Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; was being beaten by six men once....pulled my 38 special and emptied six shots blindly into the crowd...no one killed three hits...gun confiscated and returned ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

818 72.45%
  • Draw only

230 20.37%
  • Draw and fire

81 7.17%
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree196Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

was being beaten by six men once....pulled my 38 special and emptied six shots blindly into the crowd...no one killed three hits...gun confiscated and returned after two months
    ILoveSigs likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I don't believe it goes "if you draw it you use it" I believe it goes something like this "don't draw unless you are willing to use it"

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Badey, until you have seen the elephant, I would not make absolutes.....
    Fair enough.
    Harryball and GSDSchutzhund like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Never drawn, never fired.

I firmly believe that unless my life or the life of one of my loved ones is in danger I would not shoot another
    human being.

Would I draw my weapon to defuse a situation? You betcha'.

They can take my stuff if they want, but if I or someone I care about is in imminent danger that changes everything.

Ask yourself this. Would you take someone elses life, because they were stealing your car or your big screen TV or your money?
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Fueling up late at night, a (unknown to me) homeless person was rounding my truck to beg for cash. I didnt know that. I noticed the person rounding my car where NO ONE SHOULD BE, and drew on them. This person halted rounding the back of my truck as I yelled to back off. They explained and left quickly. I of course did not fire.

I have had to draw down on the job.
    I have had to draw and fire in self defense once. I did not kill anyone, I got charged with Shooting in Public and reckless handling of a firearm and was found guilty of shooting in public thanks to VA's duty to retreat laws. (I really would have loved to have asked the judge how he would have retreated from 4 men pummeling his face, body, and crotch while one has him iin a choke hold, the four men have yet to be picked up on their warrants) I still get angry thinking of this.

happy.gif

Preface by Chuck Hawks, Managing Editor

I decided to reproduce this rather long piece here partly because it is clearly the author's desire that it be widely disseminated. Another part is that it makes interesting reading and I enjoy a good read as much as anyone. Although the author has some strong opinions and I don't necessarily agree with all of them, they are informed opinions and worthy of consideration. Actually, I have an idea about the identity of "Anonymous," which is another reason this piece appears here, but it is the author's desire to remain amonymous and in any case I could be wrong.

Self-defense ammunition is a field in which improvements are continually taking place. In order to keep this article timely, in February 2006 and August 2011 I took the liberty of revising some sections in minor ways to keep them up to date and to include recent information. Enjoy Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

This is a guide to help you select the best ammunition for your defensive firearm. Most of these opinions are based upon the work of Massad Ayoob, Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow, police officers who have extensively studied the issue of firearms, ammunition and stopping power. I refer all interested parties to the excellent series by Ayoob ('In the Gravest Extreme,''Stressfire,' 'The Semi-Automatic Pistol in Police Service and Self-Defense', 'Stressfire II: Advanced Combat Shotgun') and the comprehensive book 'Stopping Power' by Marshall and Sanow.

In particular, it cannot be stressed too heavily that all gun owners should own a copy of 'In the Gravest Extreme' and re-read it periodically. Once you have read it you will understand why. Buy it. (The Ayoob titles - and other items like Cor-Bon ammunition and Spyderco 'Clipit' folding knives - are available mail order ($9.95@ and $3.95 shipping and handling) from "Police Bookshelf," P.O. Box 122, Concord NH 03302; telephone # 1-800-624-9049. American Express, VISA, Mastercard, and Discover cards gladly accepted. Order today - you will be grateful.)

These three policemen are the world's foremost authorities on choosing ammunition for real-world defensive use. Their views are based on exhaustive review of thousands of police and civilian shooting incidents, autopsies, and ballistic tests.

Some other authorities rely entirely on the latter (e.g. Dr. Martin Fackler, the FBI Wound Ballistics Lab, the National Institute of Justice Ballistic Research Laboratory) which is insufficient to make reliable predictions. Human beings react differently to being shot than gelatin, goats, or other test media, and bullets that perform spectacular feats in the laboratory sometimes give mediocre results on the street.

A perfect example of this are the silly 1989-90 FBI tests which resulted in the FBI choosing the mediocre 10mm S&W Model 1076 and the 180 grain JHP round. For this reason, I have chosen to rely on Ayoob, Marshall, and Sanow when it comes to selecting my ammunition and strongly advise you do the same. What follows is essentially a distillation of their opinions. I urge you to research the sources listed for a more detailed discussion than is possible here.

I cannot stress too heavily that the primary determinant of stopping power is BULLET PLACEMENT. A cool, deliberate marksman with a little .32 Walther PPK will beat a panicky, inaccurate man with a .357 Magnum or $1200 customized .45 auto every time. Whatever firearm and caliber you select, you must practice firing hundreds - thousands - of rounds in realistic defensive scenarios until you can confidently make disabling hits on your target. Tactics and marksmanship win gunfights - not having the latest 'wonder bullet' in your gun.

Unfortunately, I cannot teach you tactics in this short essay, only recommend proven ammunition. You MUST seek out competent training in tactics and marksmanship from a qualified instructor in your area. In the meanwhile, studying Ayoob's great book 'Stressfire' will get you off to an excellent start.
    oldnfat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I have heard, if you pull it you had better be able or willing to use it.
    Bingo.

