On any 'average' day, what are you carrying? Gun, knife, flashlight?

This is a discussion on On any 'average' day, what are you carrying? Gun, knife, flashlight? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I suppose I'm a walking toolbox since most of the time I'm carrying: 1. Gun (Colt Mustang) - defensive tool 2. Knife (folding Gerber w/ ...

View Poll Results: What are you carrying on an 'average' day'?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gun

27 12.39%
  • Gun & knife

80 36.70%
  • Gun & flashlight

5 2.29%
  • Gun. knife & flashlight

81 37.16%
  • Knife

12 5.50%
  • Knife & flashlight

13 5.96%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: On any 'average' day, what are you carrying? Gun, knife, flashlight?

I suppose I'm a walking toolbox since most of the time I'm carrying:
    1. Gun (Colt Mustang) - defensive tool
    2. Knife (folding Gerber w/ 3.5" blade & pocket clip) - utility use, eating, carving, manicuring, skinning game
    3. Flashlight (small, pocket size, high-intensity single LED) - hate groping around in the dark and falling over stuff
    4. Lighter (Zippo) - don't smoke, but never comfortable without being able call upon the fire-god for cooking or warmth
    5. All Purpose Tool (Gerber in belt-carry case) - more screwdrivers, pliers, etc. than a Swiss Army knife and much stronger
    6. Cell Phone (old Motorola) - only for emergency communications (occasionally comes close to being used as a target)

2. Remove Ads

this is the type light i have carried for years and years, they're $7 at target and are just a hair bigger than a pen and for a pen light it really bright, came in real handy one time when the power went out at the wally marts , carry my gun and two blades, a cheapie (for misuse) and then the "good knife" for cutting my steak or minor surgery or to use for weapon retention, and yes i train for it and plus all the other crap but that wasn't the question :)

I said knife and gun,I figure the flash from my 165 ranger t's will suffice,should I need illumination.

If I'm "dressed" and outside my house and not going to work it's gun, gun, knife. No option for that.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Firearm, SOG Flash I, Quark 123 Tactical light, Sabre Red pepper spray (stream), & a mobile phone. The flashlight carry is variable based on my away-from-home plans.

I wonder, how many carry OC spray as part of their gear? It is an easy way to add another non-lethal measure to the arsenal.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Glock G26 sub compact 9mm loaded with Gold Dot 124grain +p ammo
    Inova X1 flashlight
    Leatherman folding knife @ work or a Buck/Tops CSAR-T on weekends
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I always have at least one knife on me and have carried one for years before ever carrying a gun. When I'm outside the house, I generally have two knives as well as a gun. One "utility" Harley knife on the right (strong) side and a Spyderco Delica on the left side for SD/retention purposes. And on occasion, it's two guns and two knives.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Gun and knife. We are almost never out at night but if we are I add the flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I said gun & knife, but want to qualify that the knife for utility purposes, not self defense.

It worries me a little, regarding how many folks I know who carry a knife and refer to it as part of their self-defense arsenal. If you don't train with it, you might as well assume that it will become part of your attacker's arsenal.
    That being said...I carry a Glock 23, and a flashlight of some type depending on dress, and an SD type locking back folder. Now, it is mainly used for utility as I have no formal training in knife fighting ot defense. I consider it an "improvised weapon". If something happens to my gun or a snatch is in progress, it is there to cut and or stab, the same as a fork or steak knife in my kitchen if its all I have. I wont go meet my maker because I am not trained and refuse to use my "utility" blade, as a defense weapon.

I also think a flashlight is not just a daytime tool. I have found multiple times when I needed a light durng day time hours. A work in my suits, I have taken to caryring a Maratac AAA Extreme. It is 95 lumens on high and 1.5 on low. It uses 1 AAA battery and is not even noticeable in my slacks pockets. Of duty, it is a Sureifre E1L, which I also can use as an impact weapon when needed.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

IMG_1707.JPG

Gun and knife. GREAT gun, ok knife. Knife is utility but still a decent blade.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Great replies gents! Keep 'em coming. The poll results are getting interesting.

Regarding some commenting about me including no option for multiple guns - well, errrrrr, does it REALLY matter, LOL? If you've got one gun, or twenty guns, you're armed with a gun.

Also, some interesting comments about levels of training, and which items could be considered defensive. Very valid points - i.e., a Navy Seal would likely be a lot more deadly at night armed only with knife and light (or without light or knife, for that matter), versus some untrained noob with a gun.

Thanks for voting!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Great replies gents! Keep 'em coming. The poll results are getting interesting.

Regarding some commenting about me including no option for multiple guns - well, errrrrr, does it REALLY matter, LOL? If you've got one gun, or twenty guns, you're armed with a gun.

Also, some interesting comments about levels of training, and which items could be considered defensive. Very valid points - i.e., a Navy Seal would likely be a lot more deadly at night armed only with knife and light (or without light or knife, for that matter), versus some untrained noob with a gun.

Thanks for voting!

-
    Honestly if all I had was a pen then that would become a "self defense weapon". I would not think about the fact I have never trained with a pen. I would just give the guy an extra hole to breath with I.e. Between the ribs or a trake, etc.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I carry a swiss army knife with me at all times...even at work. When I am not at work, I carry my swiss army knife and one pistole. Usually around town I carry a Ruger LCP or the Bersa Thunder .380. When I carry these small pistols I will always carry extra magazines as well. Once in a while I will use a full size 1911 or a Glock 23 or S&W M&P 40 w no extra magazines. When I travel however, I will use a full size pistole (1911, Glock, M&P, etc) with extra mags as well as an ankle compact pistol (LCP, Bobcat)...and my swiss army knife. I dont carry a flash light but I always have a high beam flash light in my truck.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Honestly if all I had was a pen then that would become a "self defense weapon"........
    Yeah, well, sorry I did not include pens, pencils and other objects in the poll! You have a valid point though.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Gun and knife in my free time. Nothing at work until school districts change their stance on armed teachers and knife at school until universities change their stance on (legally) armed students.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links