it done .. Im not saying you should strive for just that but start there with fast shooting and start going smaller as you are more comfortable

eventually you would like to stay at 2-4inchs

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I agree with Bud. One of the best training targets you can get is a white paper plate. Its simply, if you can put your shots into that at ranges from contact distance to say 15 yards your doing ok. Take it to 25 yards and keep your shots inside the paper plate then your doing good. Use a pie plate out to 15 yards and beyond and your doing great. Man I love my paper plates.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Cheep targets too

Lead Moderator
    then ya can move down to post it stickies.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    then ya can move down to post it stickies.
    DAMN! Sticky's? What size?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    To start with till you get a lot of practice and can pick up your speed and accuracy 8inch plate will get it done .. Im not saying you should strive for just that but start there with fast shooting and start going smaller as you are more comfortable

eventually you would like to stay at 2-4inchs
    About 2/3 of my practice is something like that--How fast can I hit reasonably close to COM, going for speed rather than bullseye-accuracy. I use 11x17 paper so I can see where my misses are, and if I can get 8 rounds of double-taps into about 8 inches, I need to speed up a bit About 1/3 is slow-fire bullseye-style shooting, concentrating on trigger pull and a surprise break. The fast shooting is the more important, but bullseye is fun, and I was curious about what's about average for this kind of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Cheap targets too
    You can also make IDPA targets from paper grocery bags with nothing more than a scissors. Smaller paper bags make great reduced targets as well. Cheap practice.

I shoot a Glock 26 and I pay the 'kitty' a buck a miss (outside the A zone) to make sure that practice has consequences, just like life. Most days I put in 2-3 bucks per hundred shots drawn from concealment. It took me about 5,000 rounds and two training classes to really feel comfortable and confident.

'Decent' 5 string, slow fire at ten yds when I was starting out, was 4-6" groups . With practice 2-3" (or better) is easily achievable.

Good Luck !!!

-PB
    Last edited by PaulBk; August 5th, 2006 at 12:40 AM.
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Fear No Evil.

I agree with Bud White. An eight inch paper plate is the aproxtimate size of an average chest or vital area.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBk
    You can also make IDPA targets from paper grocery bags with nothing more than a scissors.
    -PB

Wait you mean you can still get paper bags at places? all we get are plastic

Quote Originally Posted by sevesteen
    What would be a decent but not outstanding slow-fire 5 shot group size for an automatic with a 3" barrell (about 4" sight radius) at 10 yards?
    In my opinion, street shooting won't likely be about shooting much farther than 10yds. (Not unless you want to stay out of jail, that is.) That said, for me anything smaller than the span of my outstretched hand (fingers) seems sufficient @ 10yds. Occasional flier, perhaps, but everything else with fairly rapid shooting within a ~7-8" diameter circle. I'm a good enough shooter to be able to do that with rapid follow-ups and generally even with double-taps, minus the occasional flier. I simply cannot accept the possibility of hitting the proverbial 3yr old child across the street simply because I wasn't accurate enough. Anyway, the "hand span" guideline works for me.

Accuracy of a recent range session, @ 25yds and 10yds. Link to photos are at bottom of that page.

Now, there are combat handguns and there are combat handguns. I'm assuming you mean: whatever you're competent with. Me, I've shot everything from a KelTec P3AT .380ACP and .38 revolver to a .50 cal, both semi-autos and revolvers. On many, I simply couldn't quickly get the accuracy to a point where I'd find it acceptable to carry that gun. With practice, though, I was able to get a SW 442 .38 snubbie to ~4" groups reasonably reliably @ 10yds, but that's with very slow, Weaver-stance shooting, whereas that same snubbie would spray rounds all over if shot more quickly. By comparison, I've got a Browning BDM 9mm full-size and a CZ P01 9mm compact that both can hit a grape if well-aimed and clear 2" holes in the paper @ 10yds. The point is: a lot can depend on the gun, with the rest being your competency with it.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 5th, 2006 at 11:09 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by sevesteen
    What would be a decent but not outstanding slow-fire 5 shot group size for an automatic with a 3" barrell (about 4" sight radius) at 10 yards?
    ~3 inches.

VIP Member
    See if your range holds steel plate compititions. They use 8 inch plates and you'll get practice at your speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links