Sent from my 300 baud modem
    Tlove likes this.

OK, I never had to draw but did have to finger paint... finger+painting.jpg
    40cw and Wickked like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evangelistal View Post
    happy.gif

Preface by Chuck Hawks, Managing Editor

I decided to reproduce this rather long piece here partly because it is clearly the author's desire that it be widely disseminated. Another part is that it makes interesting reading and I enjoy a good read as much as anyone. Although the author has some strong opinions and I don't necessarily agree with all of them, they are informed opinions and worthy of consideration. Actually, I have an idea about the identity of "Anonymous," which is another reason this piece appears here, but it is the author's desire to remain amonymous and in any case I could be wrong.

Self-defense ammunition is a field in which improvements are continually taking place. In order to keep this article timely, in February 2006 and August 2011 I took the liberty of revising some sections in minor ways to keep them up to date and to include recent information. Enjoy Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

This is a guide to help you select the best ammunition for your defensive firearm. Most of these opinions are based upon the work of Massad Ayoob, Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow, police officers who have extensively studied the issue of firearms, ammunition and stopping power. I refer all interested parties to the excellent series by Ayoob ('In the Gravest Extreme,''Stressfire,' 'The Semi-Automatic Pistol in Police Service and Self-Defense', 'Stressfire II: Advanced Combat Shotgun') and the comprehensive book 'Stopping Power' by Marshall and Sanow.

In particular, it cannot be stressed too heavily that all gun owners should own a copy of 'In the Gravest Extreme' and re-read it periodically. Once you have read it you will understand why. Buy it. (The Ayoob titles - and other items like Cor-Bon ammunition and Spyderco 'Clipit' folding knives - are available mail order ($9.95@ and $3.95 shipping and handling) from "Police Bookshelf," P.O. Box 122, Concord NH 03302; telephone # 1-800-624-9049. American Express, VISA, Mastercard, and Discover cards gladly accepted. Order today - you will be grateful.)

These three policemen are the world's foremost authorities on choosing ammunition for real-world defensive use. Their views are based on exhaustive review of thousands of police and civilian shooting incidents, autopsies, and ballistic tests.

Some other authorities rely entirely on the latter (e.g. Dr. Martin Fackler, the FBI Wound Ballistics Lab, the National Institute of Justice Ballistic Research Laboratory) which is insufficient to make reliable predictions. Human beings react differently to being shot than gelatin, goats, or other test media, and bullets that perform spectacular feats in the laboratory sometimes give mediocre results on the street.

A perfect example of this are the silly 1989-90 FBI tests which resulted in the FBI choosing the mediocre 10mm S&W Model 1076 and the 180 grain JHP round. For this reason, I have chosen to rely on Ayoob, Marshall, and Sanow when it comes to selecting my ammunition and strongly advise you do the same. What follows is essentially a distillation of their opinions. I urge you to research the sources listed for a more detailed discussion than is possible here.

I cannot stress too heavily that the primary determinant of stopping power is BULLET PLACEMENT. A cool, deliberate marksman with a little .32 Walther PPK will beat a panicky, inaccurate man with a .357 Magnum or $1200 customized .45 auto every time. Whatever firearm and caliber you select, you must practice firing hundreds - thousands - of rounds in realistic defensive scenarios until you can confidently make disabling hits on your target. Tactics and marksmanship win gunfights - not having the latest 'wonder bullet' in your gun.

Unfortunately, I cannot teach you tactics in this short essay, only recommend proven ammunition. You MUST seek out competent training in tactics and marksmanship from a qualified instructor in your area. In the meanwhile, studying Ayoob's great book 'Stressfire' will get you off to an excellent start.
    first welcome to the forum evangelistal
    interesting writing, and this is a topic that has been discuss on this site numerous times, but I fail to see how this relates in any fashion to the topic of this thread which is discussing whether or not a person has had to draw their firearm
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Do snakes count?
    Only Western Diamond backs :)
    -----

Bob - US Army Retired - Desert Storm
    Central Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Drill_Here View Post
    Only Western Diamond backs :)
    I was going to say, only had to show once, but this requalifies it. Had to draw and shoot twice, both snakes died!

yep, 43 years ago. after i got jumped & smacked over the head by a group of train thieves with an oak 2x4 in a chicago train yard. i was a railroad gum shoe. i fired my 38 twice before i passed out. my aim wasn't so good as i hit one of the perps in the groin and another in the hip. It wasn't pretty, especially after my partner released our Doberman K9.

One night in 1992 My wife , 2 kids & I got lost while driving in Augusta Ga ( I was stationed at FT. Gordon). we came up to stop light at a deserted intersection, my wife was looking at a map trying to figure out if we needed to turn or go straight. Three "Shady" individuals were at the light and started to cross the stree from our left, they suddenly started to make bee line for my door. I was at least 20 feet from the crosswalk in case we need to get into a different lane. I drew my taurus 44 special and let the barrel be seen above the door frame ( it was summer & I had my window rolled down). The "Shady" gentlemen made a U turn & hauled ass. I then ran the light & hauled ass myself.

Never had to draw and hope I never need to but to protect my self or my family if I do, I am willing to use it and only then
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Links