Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I Had To Draw my weapon BUT NOT SHOOT IT...THANK GOD Due to a person shooting from a moving car @ Night on a highway ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

820 72.50%
  • Draw only

230 20.34%
  • Draw and fire

81 7.16%
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

I Had To Draw my weapon BUT NOT SHOOT IT...THANK GOD Due to a person shooting from a moving car @ Night on a highway while my girlfriend And I were Out walking her dog in Our apartment complex one Night.

Dale531

2. Remove Ads

Draw on duty in previous job long time back. Shots never fired either direction. First time, I was absolutely amazed by how much sweat my palms can generate (my palms never, ever sweat) and was very happy that I'd swapped the wood grips on my Mod 66 for Pachs.

Cleared house at night (using 870 as primary, not a handgun) to get entire family into barricade. That was not fun at all, and a very long story involving SWAT in neighborhood, but no shots. We've since moved and if I have my way will never again live in a city or town.

Very happy about not firing/being fired at on this side of the ponds. Hope to keep it that way.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Does drawing it on a Coyote count? (it looked like it was about to attack my dog until I came around corner)

I hope I never have to draw on a person.

I've drawn two times, but never had to shoot. With those two times though the appearance of the gun changed the situation for the better. One time I was up against three guys with bad intent. Once they saw the gun they were gone in a hurry.

VIP Member
    I've never had to draw or shoot, thank God, and I hope I never have to. But I'm prepared to defend myself and my family if ever threatened with grave bodily harm and have no other choice.

(Btw, when I first selected a choice, I could see everyone's handle that had replied to each of the choices - Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? - View Poll Results). Now it seems to be working correctly.)
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Drew my Sig P230 back in 1995 in a parking lot across from Lane Tech High School in Chicago. I was in my new car in a parking lot where I owned a business. There was also a Welfare office in the same strip mall and it was payday. I was in traffic when some Chicago Gangbangers threatened and approached my car with bats & pipes they retrieved from a trunk. I exited my one day old Lexus and drew my Sig P230. When they saw the gun they retreated but let me know they knew who I was. I called the police because I knew they would be notified, which was not the case. The police station advised me to obtain a permit to have a shotgun on my premises. I did just that. Later in the afternoon the gangbangers returned to the alley of my business and approached my open back door with threats of bodily harm. I produce the Winchester 1300 defender next to my desk. I never saw them again!No shots fired.

I will say that the excitement of the day and a possible violent encounter made me sick to my stomach and my muscles ached for 3 days.
    Aphdmansoc and GoBigOrange like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Drew my Sig P230 back in 1995 in a parking lot across from Lane Tech High School in Chicago. I was in my new car in a parking lot where I owned a business. There was also a Welfare office in the same strip mall and it was payday. I was in traffic when some Chicago Gangbangers threatened and approached my car with bats & pipes they retrieved from a trunk. I exited my one day old Lexus and drew my Sig P230. When they saw the gun they retreated but let me know they knew who I was. I called the police because I knew they would be notified, which was not the case. The police station advised me to obtain a permit to have a shotgun on my premises. I did just that. Later in the afternoon the gangbangers returned to the alley of my business and approached my open back door with threats of bodily harm. I produce the Winchester 1300 defender next to my desk. I never saw them again!No shots fired.

I will say that the excitement of the day and a possible violent encounter made me sick to my stomach and my muscles ached for 3 days.
    Wow! When I graduated from Lane Tech, in 1961, it was a safe neighborhood. I was a wrestler and a gymnast so I had practice until 6:00 PM. I used to take the CTA sometimes and walk home other times. Once I started driving, the engine never cooled off. There were occasional fights at Riverview Amusement Park next door but nothing serious.

So......I was told if you have to clear leather you better come up shootin'.......all these "Draw and no shots fired" senarios......now in retrospect, how many really drew their weapon prematurely....?
    Seems like a lot.........

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    So......I was told if you have to clear leather you better come up shootin'.......all these "Draw and no shots fired" senarios......now in retrospect, how many really drew their weapon prematurely....?
    I Don't think prematurely is accurate, the threats were nuetralised before deadly force was used. Not letting them get close enough to cause harm in my case was a good idea in my case. I my opinion. I'm glad police don't shoot every time they draw.
    aceakarick, 40cw and AnthonyC like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

We're not Police...........right ?

That may get you into trouble someday. I have heard of several occurances where the INSTANT the GG drew his firearm, the BG turned around (keep in mind it takes about 1 to 1.5 seconds to draw from concealment and get on target). Good luck with shooting someone in the back, then making a case of self-defense
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Whoa.................."Shooting someone in the back" where do you come off with that stuff....? Geeezzzz.
    Said I was told....if you read it correctly.......doesn't necessarilly mean 'Do as I say, not as I do".
    40cw likes this.

Whoa.................."Shooting someone in the back" where do you come off with that stuff....? Geeezzzz.
    Said I was told....if you read it correctly.......doesn't necessarilly mean 'Do as I say, not as I do".
    The point being made is this... you made it sound like people were drawing prematurely because they didn't have to fire. What he is saying is that there are times when drawing ends the threat. If you think you have to fire ever time you draw you may very well not draw soon enough at some point, or your follow through might result in shooting someone who is no longer a thread (i.e. turning around to run after seeing your gun.)
    dbucciar and 40cw like this.

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. I was taught (and believe) that you only draw to fire, but I can see numerous cases where drawing just a little early could prevent the necessity of deadly force.

If some guy is approaching me with ill-intent and I draw only at the last second he will probably die. If I draw a second earlier and level the gun at him, he may decide the go the other way.

Personally I think that you can get the best of both worlds if you let your posture tell them you are about to lay them out. (Blade stance, command them to not approach, and get a good grip on the gun.) I am very hesitant to draw for legal reasons. Any thoughts?

Well, I'm not opposed to drawing but not showing.........keeping the handgun pointed down using my leg as a cover as many police I have seen do over the years.....don't know the technical term for this position....then if the threat is withdrawn........reholster and go about your business.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Links