Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Voted No and No as far as CC. However I did pull a shotgun on a guy trying to break in to our house when ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

824 72.54%
  • Draw only

231 20.33%
  • Draw and fire

81 7.13%
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

Voted No and No as far as CC. However I did pull a shotgun on a guy trying to break in to our house when I was 16. Safety off, bead on and in process of squeezing trigger @ about 12 ft. when he took off. (Night time)
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

Nope thank goodness
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Home notwithstanding since it's a bit foolish to leave a secure room to investigate a noise without arming.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Best I recall I've only drawn once as a civilian ccwr. That was backing a lone patrol officer clearing a liquor store on a window smash.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I've drawn once, didn't fire do to shot being unsafe do to running kid, long story. It thankfully worked out where I didn't have to shoot a vicious dog that attacked me and my friend.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by DeviousMind View Post
    did you hit your intended target?
    I did. The muzzle was only about 1 foot away from his face.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Unfortunately I have had to draw my weapon to defend myself, twice. Strangely both were with in a few months of each other in 2009. And they were vastly differing situation. Both instances I was microseconds from completing the pull of the trigger when the bad guy ran and I was happily not required to actually fire.

Results were: one crackhead gang member who tried to car jack me at the Sam's club gas station on Getwell road in Memphis arrested and eventually sentenced to 3 years in jail (for other outstanding warrants, not for the attempted car jacking of me) and the 2nd bad guy stopped beating the hell out of my friend and ran from the scene. he was caught down the street and arrested for assault. He got a year in jail and 3 years probation. With time served waiting for the trial, he was out in 4 months and is still on probation I think until some time in early 2013.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    as a normal person I have drawn once coming home from work at the auto parts store, two guys surrounded me with a car in front and started yelling and cursing then one guy reached behind his back and I put the barrel of my gun up to his face at eye level and he thought twice. The other times I have drawn were at work and not always because I had an imminent threat directly in front of me: ie, clearing buildings and the like
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Do snakes count?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Never drawn and never fired, and pray to God I never have to.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

drawn 3 times pulled the trigger once

1st was stupid as a teenager and could have been handled by calling hotel security instead.

2nd was as I was leaving work and getting into my car 3 men split up 2 going behind
    me and the 3rd coming between my car and the one next to it reaching in the car
    and obviously grabbing a gun made them rethink their actions and back off

3rd was the armed robberry attempt where I work and the guy marched 2 employees
    and 2 customers to the back and then pointed his gun in my face. I pulled the trigger
    in that case, but had the thumb safety still on. He ran out the store before I had another
    shot, but I still answered the question as having fired. (There are other posts here that
    have more details about this one)

about 10 years between each incident
    Last edited by Tzadik; August 11th, 2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: can't seem to indent paragraphs

No to either

Thankfully no, I have never had to draw or fire my handgun in a self-defense situation and hope that I never will.

Most of the anti-gun people think that we who carry concealed are living for the day when we get to rip out the gun and shoot someone. They have virtually no clue as to why we would even consider doing it in the first place.

The possibility exists that yes, someday I may have to use a handgun or other firearm in self defense, I just keep praying it never will occur.
    Tzadik, TN_Mike, JerryMac and 3 others like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    The possibility exists that yes, someday I may have to use a handgun or other firearm in self defense, I just keep praying it never will occur.
    Amen, brother

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Yes. I've drawn twice and fired once.
    Did you have to go through any of legal hassles as a result of the shooting?

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links