Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes/no answers are very enlighting, thank you....

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

827 72.54%
  • Draw only

232 20.35%
  • Draw and fire

81 7.11%
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

Yes/no answers are very enlighting, thank you.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by owgem View Post
    Yes/no answers are very enlighting, thank you.
    They were yes/no questions. Details are irrelevant
    okiegunguy and 40cw like this.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Drawn twice in nearly 40 years of carrying weapons.
    First time was in Rochester NY. I was out on a night callout and this guy on drugs comes up to the open drivers window with a knife. I drew and parked the PPK against his nose. He left. I knew the gun would change his mind, one way or another....

Second time 4 years ago. 6:30 AM, country road on the way to work in a small town. in the left lane doing 5 over the speed limit. A car hits me from behind. I saw him loose control and regain it. I punched the hot key for 911, put it into speaker phone (to allow hands free) and explained the situation. I was asked if anyone was injured. My reply was "not yet" (The only thing I could think of was "smash and grab", as it wasn't exactly a "park Ave" neighborhood.
    Meanwhile, brought the 9 out of the console and racked one into the chamber. The cars ocupant pulled up near me,a nd got out. I could see he had nothing in his hands, and moreover, he worked at the same company.
    The LEO arrived and took the info and wrote him a ticket. Upon seeing the LEO, I put the weapon back into the console.

Side note: If ypou are going to car-jost, don't pick on an expedition with a Honda Civic. I had a torn plastic cover on the rear bumper. He had nearly $5 of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    Side note: If ypou are going to car-jost, don't pick on an expedition with a Honda Civic. I had a torn plastic cover on the rear bumper. He had nearly $5 of damage.
    Wow, $5 of damage. I figured it would be a lot more than that! ;)
    Last edited by OD*; September 30th, 2012 at 08:23 PM.

Yes, I've had to draw and fire as an LEO, and fire in Vietnam. Didn't really like any of these experiences.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I was on the way home from work on a Saturday night about 2345hr. I had turned onto a two lane road with a 45mph speed limit. I was doing about 50mph, and saw headlights in the rear view mirror approaching at a pretty good clip. It was a Mustang and it passed me at probably 65-70mph. About 3 or 4 miles down the road, the Mustang was caught behind slower traffic. I finally caught up to the Mustang, which was still behind the slower moving traffic. Came up to a railroad crossing, and the Mustang braked hard and stopped. I stopped behind them and was thinking what are they doing. All of a sudden, four teenagers leaped out of the Mustang and started to approach my car. I could not backup, as there was a car behind me, and I am thinking ***. I retrieved the PPK (Stainless) from the glove box, and showed it to them by holding it up to the windshield. Reality hit, and they ran for the Mustang, jumped in and were on their way. To this day, no idea what was going on in their minds.

This is my first post, I like the forum. First CC Permit was in 1966. I have had to show the weapon a couple of other times.

Ken
    Southwest PA

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Ken: WELCOME!!!! Lots of great folks on here--lots of folks that have loads of real-world, practical experience. Stick around
    Hawkerdriver likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I had to draw my weapon on a bulldog once. Apparently that was'nt his first encounter with a handgun. He tucked tail and ran away.

Hawkerdriver

Once on duty as a reserve,twice in civillian situations. Never fired,don't ever want to,but try to stay prepared if ever have to..

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Being willing to and saying that you MUST are two different things. I adhere to the first, but TOTALLY disagree with the second.
    +1 I agree.

No, to both! But I hope if it does come down to it I am mentally prepared to put my training at the range and via Hand Gun Training DVD's to good use! Shot placement is key!

No to the poll, thank God and hopefully never will.

I see a lot of the replies claiming shot placement is key. The more I read the more I wonder about the actual event itself. As stated in numerous posts, adrenelin and the speed of the encounter will not allow for careful aiming and shot placement. The distance will also render shot placement and the ability to properly aim moot. The most key element will be incoming fire.
    Don`t think the BG will just stand there and make a nice easy target to shoot. Since we are the defenders we will be behind the curve and most likely drawing last. Weapon retention and getting rounds off will win or lose the encounter.

IMO the most important ingredient in any encounter is operation of your weapon from an unpracticed stance. You don`t want to extend your arms and hand your gun to the BG. Your shots will most likely need be fired from mid chest with your arm tucked against your body. Left arm and hand ready to block his grab. Your opponent will most likely be within arms reach. The encounter will probably be over by the time you can say "Holy Crap!"
    Practicing tactics and shooting at the range will develop muscle memory but try to visualize a real no bs scenario when you practice. Try moving to the left of the target, ducking and shooting from 5 feet with your gun tucked in tight like someone is trying to grab it from you. Give yourself 7 seconds from draw to safety and get as many rounds on target as possible. See how your shot placement works in that scenario.

I say this from reading info on lots of different articles about actual on the street encounters and have come to the conclusion in a face to face with Mr BG the above would probably be the scenario that would save your life.
    What if he sneaks up behind you and knocks the crap out of you then pushes you down on the ground and starts kicking your ribs in ?
    What if he has a buddy or three and they are fanned out or your attention is diverted by BG1 while BG 2&3 are behind or to the side of you?

We have too much Hollywood ingrained in our minds and threads like this prove it to a degree from some of the responses I have seen here. I watch a lot of movies too and sometimes I scare the crap out of myself visualizing my own real vs Hollywood scenario that I have just seen. Watch some of the youtube shooter videos and count off the seconds and put yourself in the position of the CHL guy as a bystander or active participant. It should be very scary.

The mental aspect of the event will prepare you just as much as the physical attributes we all ascribe to. To survive we have to dial back the testosterone and look at it from cold hard reality. Targets don`t shoot back. BG`s do. You will draw last and could very well catch some lead. Be prepared for these things to happen. Most people don`t die from gunshot wounds. People die from not being mentally prepared.
    Just my thoughts.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Draw but thankfully not fired. I was called by my youngest son telling me that our house was open and lights on. So I came home and cleared the house. It was a very tense and strange experience. Thankfully no one was there and as far as we could tell nothing was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Yes, I've had to draw and fire as an LEO, and fire in Vietnam. Didn't really like any of these experiences.
    I am sorry. But, Thank You for your service.
    Blkandrust likes this.

J_B
    As LEO Yes/Yes

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Links