Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by greg311 Draw but thankfully not fired. I was called by my youngest son telling me that our house was open and lights ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

820 72.50%
  • Draw only

230 20.34%
  • Draw and fire

81 7.16%
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

Quote Originally Posted by greg311 View Post
    Draw but thankfully not fired. I was called by my youngest son telling me that our house was open and lights on. So I came home and cleared the house. It was a very tense and strange experience. Thankfully no one was there and as far as we could tell nothing was missing.
    Had a similar experience. Also drawn but not fired. Sent the dog in ahead of me ( 100 lb intimidating Malamute) and checked out the house. Turned out the husband had rushed out to work and left the door wide open, forgetting to close it after he left.

2. Remove Ads

I have a female friend who left work, got into her car and had someone try to get in the drivers side as she was locking it.
    He ran around the passenger side and getting ready to yank the passenger door open just as she realized it wasn't locked.
    When he ducked in, he came face to face with her gun which she had time to pull. He backed away and ran off as fast as
    he could.
    Chaplain Scott and Old Sarge like this.

walked into this thread tonight, skipped through a few pages. read alot of prime examples of why we all carry. i also read a few things that made my head shake.

for the "you shouldn't draw unless you intend to shoot" believers out there i really think you should head back to the drawing boards, because that mentality could get you in ****-storm one day.

im going to try and make this as short as i can while still getting it clear...i was home on my post deployment leave on a double date, I happened to be engaged at the time. while we were paying our tab we both noticed two guys late 20's getting cut off at the bar for making sexual gestures towards the bartender, they were pretty pissed about it, and the fact they were half in the wrapper did not help matters. of course with our luck they were headed out the door just before us.

as i was throwing my arm around my fiances shoulder walking alongside the parking lot those two assclowns tore ass out of the parking lot and almost took out both my fiance and my buddys date, i threw my hands up and yelled. the guy slammed the truck to a stop and came out with a pistol fanning all of us, proceeding to yell. i have never felt so hopeless in my life, never did I ever think I would need a weapon back home...

never have i ever been so neive, and i learned my lesson.

would i have drawn and discharged? i don't know, thats a tough call with the girls there. i was able to talk him down and he took off after his buddy reminded him of how much of an idiot he was. and yes he was pinched down the road.

i respect everyones view on CCW, well I should say most..but i want to remind everyone that any chance you have to de-escalate a situation, do so, and re-holster your weapon.

theres a reason why i only served 4 years in the Marines, and i never wanted to touch a gun when i came home, but that night with my fiance taught me that even back home in the states someone can end you.

its your lifeline, and its your right to protect it. do so, just be smart about it.

Semper Fi
    0311 '05-'09

drawn several times never fired,
    Last edited by nerdyvirgin; December 1st, 2012 at 05:14 AM.
    A friend will help you move. A real friend will help move the bodies.

I've only has to draw once and it was when I worked in bank protection. Thankful I did not have to fire. Gun was an M&P full size 9mm with Gold Dot 124+P. Everything worked out felon went to jail and all is well.

I have never had to draw my gun but I did make it visible twice in the last 20 years or so. just knowing I was armed was enough to change their mind.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson. Always remember our military. Me

Drew twice, never fired as a CWP holder. Before retiring from the Army, different story.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Drew but did not fire. Mid 80's was driver/bodyguard for an admiral in Naples, Italy. While dropping off at his house, a car with 2 men pulled up. I confronted and saw a pistol. The admiral stopped me- he knew them. It was a senior officer in the Carabinerie(sp). Neither man even flinched. He showed me how many guns he had within reach. I asked why so many. He said " lots of people would like to kill me." Those guys are bad ***

I answered drawn but not fired though I have actually fired. My weapon has cleared holster three times. Three times I intended to shoot and once thankfully didn't have to.

Once was a pack of dogs that ran into the yard charging at my 3 year old. Drew my Glock 19 one round fired one dog went down the other two scattered.

2nd of all freaking things was a d***** duck. Yep I said it a duck. My neighbor had a duck it was generally a nuisance on my property but we didn't bother it though after several conversations with the neighbor to pen up his duck he neglected to do so. It caused $2500.00 in damage to my wife's 2 month old car. I had pictures. The final straw was when it cornered my wife and sister and attempted to flog my son on my property. I shot it. Then I got sued for the duck I countersued for damages to the car (with evidence of what his duck had done). The judge reduced the amount of my judgement by $500 for the stupid duck.

