Do you carry ALL the time?

This is a discussion on Do you carry ALL the time? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not in the shower, not in bed asleep. most of the rest of the time, yes....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Do you carry ALL the time?

Not in the shower, not in bed asleep. most of the rest of the time, yes.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

There is no "safe haven" when bad things can't happen. Both times I've been held up have been in very public areas in broad daylight. Once outside a 7-11 (I'd parked on the side and the kid was waiting when I returned), and once in a parking lot at the grocery (I had the pleasure of pointing out that dirt bag in court-- he served 7 years for multiple counts, and I recently received the letter notifying me of his imminent release. I refrained from going to meet him his first day out--I still harbor a grudge for having a gun stuck in my face). The second incident was what made me get my permit. I carry EVERYWHERE except places I can be arrested, and in Florida, that's not too many places. Next dirt bag loses.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    By the way, thieves & badguys know about towns like yours & are likely planning to visit any day now! Be safe!
    You know this, or you think this may be true? Also, the guy above who posted that BGs can drive to your neighborhood may be technically correct, but not statistically valid. Statistically, criminals and violent assailants ply their trade near where they live. Violent assailants don't NORMALLY seek out upscale neighborhoods. They look and act out-of-place, and they aren't interested in trying to fence a Mercedes-Benz SL500, jewelry, or a Rolex.

Let me be the odd one out - as usual. I personally don't carry everywhere. I travel for work, and simply cannot take a firearm everywhere I go. A gun is not like a spare tire, seatbelt, or fire extinguisher, so let's leave those hackneyed analogies out of it. A spare tire cannot you get you charged with a felony for improper use. Depending on your demographics, you're far more likely to need a defibrillator at home than a gun. Yet most posters here will simply hope to get to a hospital on time if they need one. That's like hoping a cop with a gun shows up when you need one.

Caveats: Violent assaults can happen anywhere. I support concealed carry. Crimes can and do happen regularly, and they can happen anywhere, so save your breath on that score.

You will note that many people here (like me) may not be able to carry at work, so their claims they carry "all the time" are rather inaccurate because they use the words "except when...."

I live in a state with some really silly concealed carry laws that force people to constantly fiddle about with their firearms in order to stay legal. There have been far more incidents of people in my state being killed or injured by improper use of a firearm than needing one for legal self-defense.

One glaring exception happened this month when two dirtbags forced their way into a guy's home during his well-known, high-stakes Monday-night poker game, and tried to rob the players at gunpoint. One assailant was shot with the homeowner's pistol and died on the front lawn, and the other is nursing his gunshot wounds in jail. Good use of a firearm if you ask me.

Again, it's up to you. Please note that posters here will obviously be biased toward full-time carry. I am not, and I am OK with my decision. I don't want to be the guy who has a ccw, spare magazines, a BUG, and a rifle behind the seat of the car/truck. I do carry when I travel in states that recognize my permit, and I carry when I am out kayaking, riding my motorcycle, or even just shopping with my wife. I leave it at home when going to states and countries that don't recognize my permit, and usually don't bother with it if I am going to the mailbox, or out in our private backyard.

I am sure this post will illicit the predictable anecdotal stories and crime cliche's, but that's my risk management decision at this point in my life.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    I currently have pants on, I have holstered pistol. If no pants then pistol with in reach or in safe.
    Simple rule of thumb, if I have pants on I have my pistol.
    This is my pistol! These are my pants...

I know what you mean. I can't wait to get my pants on in the morning!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I am always carrying unless I'm sleeping, showering, consuming alchohol or at a place that bans concealed weapons.

I carry an LCP or an LC9 in my right front pocket. I have only been carrying for almost 2 years but I have just accepted the fact that I give up my right pocket at all times for my pistol. You learn to live with and around your gun. I feel naked without it. I always carry where and when I can and no one is the wiser.

I live in Omaha, a good Midwestern city with a metro area population of about 1 million. Most violent crime in the city is located in two areas. I try to avoid those areas as best as possible, not wanting to look for trouble. But sometimes trouble comes to find you...

