Do you carry ALL the time?

This is a discussion on Do you carry ALL the time? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I come from a small town (Mayberry like) where violence really isn't ever seen, in fact in my lifetime I can't recall a single incident ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Do you carry ALL the time?

I come from a small town (Mayberry like) where violence really isn't ever seen, in fact in my lifetime I can't recall a single incident of random violence. At any rate, do you carry EVERY chance you can or just when going into larger cities or where the risk is slightly higher?

By the way, thank you to everyone answering my noobie questions...WI just getting CCW means I need to pick the brains of all of youwith more experience carrying.

I live in that sort of town. I leave the house, I'm wearing a strap.
    azchevy and Bark'n like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    all the time ( something) or not at all

some day when you think you have it, your reflexes will betray you and you will truely need it--

but you didn't think you would need it that time and....
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

If you could predict when and where you might be a victim of an act of violence, a gun and a permit for it wouldn't be necessary. It would be simple to just avoid those places at those particular times. But today, we live in an increasingly violent and uncertain society. I carry all the time.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

If we could predict when we would need it wouldn't we just not go there instead?

Criminals do not respect your home. Even Mayberry had a sheriff. Carry anytime you are anywhere that could be intruded upon.

Any time you are awake and aware you should be able to control your destiny.

Senior Moderator
    If you saw what Cops see in little towns, you wouldn't leave the house without your gun.

Trust me.
    NoNameMan, Bark'n and wmhawth like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

i live in a town of 3500, everybody knows everybody, but if i ain't in bed or the shower, i'm armed, i got my permit so i can carry and you never know when you might need it. do you have dogs in your town? they can tear ya a new one just as a "bad guy" can.

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    i live in a town of 3500, everybody knows everybody, but if i ain't in bed or the shower, i'm armed, i got my permit so i can carry and you never know when you might need it. do you have dogs in your town? they can tear ya a new one just as a "bad guy" can.
    Good point! I guess I never thought of that before

A small percentage of criminals does not insure a small percentage of dings.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yep, I "don't leave home without it."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    If you could predict when and where you might be a victim of an act of violence, a gun and a permit for it wouldn't be necessary. It would be simple to just avoid those places at those particular times. But today, we live in an increasingly violent and uncertain society. I carry all the time.
    Very well said and so true.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Yes, always carry, never tell

Every minute of the day from the moment I get up until the moment I go to bed. The last time I woke up in the middle of the night and almost forgot to take my handgun, it ended up most likely saving my life. I'm never without a firearm.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

All around the house, every second I'm in public and it is legal to do so. If I get made and asked to leave, I do and don't return so I can stay armed. If I'm not carrying around the house it's in arms reach and I'm asleep or in the shower. My girlfriend of 4 years that I live with is the only person that knows me that knows I carry, and only a handful of close friends know I own a firearm. I maintain vigilance and alertness perpetually (known as "code yellow" state of mind on a scale of white, yellow, orange, red, black); I don't know when trouble will strike or where it will strike, but statistically I am five times more likely to need a gun to stop a home invasion than a fire extinguisher to stop a fire in the home, and when I have only precious seconds, first responders are at least minutes away. The average non-police involved gunfight lasts 7 seconds or less and takes place in the dark so I always carry a flashlight as well even in the daytime there are dark places. It only takes one unannounced shot from one bad guy to change or end a life forever, vigilance really is the price of freedom.

Take a look in the books section here, there are many materials out there that can provide basic knowledge of concealed carry (Massad Ayoob's Concealed Carry is a good start as is a book by Chris Bird), then look into an NRA Pistol or Utah/FL carry classes (which is a good idea to get those permits make you legal in more states than the WI permit will anyways, making travel more comforting) to develop a specific understanding of carry and use of force issues, then supplement your range practice with IDPA ISPC and any other competition shooting you can find in your area, to enhance the perishable skills that you'll be called upon to use under stress, should the worst case scenarios ever come to bear. Also take the time to become an expert on the laws where you carry, or will be traveling to and through; it's your responsibility to know them, and follow them.

I used to live in NE WI and plan to carry when I return to visit, it'll be nice because while I OC'ed, I often found myself needing to be selective, and it was the choice of carry or not; with CC it's the choice of OC or CC, but I'm effectively always carrying here in IN (I don't spend much time in jail or court or secured airports). I've got a few holsters so I can use one to match about any situation I find myself presented with. I get that a carry gun, holsters, training, permits, ammo all add up (quality comes at a price), so I'd recommend spreading it out between now and November.

Do you have a carry gun/guns selected? Looking at specific models? Travel out of state with any regularity?

Glock Certified Armorer

Anytime I am awake
    I suggest that if you can find in your inner self the will to inflict violence on someone who is trying to victimize you, and can back up that iron will with all the force that you can muster, you will most likely be successful.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links