Defending someone else while carrying

This is a discussion on Defending someone else while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Theoretically, if you see someone who a reasonable person would believe is being threatened to the point of death or grave bodily injury I understand ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Defending someone else while carrying

Defending someone else while carrying

Theoretically, if you see someone who a reasonable person would believe is being threatened to the point of death or grave bodily injury I understand you have the right to defend them. But doesn't that go against the law saying you have a legal obligation to retreat? Or does that go out the window if the victim is being held against their will and doesn't have the option to retreat? (Presumably in non stand your ground states)

I tried to word this as specifically as possible to make the other questions not take over the thread.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I carry to defend me and those close to me. A reasonable person had better know who is the victim and who is the BG, and all the facts surrounding the event before jumping into action and shooting someone. It could come back to bite you in the arse in a big way and ruin your life. To each his own, but I'll call 911, try to be a good witness, and let the LEO's do their job.
    Chad Rogers and jem102 like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this answer from the Inspector but:

If the person being attacked could justify deadly force then, you can act on their behalf and use deadly force.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Depends on your state law. I have the right to protect others while also standing my ground. Other states may have their law worded different.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Generally speaking, if they could use deadly force to defend themself, then you could use deadly force to defend them. Whether its a good idea is another thing.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

"All that is needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." I always liked this quote.
    Elk Hunter, Hoganbeg and protek like this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    If a perp is attacking you or your love ones, sure. Coming up on a situation with two strangers, one of whom appears to be an attacker, could be an undercover LEO or something. You don't know the situation. So no on defending strangers, be a good witness call 911. Yes to defending loved ones, actually shooting 'sooner' than defending yourself. You can back away. A loved one might not be able to.

$.02
    jem102 and RugerMike like this.

VIP Member
    I tried getting wis. law definitions from the SP, but to no avail.

Here is what I found for Wis.

Wisconsin self defense laws - Milwaukee Wisconsin Gun Rights | Examiner.com

Good luck with your reading. Michigan law is pretty cut and dry, thank God.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Wow, my brother-in-law (with a shiny new carry permit) and I were just talking about this coming home from the range today. If I'm not mistaken, Iowa only allows you to use deadly force to protect yourself, and not to protect others unless deadly force has already been used. In other words, if you see someone being beaten up (even one of your family members), non-violent intervention is your only option. But if the aggressor pulls a gun and shoots the other person, then you are justified in using deadly force because its obvious the aggressor has the intent and means to do harm. Put another way, the threat of serious bodily injury must be against you before you can legally draw your weapon. At least, that's what I was taught.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

While there are no guarantees, you stand a much better chance of make a correct choice if you see an incident from the beginning, rather than come up on it in the middle.

Generally, if you are capable of defending someone who can't and they are in danger of GBI or death, it is looked at as through the victim's eyes, therfore ruling out the need to retreat. Your laws may vary.

BUT!!

As a default, I am defending me and mine and that's it. Other than that, I will try and retreat as best that I can with "mine" being with me. Call 911 ASAP and be a good witness. There are too many variables to say that I would always do this but that is my default. And there are about a million, "But, what if..." situations out there but I figure that if I stick to my default, chances are I won't have to worry about whether or not I get in trouble for defending. There will be no doubt in my mind. Too many "If's" in there for me to blanket a personal rule otherwise.
    jfnixon likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I carry to defend me and those close to me. A reasonable person had better know who is the victim and who is the BG, and all the facts surrounding the event before jumping into action and shooting someone. It could come back to bite you in the arse in a big way and ruin your life. To each his own, but I'll call 911, try to be a good witness, and let the LEO's do their job.
    +1+

To stand by, being a good witness..doing nothing, when I could have prevented an innocent person from being harmed would be difficult, if not impossible, for me to live with. Whatever happens, when it happens, will happen quickly. Thinking about it won't be an option. You will automatically do whatever it is that you end up doing. I can't see myself pulling up short and saying "Now wait a minute. You need to sit down and think this thing through."
    HotGuns likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I won't stand by and watch some defenseless person be killed. Ain't gonna happen.
    sixsccw and Stubborn like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I won't stand by and watch some defenseless person be killed. Ain't gonna happen.
    I'm with ua on this with a --but they could have had a CCW. they chose not to and now for me to intervene will result in much legal stuff being all over me for years following the act of goodness. the system should not be allowed to punish a good deed. until it changes I'm gonna say that I'll be a good citizen with a cell phone--and i probably could not allow a murder to be committed if i could stop it.
    jem102 likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links