And that is why I choose to basically give up a right pocket and be able to better defend myself.

Not much of a sacrifice if you ask me.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You know this, or you think this may be true? Also, the guy above who posted that BG can drive to your neighborhood may be technically correct, but not statistically valid. Statistically, criminals and violent assailants ply their trade near where they live. Violent assailants don't NORMALLY seek out upscale neighborhoods. They look and act out-of-place, and they aren't interested in trying to fence a Mercedes-Benz SL500, jewelry, or a Rolex.
    Actually, I know that this is true for some of them.

In another life I had the unfortunate occasion to sit with some of the scumbags who reside under the table of society. I'd been asked on several occasions, because I had a car, to give them a lift to a location 20~60 miles away with promises of easy money...yeah right. The handfuls who I met knew they were more likely to find easier prey in the people who felt that they were far too insulated from the dangers of the 'city' because of where they lived. Sure, they could find easy prey in their own neighborhoods, but the dream of better scores always kept them scheming for something bigger.

They'd likely have no problem fencing any jewelry, watches, or electronics they could carry out of a place, & they'd just use the Mercedes as a ride to their craphole neighborhood where they'd abandon it.

It's experiences such as these that have led me to my current state of mind. I don't live in fear, because there is too much in life that begs to be enjoyed. I live knowing that any minor inconvenience attributed to always carrying can be easily overlooked knowing the many possibilities of life. The possibilities are both good & bad, & I just try expect one & prepare for the other.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Yep carry mine everyday. the only times I don't carry is to church,work, and any were off limits.

You know this, or you think this may be true? Also, the guy above who posted that BGs can drive to your neighborhood may be technically correct, but not statistically valid. Statistically, criminals and violent assailants ply their trade near where they live. Violent assailants don't NORMALLY seek out upscale neighborhoods. They look and act out-of-place, and they aren't interested in trying to fence a Mercedes-Benz SL500, jewelry, or a Rolex.
    I used to think this way as well, but it's not necessarily true. I've been in two very serious encounters, one was a carjacking and kidnapping in a wealthy area of town where I ended up removing a piece of someone's face with their firearm and the second was an attempted break in and attack when confronted at 3am last year. I walked out for a cigarette to someone trying to break into my home. Now, I live in a wealthier area and my Jaguar and Mercedes were both outside. I live on the corner about 150 yards from Ocean Dr and the water. My house was completely lit up all around while many other homes were dark and maybe even appeared that no one was home. You could easily see interior lights were on, and not just our night lighting.

For the past couple years I've been working more and more in firearms related industries. I've done a bit of close protection work and consulting. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the result of thinking that we're safe in our "area". It's utterly not true. About a month ago, I was sitting outside and I saw a few police cars pull up at my neighbor's (3 homes down) nearly $1,000,000 home. They had gotten home after running out for a couple hours to a burglarized home. The alarm was not set.

About 6 months ago, my brother-in-law came home from dinner (another wealthy area - about a $600,000 home - which is a lot in South Texas) and saw a van in the driveway. He called the police and went into his house. An iPad, two Mac laptops, a 50" flat screen, two Rolex's (not your basic submariner either, one was rose gold with a diamond bezel and diamond numbers) and a Patek Phillipe watch (custom made as well) were gone along with some other items. In the van, which was broken down, was a painting that was done by a student of Renoir, which is extremely expensive. Also in the van was a cell phone that belonged to one of the burglars and an airsoft handgun.

I could go on and on about experiences I've personally seen or experienced, not just read somewhere.

You can tell everyone that'll listen that you only carry part time, and since that's your choice, that's fine. I'm glad to see someone carrying at all, even if it was only once a month. Unfortunately, you've also posted things that are wrong. I personally don't care what one believes for themselves, but when they come to an open forum about self defense and basically tell people that bad guys don't come out of their areas that often, you are doing a disservice to this forum and the new guys trying to learn about self defense. Someone may be looking to hear they're safe and home, when that's basically plain wrong, and after ten posts saying they're not, the one that says they are is the one they'll run with since it's what they wanted to hear.

