On any 'average' day, what are you carrying? Gun, knife, flashlight?

This is a discussion on On any 'average' day, what are you carrying? Gun, knife, flashlight? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious to see what other members (civilian or off-duty LEO) are carrying on any 'average' day. So, on a typical day, what are you carrying? ...

View Poll Results: What are you carrying on an 'average' day'?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gun

27 12.39%
  • Gun & knife

80 36.70%
  • Gun & flashlight

5 2.29%
  • Gun. knife & flashlight

81 37.16%
  • Knife

12 5.50%
  • Knife & flashlight

13 5.96%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: On any 'average' day, what are you carrying? Gun, knife, flashlight?

On any 'average' day, what are you carrying? Gun, knife, flashlight?

Curious to see what other members (civilian or off-duty LEO) are carrying on any 'average' day. So, on a typical day, what are you carrying?

Thanks for participating in the poll!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I said gun & knife, but want to qualify that the knife for utility purposes, not self defense.

It worries me a little, regarding how many folks I know who carry a knife and refer to it as part of their self-defense arsenal. If you don't train with it, you might as well assume that it will become part of your attacker's arsenal.

I said gun and knife, but like WHEC724, my knife is a multitool so it's not for defense. I sometimes carry a flashlight but not on an average day anymore. I lost my pocket sized Surefire, and my E2D is a little large and sharp for my pocket. It's usually close by though.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I usually carry a knife for sd, a multi tool and a flashlight (LED) Need to buy one of the better ones.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I can't carry at work, so I would say (and voted) that most often I'm only carrying a knife. Once I'm at home I typically have gun and knife, flashlight close by.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Here is a picture of what I carry mostly. When I'm at work the guns, ammo and TDI stay home.

001.jpg
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

No guns in Germany....but have a knife and flashlight on hand.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

cmb
    Chose "Gun and Kinif" because there wasn't a choice for 2 guns... knife also for utility purposes, no light because I am not out a lot after dark...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Gun and Knife here although I'd like to make it Gun, Knife, and Flashlight soon
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Gun, knife with mag light handy in my truck. I've had training so I know where to cut you for maximum effect. Nuff said.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

No matter what time it is or what I'm doing, I always have a handgun and knife on me. I often have a handheld light (usually a Surefire L2X or E1B Backup) nearby or on me as well, but that's more dependent on time of day. At times I carry my handgun with a X300, but I haven't committed to doing that all the time yet.

One of my main reasons for carrying a light is just so I can see, not really to "blind" an assailant. I like the lights as a defensive tool, and after a couple low light classes I appreciate them even more as I now have a solid understanding of how and when to use them and what to use them for, but I don't really get into the idea of the strobing features and relying on it to affect someone's vision, though my wife and I every once in a while like to pop each other with a couple hundred lumens… I just don't see trying to stop an attack by clicking the tailcap three times to get the strobe feature going, I'd rather just hit them with it.

I always have a knife on me. I've carried everything from Strider, Benchmade, Chris Reeve and William Henry, but keep going back to the Benchmade 710. I don't run into to many tasks that require anything more than a very small blade, but it's the knife I'm most comfortable with for everything I need and that carries comfortably all day long. For me, I look at the knife as a last resort defensive tool and I'll most certainly use my gun or light (as an impact weapon) first. Over the years, I've taken a couple classes focused on knife fighting, one of those from Emerson. It was VERY intense, to say the least. Once you actually understand the how a knife attack plays out, it's quite barbaric. Now, I know from experience that I'll turn into a freaking viking when it comes to defending my life or my family, I'm just pointing out what a personal and extremely gory event fighting with a knife actually is. I hear (or read) so many talking about what knife to buy for defense, but never really hear them talking about training or what to expect when using a knife, and that worries me a bit.

As for a firearm, I've gone from carrying high end 1911's for a number of years to carrying a Glock or M&P in 9mm for the past year or so. One thing always remains constant though, I always carry a "duty" sized handgun, I always carry at least one but usually two extra magazines, and I ALWAYS carry in the extremely rare event I need to enter a building where it's off limits, but that only happens about once or twice a year or so.

I wasn't trying to write a novel there, but figured some explaining would help why i do what I do...
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I said gun & knife, but want to qualify that the knife for utility purposes, not self defense.

It worries me a little, regarding how many folks I know who carry a knife and refer to it as part of their self-defense arsenal. If you don't train with it, you might as well assume that it will become part of your attacker's arsenal.
    I just said something along those lines and I agree 100%.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    In the summer time just gun, knife, and oc spray. In the winter when it gets dark earlier I carry a flashlight in my coat pocket. I don't carry a knife for SD I carry one cause I use it daily from cutting strings on hay bales, opening envelopes, or cutting the rattles of a rattle snake. I always have a flashlight in my pickup but its not for SD reasons either and also have a 2 million candlelight spot light to check cattle with.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

This can be said of any tool carried for self defense. Don't carry just for show.
    thephanatik likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    Gun, knife and flashlight for me. I get used to what I have on-duty, and have a hard time giving some of it up off-duty. I usually carry 2 knives, 1 folder and one TDI, and I train with both.

For me, the flashlight is no less important than the gun or knives, and I use it WAY more often.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links