On any 'average' day, what are you carrying? Gun, knife, flashlight?

This is a discussion on On any 'average' day, what are you carrying? Gun, knife, flashlight? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No matter whether it's day or night, I carry all three kinds of weapons....

View Poll Results: What are you carrying on an 'average' day'?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gun

27 12.39%
  • Gun & knife

80 36.70%
  • Gun & flashlight

5 2.29%
  • Gun. knife & flashlight

81 37.16%
  • Knife

12 5.50%
  • Knife & flashlight

13 5.96%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: On any 'average' day, what are you carrying? Gun, knife, flashlight?

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    No matter whether it's day or night, I carry all three kinds of weapons.

2. Remove Ads

Gun, knife and flashlight.

As previously mentioned, the knife is primarily a utility device.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

whenever i leave the house i have at least one of each, gun knife and light. normally i have a backup knife and light around my neck as well (two is one, one is none)!

At least a gun and a knife, but often (when possible and practical) I carry two guns and a knife.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Gun Knife Flashlight
    Gun just in case.
    Knife because its useful all the time.
    Flashlight because its really useful and I want to follow rule 4 all the time.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

G23 and CRKT Ignitor.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

AFB
    I had to vote for knife and flashlight since monday through friday iam working and can not have any sort of firearm. I carry a benchmade 710 and a surefire E2D LED every day and on weekends i also carry either a glock 23 or ruger lcr 357. Some people were saying they carry there knife for utillity purposes, which is the main reason i carry mine. But it is also a self defense tool like my flashlight. Everything i carry has at least two purposes. the flashlight is used for everything that you would need a flashlight for but also as an impact device since it has the serated bessal and that will rip up skin. Sometimes i also carry a back up knife to the benchmade since the benchmade 710 has a 4 inch blade i like to carry like a benchmade mini griptilian or swiss army knife.

Some might not realize the importance of a flashlight. Yes, they serve a role in SD, you can blind an opponent w/ a good, bright flashlight to gain an advantage. It is also a good idea b/c most shootings occur in low light. But forget all the buffy reasons that could be mentioned for a moment. There is a greater chance of needing a light if the power goes out while you're in the movie theater or if you drop your keys into a dark place.

I'm not saying that everyone should have the best Surefire or Streamlight that money can buy. But everyone should at least have a small 10 lumen light on their keychain. They can be had at Galls for $6.99.
    Chevy-SS likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I'm not saying that everyone should have the best Surefire or Streamlight that money can buy. But everyone should at least have a small 10 lumen light on their keychain. They can be had at Galls for $6.99.
    - I agree 100%. You never know when you will need a flashlight. I've used it to help out other people who needed a light (dead car battery, dropped items, etc.)

My favorite EDC is the 4Sevens Preon. It's VERY bright and runs on AAA batteries. It's also about the same thickness as a pen and half as long.

All of the above. Gun, knife, and flashlight. Actually 2 knives, one is a small Ken Onion Kershaw that I use as a money clip.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

I carry a gun, a knife and a flashlight every day. Even in the day time, it can get very dark in an elevator or other structure when the power goes out.

My normal "load out" consists of:
    Gun (CW9, XD40 service model, or G23)
    at least one spare mag (two usually with the CW9 since they are single stack)
    folding knife
    flashlight
    cell phone
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Usually a Glock 26 Gen 4 accompanied with a Spyderco Delica and my trusty Streamlight Stylus Pro penlight.

I also have a very small container of OC spray in my pocket. My GF says I carry as much stuff in my pockets as she does in her purse.

All of the above. With rare exceptions, every time I leave my home turf, I do so under the premise that I may get stuck away from home by some natural or other disaster, and may have to fight my way home. I wear clothing appropriate to the weather, including shoes that I may have to hike 20+ miles in, in all conceivable conditions. Remember Officer John McClane (Bruce Willis) running around bare footed in "Die Hard?"

I am always armed with at least one hand gun and at least one reload for each, an LED flashlight and folding locking knife. If I am able to stay with my vehicle, it is well stocked for 2-3 days survival, but I don't assume I will be able to. Then there is the ever-present cell phone. If I know I will be a great distance from home, as I was this past weekend, I have survival equipment and gear in each of my automobiles, and always pack a rifle of some sort.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Although I voted "gun", most days I have a spring assisted knife with me which is kept in my fanny pack. I do not consider it a SD weapon, mostly for opening boxes, cutting tape, etc. My gun is usually on my body and I have been known to keep my BUG in my fanny pack. For whatever reasons, I cannot picture myself cutting/stabbing someone yet I would have no problem creating a large hole in their body with my .45 ACP if, heaven forbid, I may have to do that someday...go figure.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

ALWAYS have a knife. Off base and off duty, I have my sidearm where legaly able.

As for a flashlight, it may not be 'on' me at all times, but I keep several in the car and all over the house.

Always after dark.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links