Smaller Gun

This is a discussion on Smaller Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hard to beat the Glock 26 if you want a 9mm. The Glock 26 is easy to conceal, doesn't require a break-in to initally work, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Smaller Gun

Hard to beat the Glock 26 if you want a 9mm.
    The Glock 26 is easy to conceal, doesn't require a break-in to initally work, is reliable, and is competitively priced.
    I carry Glock subcompacts in the "appendix" position (just to right of zipper) where they are easily concealed by a loose untucked shirt.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bobw View Post
    Hi everyone, I am fairly new to carrying all the time as I just had my restrictions removed from my ccw here in NY. I currently have a Glock 19 which in the summer is a little hard to conceal since I'm only 5'3" and 140 lbs. Thinking about
    getting a ruger LC9, for an easier to conceal carry gun. Just wondering if anyone has one and if they like them. Here in NY it is almost impossible to find a range to rent one in order to try it out.
    Dress around the gun. Try wearing an untucked shirt 1 size larger than you normally wear.Get a good pancake style leather holster and a good gun belt. A good gun belt isn't cheap but is worth every penny, I have one from ag custom gunleather and will be buying another to go with it.

My vote is for Kahr PM9 (15 ounces .9 thick)- small enough for your front or rear pocket which makes summer carry fun. The MK9 is even smoother - but heavy at 22 ozs I've heard the Ruger 9mm is good but never tried one.

one my of shooting pals just picked up a PM9 I will shoot it and provide a report next week

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    I did not know that Diamond Back was making a 9. Is there anyone with feedback on them? Are they reliable enough to carry?

from what I understand they would be close in platform to a Glock or XD. Right?
    I have the DB9 - it's sooo easy to carry but you must shoot from a very firm grip and arm to avoid feeding issues. They do not like Speer Gold Dots and are not recommended for any brand of +P use during practice. They do field strip like a Glock but after that, the trigger mechanism is completely different.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Having tried the Kahr, Kel-Tec, and LC9, I went with the Ruger:

The Kahr is made by the Sun Myung Moon Moonie people, and it's impossible for me to give those freaks any of my hard-earned money. The Kel-Tec is a good gun, but the trigger bite is fierce. The LC9 is comfortable, easy to carry, and rock-solid reliable. The trigger is excellent once you remove the magazine disconnect safety.

Make no mistake - the Kahr does shoot well; it's accurate and reliable, and very compact. But the Ruger is American and totally solid - built like a tank (like all Ruger firearms). As I've mentioned before, at the range, I'm tending to shoot the LC9 even more than my SR9c because it's so much fun. Get a good carry system, some extra mags, good ammo, and have at it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Kahr CW 9 and CM9. 1/10" thinner slide than the Glocks and makes all the difference in the world for concealment. Also very light and accurate little single stacks specifically designed for concealed carry. Highly recommend.....the guns Gaston Glock should be making.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I love my LC9 (even with the magazine disconnect)! I have had zero issues with it and it is quite accurate. Since I have small hands I actually did not use the extended floorplate on the magazine, and it conceals really well.

I would go for a Glock 26 since youre coming from a 19 already. Get the mag extender and youre good to go

Quote Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
    I would go for a Glock 26 since youre coming from a 19 already. Get the mag extender and youre good to go
    If you get A mag ext it will be virtually the same size as your G19.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Kahr CW 9 and CM9. 1/10" thinner slide than the Glocks and makes all the difference in the world for concealment. Also very light and accurate little single stacks specifically designed for concealed carry. Highly recommend.....the guns Gaston Glock should be making.
    the guns gaston should be making are being made by Steyr and Caracal

on the left is a caracal f, on the right a Steyr s9 a1
    Attached Images
    Last edited by apvbguy; August 14th, 2011 at 11:02 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobw View Post
    Hi everyone, I am fairly new to carrying all the time as I just had my restrictions removed from my ccw here in NY. I currently have a Glock 19 which in the summer is a little hard to conceal since I'm only 5'3" and 140 lbs. Thinking about
    getting a ruger LC9, for an easier to conceal carry gun. Just wondering if anyone has one and if they like them. Here in NY it is almost impossible to find a range to rent one in order to try it out.
    I too find the Glock 19 to big to conceal in the summer. I also own a glock 26 which is easier to conceal, and my favorite carry piece, but still difficult in the summer. I have an LCP which means I never leave the house unarmed, but I'm also looking for a small 9 to carry.

I owned an LC9 for a month. I sold it. It just didn't work for me and wasn't enough easier than the 26 to conceal to make it worth putting up with the trigger and poor sights.

I've shot a PM9 and it was "OK", but I wasn't fond of the trigger. I'm going to try the Kahr CM9 which Gun test says has a much better trigger than the PM9 (I don't know why it would, Gun test said they didn't either, but that it definitely does), and as a bonus about $200.00 less price tag. If I like the CM9, that will be my next summer carry gun.

I still won't sell the LCP, it's the gun that means I'm never unarmed where it's legal, I shoot it well enough at likely ranges (1 to 7 yards), and a spare magazine can be carried with no problem. Some female family members have and carry the LCP about everywhere.

Fitch

PS: I think Gaston Glock should come out with a single stack Glock the size of the CW9. If he did, I'd give them a year to get the bugs out and then buy one. f
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by afojc View Post
    Saw the new Diamond Back DB 9 and the DB 380, both small and both very concealable, you can get the wallet holster for them as well.
    My brother is a machinist for Diamondback. They gave all their employees, that could legally purchase a handgun, a 380 and will give them a 9 once the production is ramped up. He does not go to the range that much so he gave me the 380 to shoot. I put 400 rounds thru it and was not impressed. I had a combination of 38 feed or eject failures. I used ammo from their recommended list. I know some weapons need to be broken in, but it never performed up to the company hype. The fit and finish is very good, overall you can do better for a little more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I think Gaston Glock should come out with a single stack Glock the size of the CW9. If he did, I'd give them a year to get the bugs out and then buy one. f

No need to wait for Glock to build it, when Walther already does:

The Walther PPS is a excellent small carry gun.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I've shot a PM9 and it was "OK", but I wasn't fond of the trigger. I'm going to try the Kahr CM9 which Gun test says has a much better trigger than the PM9 (I don't know why it would, Gun test said they didn't either, but that it definitely does), and as a bonus about $200.00 less price tag.
    That's complete BS. Some of the higher end Kahr guns (which a CM isn't...budget models) had the Elite trigger group in the past. But, Kahr has been using the Elite trigger in all of their pistols for many years now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links