Defensive Carry banner

Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

425K views 613 replies 455 participants last post by  robertelachance185 
#1 ·
If you are a CCW holder:

Have you ever had to draw and/or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

#3 ·
Yes. I've drawn twice and fired once.

#614 ·
On Duty, once. I was returning home from working armed security. The guard company that employed me had uniforms that "somewhat" resembled one of the local police departments. As I was walking from my car to the gate of my apartment building when I was approached by two individuals. One was somewhat under the influence of something that made him somewhat delusional. He mistakenly assumed I had his brother arrest earlier that evening. At around 40+ feet he pulled out a knife, started approaching me quickly. I drew my G19 from my duty holster and brought it to bear on him. The knife bearing man and his friend had the sudden urge to flee the immediate area. That was the most I have EVER have been scared. My goal in this life is to never shoot anyone. I don't need that kind of complication in my life!

#8 ·
-
I'm with Macantic & REVMAN, I've done neither & truly hope not to...but prepared to do so nonetheless.

Reactions: 10mmDWessonman
#16 ·
Voted No and No as far as CC. However I did pull a shotgun on a guy trying to break in to our house when I was 16. Safety off, bead on and in process of squeezing trigger @ about 12 ft. when he took off. (Night time)

#18 ·
Home notwithstanding since it's a bit foolish to leave a secure room to investigate a noise without arming.

Reactions: 10mmDWessonman
#22 ·
Unfortunately I have had to draw my weapon to defend myself, twice. Strangely both were with in a few months of each other in 2009. And they were vastly differing situation. Both instances I was microseconds from completing the pull of the trigger when the bad guy ran and I was happily not required to actually fire.

Results were: one crackhead gang member who tried to car jack me at the Sam's club gas station on Getwell road in Memphis arrested and eventually sentenced to 3 years in jail (for other outstanding warrants, not for the attempted car jacking of me) and the 2nd bad guy stopped beating the hell out of my friend and ran from the scene. he was caught down the street and arrested for assault. He got a year in jail and 3 years probation. With time served waiting for the trial, he was out in 4 months and is still on probation I think until some time in early 2013.

#23 ·
as a normal person I have drawn once coming home from work at the auto parts store, two guys surrounded me with a car in front and started yelling and cursing then one guy reached behind his back and I put the barrel of my gun up to his face at eye level and he thought twice. The other times I have drawn were at work and not always because I had an imminent threat directly in front of me: ie, clearing buildings and the like

#33 ·
Have you drawn and/or fired as an abnormal person? :rolleyes::tongue: J/K

I've never drawn (other than having a gun in hand when checking late night "bumps." But I don't count them) . I have however, displayed my holstered weapon in "a situation."

#26 · (Edited)
drawn 3 times pulled the trigger once

1st was stupid as a teenager and could have been handled by calling hotel security instead.

2nd was as I was leaving work and getting into my car 3 men split up 2 going behind
me and the 3rd coming between my car and the one next to it reaching in the car
and obviously grabbing a gun made them rethink their actions and back off

3rd was the armed robberry attempt where I work and the guy marched 2 employees
and 2 customers to the back and then pointed his gun in my face. I pulled the trigger
in that case, but had the thumb safety still on. He ran out the store before I had another
shot, but I still answered the question as having fired. (There are other posts here that
have more details about this one)

about 10 years between each incident

#28 ·
Thankfully no, I have never had to draw or fire my handgun in a self-defense situation and hope that I never will.

Most of the anti-gun people think that we who carry concealed are living for the day when we get to rip out the gun and shoot someone. They have virtually no clue as to why we would even consider doing it in the first place.

The possibility exists that yes, someday I may have to use a handgun or other firearm in self defense, I just keep praying it never will occur.