So, "statistically" you are actually most likely to find yourself in a violent confrontation closest to home, even in wealthy areas, since that's where most of your time is spent. This is not some sort of opinion, it's a fact that cannot be viewed any differently.

Have all the opinions you want, but stating your views as a reality will do nothing but put others at risk. I'm not trying to call anyone out, but opinions are opinions and fact is fact and an opinion is not a substitute for fact.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Unfortunately, you've also posted things that are wrong. I personally don't care what one believes for themselves, but when they come to an open forum about self defense and basically tell people that bad guys don't come out of their areas that often, you are doing a disservice to this forum and the new guys trying to learn about self defense. Someone may be looking to hear they're safe and home, when that's basically plain wrong,
    Apparently you still don't read my caveats, and I stand by by statement that "bad guys" looking to violently assault someone they don't know (for whatever purpose) don't make it a habit to go to "nice" areas". I don't for a minute assume I am "safe". I know better.

Anecdotes notwithstanding.....

Apparently you still don't read my caveats, and I stand by by statement that "bad guys" looking to violently assault someone they don't know (for whatever purpose) don't make it a habit to go to "nice" areas". I don't for a minute assume I am "safe". I know better.

Anecdotes notwithstanding.....
    No, I did read it and understand it, but it's still not a correct view. They do travel outside their areas quite often. They also come to wealthy areas to commit crimes, whether theft or violent. I see it quite often. I work with a number of the local law enforcement here and my Dad was a DA in Los Angeles where he saw it on a daily basis. So, whether it's mod size town South Texas or Los Angeles, bad guys come to wealthier areas to commit crimes. I don't know too many people that have had their Mercedes or any average or better car stolen in the 'hood, it usually from an area they frequent, which is quite often a decent area.

What personal experience are you basing this opinion on? Are you in the security/protection industry? Are you law enforcement or an attorney or even a statistician? I'm really trying to understand what brought you to the conclusion that they don't come to wealthy areas that often. I almost killed a guy last year when he decided to come after me with a crowbar since I interrupted his and his partners attempt to break into my home.

"Statistically" it says 1 out of 4 of us will be the victim of a violent crime. It does not say 1 out of 4 of us that travel to the areas where the bad people live.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    I come from a small town (Mayberry like) where violence really isn't ever seen, in fact in my lifetime I can't recall a single incident of random violence. At any rate, do you carry EVERY chance you can or just when going into larger cities or where the risk is slightly higher?

By the way, thank you to everyone answering my noobie questions...WI just getting CCW means I need to pick the brains of all of youwith more experience carrying.
    I have as a minimum, two handguns on my person; every waking moment of every day.
    zonker1986 likes this.

I don't carry all of the time. Even though the office building I work in is not properly posted and it's not against company policy, I don't carry at work. The reasons are quite simple for me. I'm petite and concealing during warm seasons really isn't that easy. The second reason is I don't want to alarm my colleagues. It's not in the company policy that I can carry at work, and it's not in the policy that I CAN'T. I want it to stay that way in case I do feel the need to one day. There are times when I am required to travel out of state and those are the days that I want to be able to carry 100% of the time.

However, I do keep my EDC locked in my vehicle with a holster handy so I can arm myself before my next destination. There are some days when it's just not feasible to do that though. This is why I always carry other options with me. I have my pepper spray in a convenient place in my purse and my cell phone. The only thing I feel like I am lacking is self defense training and a quick pocket knife. I also don't walk out of the building alone, especially if it's dark outside.

I carry at least two 9mm's every day, 24/7. One in the pocket, the other either IWB or in a fanny pack which is usually at the gym. I have a Glock or XD on the toilet seat while I shower, and at least one service caliber weapon on my night stand while I sleep. Too many encounters of the worst kind to list here, but I carry everywhere I can legally do so. Its a lifestyle change to be sure, but one I have become comfortable. I avoid places that I cannot legally carry like the plague. Being unarmed is like walking out into the day not wearing clothes.....not cool.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I carry everywhere I legally can

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

You can conceal that gun with the right holster wardobe and a good belt. Research and try those things first.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links