Can I carry too much?

Can I carry too much?

This is a discussion on Can I carry too much? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was having this discussion with a friend of mine at work. I just recently started carrying in CT. As of right now I work ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Can I carry too much?

Can I carry too much?

I was having this discussion with a friend of mine at work. I just recently started carrying in CT. As of right now I work as a bouncer/private security, he says from knowing me that I might be "obsessed" with guns. I told him I am obsessed with "security". Why he says this is because on me at work I now always carry

1)Knife
    2)Knife
    3)OC (2oz?) Mace Brand
    4)Flashlight
    5)Medical Latex gloves
    6)Notepad
    7)Ruger LC9 + Spare

8)Ruger SR1911 + Spare
    9)OC (4oz) Fox Labs

10)Expandable Baton

1-6 is my EDC as soon as I put my pants on. 8+9 usually carried on my body until I park at work then I lock them up and make the decision to
    carry them depending on "how the night is going" (which is included in 1-7 ie i dont get rid of the LC9 to carry the 1911. 10 is almost never carried anymore, illegal in my state since I am not acting as security, the company wont take the risk and has given us another title (floor host)

He says that is too much to be carrying. My question is how would it look to maybe an LEO or DA who is finding out that I carry all of this.

It shouldn't look any way to LE or DA as long as you can legally carry those things. I think it's a bit much, but I understand the thinking. I've been doing some close protection work now and then and even then I don't carry that much. I Cary a handgun with one or two mags no matter what I'm doing, I carry a Benchmade or Strider folder, a Surefire light and a Benchmade pen (mostly for writing).

Not saying you're wrong in any way, but I'd go a bit more "streamline".
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; August 10th, 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: DA, not DEA
    carverelli likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I'd probably go with 1 gun + 2 reloads,1 flashlight,1 OC spray,1 knife,in a crowded environment if all H breaks loose you will probably need to go hands on,one thing about carrying weapons is your ability to retain those weapons,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The title reminded me of Isaac Hayes in "I'm Gunna Get You Sucka'" when he loads up on weapons, falls over & damn near blows up.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

It's not what you carry, it's how you plan on using it.
    First and for most I would not intentionally put myself in a job where everyone is getting drunk as hell. That's a recipe for disaster, borderlining on, well, not to smart.

There is a damn good reason most LE agencies have a strict policy against moonlighting in clubs or bars.
    You really need to think this out better, or have one hell of a liability insurance policy, and legal fund, which I'm betting you don't , or you wouldn't be bouncing.
    Magnum, MadMac and oakchas like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ampinf View Post
    on me at work I now always carry

1)Knife
    2)Knife
    3)OC (2oz?) Mace Brand
    4)Flashlight
    5)Medical Latex gloves
    6)Notepad
    7)Ruger LC9 + Spare

8)Ruger SR1911 + Spare
    9)OC (4oz) Fox Labs

10)Expandable Baton

1-6 is my EDC as soon as I put my pants on. 8+9 usually carried on my body until I park at work then I lock them up and make the decision to
    carry them depending on "how the night is going" (which is included in 1-7 ie i dont get rid of the LC9 to carry the 1911. 10 is almost never carried anymore, illegal in my state since I am not acting as security, the company wont take the risk and has given us another title (floor host)

During the hours you are working as a bouncer I think ONE gun - ONE OC - and a pocket knife is sufficient.

At other times - carry an RPG if you can get one legally
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

It's looking pretty "mall ninja" to me.

ONE gun - ONE OC - and a pocket knife is sufficient.
    That's my take, and if you're carrying a firearm and OC, then even the knife starts to look negotiable. As a bouncer, your job isn't to lay waste to human life and wreak havoc and carnage on the customers. The management kinda frowns on that.

Rather, your job as security is to remove badly behaving patrons and similar persona non grata to a place where they are no longer degrading the ambiance of the establishment. You want to keep the premises safe and secure for desired clientele.

Your heavy weaponry is to protect you on your trip back to your vehicle, when the people you took care of with skilled unarmed measures might be laying in wait to visit retribution upon you.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

others will call you paranoid, or Mall Ninja....right up to the point that the SHTF, and then you won't look nearly so strange.

I would say you are just extremely well prepared.

"Plan for the worst, but pray for the best"....words to stay alive by.
    357and40 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Sounds like your prepared

Heck, if I had all of that on me my pants would be on the floor. Must weigh a ton...
    Katana likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

That's right…. there's been a couple good points made. You're a bouncer and your job is too handle rowdy customers, remove people if needed, check ID's, etc. I can understand carrying your firearm and the spray. Who knows, some "tough guy" might take something very personal and wait for you, for example. I don't see the point in the knives or really even the baton as defensive/offensive weapons. I wouldn't mess with the knives unless you have numerous classes as experience. I've taken a couple classes and though I understand the mechanics involved, my knives are still mainly just tools and a very last ditch defensive weapon.

Like I said, even doing some protection work where there was a very valid threat, I didn't feel the need to carry excess. I want to be quick and light on my feet. Also as mentioned, I'd be much more concerned about hand to hand training and learning proper holds and how to get people into them over extra knives. The baton could come in handy for the hand to hand, but ONLY if you have the training as one wrong hit to the head can take you from doing your job to assailant. That's almost as touchy as the knives in my opinion.

What does your employer say?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

That's a big list. If your comfortable and well trained carry what you feel you need.

sounds pretty overboard to me.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Eh, the only thing I would do different...and I realize I have carried almost everything you have is drop one of the knives and OC spray. The gloves and note pad for your job are great additions, I will add only one thing CPR/First Aid training and a high quality CPR mask. Not all emergencies require force.

Oh yeah since you say the Baton is problematic legally I wouldn't even take it to work, it could just be a nightmare legally.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It's not what you carry, it's how you plan on using it.
    First and for most I would not intentionally put myself in a job where everyone is getting drunk as hell. That's a recipe for disaster, borderlining on, well, not to smart.

There is a damn good reason most LE agencies have a strict policy against moonlighting in clubs or bars.
    You really need to think this out better, or have one hell of a liability insurance policy, and legal fund, which I'm betting you don't , or you wouldn't be bouncing.
    Agreed but keep in mind Glockman, you and I carry way more stuff at work than he does.

I carry a XDM on my right hip, behind that is my ASP, behind that is my Nextel, behind that is a set of cuffs, then rubber gloves, then more cuffs, then a radio, then a maglight ring, then my radio, then my surefire, then my spare mags, then my OC, then my Tazer whenever my boss decides to send me through training, and then my keys. Now that you mention it, at work I carry more than you do. In addition to that is my vest, and my backup 642 revolver on my ankle. Sounds like your good to go, but theres no need to carry 2 cans of OC, I keep a spare in my patrol bag though. I'd leave half the stuff in your bag, you don't need to carry it all. My job requires everything on my belt so I carry it, but i bet I could drop half that stuff and go if I needed to, thats the reason my holster is on a quick detach mount so i can take it off and put it on my underbelt and go.

And before everyone jumps on the are you qualified for all that, yes I am, to ILEA standards.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links