The third time is the only one that ever really bothered me. It was before I got married I lived in a rougher section of town. I had a neighbore named J she was an ok girl not my type at all. Though I talked to her frequently because she worked at a pawn shop I loved to buy stuff from because it was easy to buy stuff there very cheaply.

I had just bought my boat and was making an early Saturday morning of washing it and waxing it vacuuming it out, and generally getting ready to do a little fishing in the evening, as I am doing this "J" steps out of her house and walks over to me. ""J" says last night my boyfriend got drunk and beat me so I threw him out I can't afford a phone so if you see him please call the police immediately" Just as "j" gets the sentence out of her mouth I hear squeeling tires and a loud revving engine, The truck stops right infront of my fully fenced in yard and out jumps superstar boyfriend. My handgun was holstered on my hip but my cell phone was on the front porch about 20 feet away. I immediately began retreating to my porch to get my cell phone. As I did so I hear her B/f say " I knew you were F**** my girl I am going to kill you". He reached in the bed of his truck at the same time I reached my front porch he pulled a baseball bat, and began advancing to my front yard as I was telling him not to come any closer. When he placed his hand on my gate to open it which was about 10 yards away instict took over, and it happened exactly as I had practiced ( I carry dead chamber and constantly drill to chamber round while drawing to aim). I remember yelling one more command I remember yelling it today like my life depended on it (his did) "STOP DO NOT MOVE ONE MORE STEP I WILL SHOOT" Luckily when he saw the gun he did stop, I don't know how much more pressure I could have put on that trigger with out it breaking but I know there was no more slack in it. I still relive it, and I still know to this day one more step and I would have sent lead flying, I am still to this day gratefull I didn't have to. I will take a life in defense of my family only as a last resort.

The 911 call afterwards was now that I think about it kind of funny.

***** 911 what is your emergancy?

Me I just had an altercation with a neighbor and I would appreciate it if you could send a police officer out to take a report.

Dispatch Is anyone hurt?

Me No

Dispatch well if you really feel it neccessary I will have an officer out in about 45 minutes

Me Extremely calmly word for word Maam I don't think you understand the exact gravity of the situation, but I am going to explain it to you I was at home minding my own business when my neighbor threatened me with a baseball bat and I drew my firearm.

Dispatch OK

The funny part was after being told that it would be 45 minutes 6 minutes later there were 4 police cars in my street.

I did exactly as I was taught I cleared the weapon afterwards separated the mag from the gun and locked the slide back and showed all rounds accounted for kept my hands visible at all times.

Before the cop left I asked what I should have done differently he said squeeze the trigger a little harder.

I have reviewed it several times in my head my tactical errors were

I should not have retreated to the front porch I never used that door and it was locked though I had placed my cell phone there to keep it from getting wet.

my front porch was elevated 6 feet off the ground with a 3 foot tall railing and only one way on or off of it I essentially trapped myself there and would have had to fight my way off. This was before the castle doctrine was extended to include all yards and porches and vehicles with no duty to retreat.

So there it is my story I remember to this day every specific detail. I still consider it a success he went to jail (different warrant). He threatened to come back and finish the job "when he caught me without a gun". Which after his little shenanigans I loaded the 590 and kept it within arms reach at home at all times. I never saw him again he never came back to his girlfriends apartment either.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    ^ I have to admit the duck part had me chuckling a bit and the boyfriend part seemed pretty intense...

I voted No/No. I have pulled a few times in the house when someone rings the doorbell late at night or when I think I hear something in the house, however, I've never pulled in public and hope I never have to. People were talking about shooting a BG in the back. Here in KS (not sure about anywhere else) if someone else's (a 3rd party) life is in danger and they are being threatned with deadly force (even a knife) and you reasonally believe they are in danger you can act on their behalf and shoot to eliminate the threat. In a KS 3rd party defense situation you can shoot in the back. Lately, KS just passed a law saying that a pregnate woman can act on behalf of their 3rd party baby to defend the unborn baby's life, which I think is pretty cool. If they feel their baby's life is in danger, they can use deadly force.

