Defending someone else while carrying

This is a discussion on Defending someone else while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes I won't stand by and watch some defenseless person be killed. Ain't gonna happen. Same here. If I KNOW who the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Defending someone else while carrying

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I won't stand by and watch some defenseless person be killed. Ain't gonna happen.
    Same here. If I KNOW who the real victim is I'm stepping in. We have the "alter ego" law in SC. If a CWP holder believes a third party is in danger of being killed or caused great bodily harm we can legally act on their behalf with deadly force.

Put yourself, better yet, put your child or spouse in that persons shoes. A law abiding CCWer watches as your child or spouse is being beaten to death, KNOWING they are the victim, but won't step in because they don't want to get sued.

If anyone else could stand there and let it happen and then live the rest of their life and sleep at night then more power to you. Not me. My state allows me to do it with deadly force, but even if it didn't, I would still do what i could to help someone in need.
    carverelli and sliponby like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

I think that with the criminal/civil protection now available in some areas, things are considerably better than they once were.

While I agree that some choose not to be able to protect themselves, for me, that would not excuse my letting them die if I could prevent it. Old habits die hard.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    The FIRST thing you need to know is if deadly force in defense of a third person is legal in your state. Some states it is it legal and some it is not.

Know this beyond a shadow of a doubt BEFORE you respond, not while you are responding or after you are responding.

Then, do the right thing. I understand that your version of "right" may not be the same as mine... but I will not stand idly by and watch someone else get beaten to a pulp and not do anything about it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

As the OP requested, the subject of duty to retreat.

I know our state law says that if the person you defend has met the requirements to use deadly force then you can intervene on their behalf. That means that they:

1. Are in imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm or sexual assault
    2. A person of ordinary firmness would believe they were in imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm or sexual assault.
    3. The person you are acting in behalf of was NOT the instigator
    4. The force you use was not more than necessary to stop the threat.

The duty to retreat is prior to the deadly assault beginning, once the deadly assault has begun the duty to retreat is no longer on the table since the threat is immediate and now.

This is how NC looks at it.

Now, as far as intervening, a shot of OC spray would go a long way toward stopping the threat and would show the intent of non deadly force was tried prior to escalating to deadly force. Just my few cents.

Problem is, the OP didn't ask "What would you do." Yes, it would be tough to sit around and watch something like that without doing anything about it for most of us anyways. I think the OP was trying to expose 2 conflicting rules here. 1. You have the right to defend if... and 2. You have the obligation to retreat. Looks like you could get in trouble with one and have it hard to live with yourself following the other. Still too many "If's" though.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Problem is, the OP didn't ask "What you you do."
    I don't believe I've ever heard ANYONE ask "What you you do"

WWMMD?

It's not my problem until it becomes my problem.

Most states have it written into law that you may defend another person with up to lethal force if they are at risk of GBI or death....HOWEVER...You better know all the details surrounding the incident - READ - Be there from the start, and know the players involved.

You walk into a situation that is already in progress, you do not know who is who, who started it, why it started, or anything other than what you think you see happening.

Very few situations are cut and dried when you walk into the middle of it. Even a group (3ish) of one ethnic people against a single of another, the single may be the initial aggressor getting their just due.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    "All that is needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." I always liked this quote.
    I like the statement as well, however individual "Evil Doers" rarely wear a badge saying they are evil doers.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Generally speaking, if they could use deadly force to defend themself, then you could use deadly force to defend them. Whether its a good idea is another thing.

This totally sums up my opinion on the matter. The bold portion is the real dilemma some will battle with. Unfortunately for me, my constitution wont allow me to turn my back on a fellow human who desperately needs help, so I'd end up trying to give aid if possible; but it would take a situation that I felt warranted my interference.
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; August 10th, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    What you can legally do will vary from state to state. Myself, I will only use my gun to protect myself or my family. Too many thing can have happened before you come upon a situation to know who is really the bad guy and who isn't. The only exception I would make to this is the case of a LEO in need of assistance.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    What you can legally do will vary from state to state. Myself, I will only use my gun to protect myself or my family. Too many thing can have happened before you come upon a situation to know who is really the bad guy and who isn't. The only exception I would make to this is the case of a LEO in need of assistance.
    That pretty much sums it up for me as well, though there will always be exceptions. For example, if I knew WITHOUT a DOUBT the person being harmed was an "innocent victim" and I could involve myself w/o endangering third party bystanders ( I might have young kids with me) I would probably intervene, but I'd try using only enough force to stop the attack. I'd also call 911 and be a good witness for potential LEO investigators. I'd also try to render any aid that may be needed until the police/EMS/fire Dept, etc arrive.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

In most states there is NO duty to retreat. The duty to retreat is a minority jurisdiction view just for the record
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Anytime one intervenes on the behalf of another, risks are taken--physically, mentally, and liability-wise. It becomes a matter of one's personal morals. Each must make a decision and live with the consequences.

As for those states that require one to retreat--ain't one step back far enough?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sorry men, I have to many mirrors in my house that I have to look in to just sit by an by a good witness and hope that it doesn't escalate into something that I will regret. Would rather beg for forgiveness than permission any day. Even if they elect not to get a CC, it does negate my duty as a human being to help. I will do my best to assess the situation as quickly as possible and use the appropirate force nessasary to help a fellow person. If not, then what are we saying about ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    I'm with ua on this with a --but they could have had a CCW. they chose not to and now for me to intervene will result in much legal stuff being all over me for years following the act of goodness. the system should not be allowed to punish a good deed. until it changes I'm gonna say that I'll be a good citizen with a cell phone--and i probably could not allow a murder to be committed if i could stop it.
    Well the above boils it down and I agree.

People will pay a cop to shoot someone for them but won't go armed themselves...
    People will put up crime watch signs in their subdivision but won't go armed themselves...
    People will go into unsavory areas/situations but won't go armed themselves...
    People will talk about truth, justice and the "All American Way" (where are you Superman) but won't go armed themselves...
    People want to exercise their rights but won't go armed themselves...

Well, life's tough...life's tougher if your stupid...or, are all of us who choose to go armed stupid...

Sorry but someplace along the line the theory of natural selection "must" take over. I am my brother's keeper in as much as working for laws, ways and means for law abiding citizens to have the tools and rights to use them within their grasp financially and legally. Unless they, the "people", are paying me and I accept the assignment...get your OWN gun and GO ARMED.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Everyone who passes basic screening has the right to carry a firearm, if they choose not to that's their call.

I think it's hard enough to make the call when it's just yourself and an attacker, let alone the confusion of a situation you're unfamiliar with around people you do not know.

Some situations are obvious, others not so much... without reading this whole thread I'd have to say I'll make a good witness but I'm not going to jail and miss my kids growing up because I made the wrong call on a situation that didn't involve me.

Might be selfish, but I'll be alive and with my family.

That said, if it was 100% without a doubt a situation where there was a clear bad guy and a clear good guy and it was a life or death situation, I think I would have to do something after calling 911 (if there's time).

We can sit here and say how great we'll act/react all day long, real life is much different. Truth is, I'd probably be hiding in a corner crying like a baby for all I know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links