Does homeowners insurance cover criminal/civil liability for a self-defense shooting?

This is a discussion on Does homeowners insurance cover criminal/civil liability for a self-defense shooting? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a new CCL holder and am just a little hesitant about carrying because of the legal expenses I would rack up if I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Does homeowners insurance cover criminal/civil liability for a self-defense shooting?

Does homeowners insurance cover criminal/civil liability for a self-defense shooting?

I am a new CCL holder and am just a little hesitant about carrying because of the legal expenses I would rack up if I had to shoot someone. Does my homeowners insurance cover any criminal or civil liability if I am involved in a shooting? Is the NRA insurance policy a good idea or is it just a duplication of homeowners insurance?

Also, how does one go about finding a 2nd amendment friendly attorney? I live in the Atlanta area.

Thanks so much!!

2. Remove Ads

Depends on your state, and your carrier. Contact your insurance agent and ask...

Check your local gun shops or your CCW class instructor for an attorney...good luck

Im not 100% sure of the NRA policy, but Its seems on the Up and Up
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member
    Typically a homeowners policy will not cover you if you shoot someone in self defense as it is a willful act. It would only cover you if you accidentally shot someone while cleaning etc... A call to your insurance agent would be the best, but I have heard there are some companies that may drop you if they know you have firearms in the house.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

What should I ask my agent? I have heard that some companies will drop you if they know you own guns. Is there any special verbage that I could use with the agent without actually telling him I carry a weapon? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by kdangler View Post
    I am a new CCL holder and am just a little hesitant about carrying because of the legal expenses I would rack up if I had to shoot someone. Does my homeowners insurance cover any criminal or civil liability if I am involved in a shooting? Is the NRA insurance policy a good idea or is it just a duplication of homeowners insurance?

Also, how does one go about finding a 2nd amendment friendly attorney? I live in the Atlanta area.

Thanks so much!!
    I've not seen a homeowner's insurance policy that would cover your legal expenses if you shot someone intentionally. If that does happen, you don't want a 2nd amendment friendly attorney, you want the best criminal defense attorney that you can afford. A guy who graduated at the bottom of his law class and couldn't argue his way out of a paper sack may be "2nd amendment friendly".

For a top criminal attorney in Atlanta, read the Journal-Constitution. Look for the lawyers that are always getting their clients off on "technicalities" and stuff. That's the person you want, a top notch attorney who knows how to make the law work to your advantage.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member
    You could just ask if acts of self-defense are covered by your home owners policy, you don't need to say what you are using to defense yourself. You could get sued just as easy from a BG if you us a bat against him.

What should I ask my agent? I have heard that some companies will drop you if they know you own guns. Is there any special verbage that I could use with the agent without actually telling him I carry a weapon? Thanks!!
    Dont try to be tricky, just ask, this is the time to be honest. If you use " In Self Defense " The agent may say sure, but underwriting may have a different Idea, and the adjuster may decline any claim you make. Be honest and up front. IE " what happens if someone breaks into my home, and I shoot them, Am I covered?" You want to make sure you have coverage.

As far as off premises coverage, they may offer an Umbrella policy for extended liability. Check into that as well.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I am a new CCL holder and am just a little hesitant about carrying because of the legal expenses I would rack up if I had to shoot someone.

Thanks so much!!
    What's worth more to you? Your life or your "expenses" in the event you save your own life? If it's a justifiable shooting, your headaches will be large, but your liability and exposure to potential lawsuits will not be. Regardless, I've seen the expense numbers thrown around for a justified shooting, and they top $25K. Still, you'd still be alive, but it gives one pause for thought with regards to pulling. Last resort.
    I'll bet any mom & pop gun shop in your area can suggest a good attorney. Cops also seem to be a good resource for personal defense legal help. My first question for an attorney would be "let me see your carry permit?" There's also databases from any of the pro-2A organizations, but I would prefer a local reference myself.

What a great question! I'm going to have to ask my wife that question in our case. She works for the insurance company that we have. I'm sure the answer is no for us but my big screen is probably covered if I were to rip a round through it. I would imagine that any material damage to the house and contents therein that incurs from the incident might be covered under a "vandalism" clause but I would bet that they are absolved of anything done in a shooting by the owner causing bodily harm. Unless, of course, the insurance company has that "special" form you fill out to include shooting someone and being covered under liability. Usually, anything can be done for the right amount of money.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Don't call your agent, call one you don't do business with.

Forum member Limatunes recently had a thread on self defence policies, like the one the NRA sells.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member
    I can tell you that if you have Nationwide, they won't cover you.

The exclusion reads as such: "caused intentionally by or at the direction of an insured, including willful acts the result of which the insured knows or ought to know will follow from the insured's conduct.

But Nationwide is gun friendly, it is stated that if you declare guns they will be covered by the policy including accessories, except for wear and tear etc...

I have no idea what that exclusion means but I do have Nationwide. NRA's plan is $165 a year. An umbrella policy from my insurance company (if they offered it) would probably be that much. I'm just not sure what kind of coverage you get with the NRA plan.

I was told once to take $30,000 and put it some place safe. That's my "pull the trigger" fund. While it may not pay all your legal fees, it will usually be enough to get a pretty good attorney to represent you. It will also be enough money to make you think twice about shooting at somebody who is stealing a rake from your storage shed.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I believe the standard ISO form has an exception for force used in protection of self or others---HOWEVER, your company may not use the ISO form verbatim. (as discussed--Nationwide does not) You really need to READ your policy. Of course Homeowners would never cover criminal actions against you, only civil.

Now, in KS, we have "Castle Doctrine" which is suppose to make one immune anyway. That is probably the best "insurance". Don't know if you have anything like that in your state, and if so, whether or not it covers criminal and civil. Remember though, even Castle would not save you from a stray bullet that missed the BG, and went through a window and killed/maimed a 7 year old girl 2 doors down. (AR-15 for urban home defense anyone? Might wanna think that one over)
    paullie likes this.

Yes, we have had the Castle and Stand Your Ground laws in Georgia since Gov. Perdue signed them into law in 2006.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links