Anyways, I was just saying that if you walk into a gas station and there's a prayer meeting going on (armed robbery with people's hands up) you can shoot the BG in the back. In fact, my CCW instructor said not to shoot your big mouth off and say things like, "freeze" or "drop your weapon" or "stop" or something that alerts the BG who is threatning everyone's life. You just eliminate the deadly threat if you feel like you can. No KS law says you have to give any type of warning before eliminating a deadly threat. Now, if your walking in with your 3yo grand daughter or something, I would turn around and get out of there because you would just be putting her life at risk. No KS law says that if you come upon an indicent you have to act...it's your choice whether to act or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    I voted No/No. I have pulled a few times in the house when someone rings the doorbell late at night or when I think I hear something in the house, however, I've never pulled in public and hope I never have to. People were talking about shooting a BG in the back. Here in KS (not sure about anywhere else) if someone else's (a 3rd party) life is in danger and they are being threatned with deadly force (even a knife) and you reasonally believe they are in danger you can act on their behalf and shoot to eliminate the threat. In a KS 3rd party defense situation you can shoot in the back. Lately, KS just passed a law saying that a pregnate woman can act on behalf of their 3rd party baby to defend the unborn baby's life, which I think is pretty cool. If they feel their baby's life is in danger, they can use deadly force.

Anyways, I was just saying that if you walk into a gas station and there's a prayer meeting going on (armed robbery with people's hands up) you can shoot the BG in the back. In fact, my CCW instructor said not to shoot your big mouth off and say things like, "freeze" or "drop your weapon" or "stop" or something that alerts the BG who is threatning everyone's life. You just eliminate the deadly threat if you feel like you can. No KS law says you have to give any type of warning before eliminating a deadly threat. Now, if your walking in with your 3yo grand daughter or something, I would turn around and get out of there because you would just be putting her life at risk. No KS law says that if you come upon an indicent you have to act...it's your choice whether to act or not.

While I understand and appreciate what you are saying there is no way on God's Green Earth I would ever shoot someone in the back. I apologize to the cashier and others in advance, but I will not go through the nightmare of shooting someone in the back. I will draw I will stand ready and should the Thug choose to advance on me I will shoot him. BUT I can already hear the court trial and the prosecutor making a HUGE deal of shooting someone in the back. Even yelling a command and forcing the Thug to turn towards you I can hear the prosecutor now yeah well he wasn't bothering you until you ordered him to turn around or got his attention forcing him to be a threat to you.

I value human life greatly and I hate it for the cashier I would render medical aid if needed but I have a family to support, and I can't rightfully support them from prison, and shooting someone in the back no matter how justifiable is never a gamble I am willing to take, even if I won in trial court and civil court the legal fees would be astronomical. That in my eyes is a no win situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SigSaurP228 View Post
    While I understand and appreciate what you are saying there is no way on God's Green Earth I would ever shoot someone in the back. I apologize to the cashier and others in advance, but I will not go through the nightmare of shooting someone in the back. I will draw I will stand ready and should the Thug choose to advance on me I will shoot him. BUT I can already hear the court trial and the prosecutor making a HUGE deal of shooting someone in the back. Even yelling a command and forcing the Thug to turn towards you I can hear the prosecutor now yeah well he wasn't bothering you until you ordered him to turn around or got his attention forcing him to be a threat to you.

I value human life greatly and I hate it for the cashier I would render medical aid if needed but I have a family to support, and I can't rightfully support them from prison, and shooting someone in the back no matter how justifiable is never a gamble I am willing to take, even if I won in trial court and civil court the legal fees would be astronomical. That in my eyes is a no win situation.
    What if you witnessed the BG shooting an innocent? Back turned or not, were it me there, he's going down. He already proved that he didn't value human life. Unless I act, who is next? Maybe me ?

Quote Originally Posted by carverelli View Post
    What if you witnessed the BG shooting an innocent? Back turned or not, were it me there, he's going down. He already proved that he didn't value human life. Unless I act, who is next? Maybe me ?
    As soon as he turns to me than I will fire. I will render medical aid otherwise and be a good witness I will not intervene to shoot someone in the back. I am not a police officer and I don't have the weight of a huge insurance policy and lawyers behind me

Yes

WalMart parking lot. I was with my oldest daughter who at the time was 3, i had just parked my truck shortly after a car three or four spots dowm from me open all four doors and 5 males walked towards me with one guy with his hand under his shirt they started asking me for money, the opening line was "hey dog nice truck". I was at my daughters door and quickly shot it, as they approached i said step away or it will get ugly, they laughed one guy said something about ugly for me and your daughter will have nightmares the rest of her life. I lifted the tail on my shirt and drew my XD 357sig and pointed it at the the lead guys chest. Tails tucked the hightailed it back to the car i called the police i had gotten the tag, two officers showed up wrote down some information got a statement from an onlooker and that was that. I went inside got what i needed and me and my daughter left, i would habe pulled the trigger if they took one more step.

Links