Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? - Page 9

Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

This is a discussion on Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; never had to draw my gun thankfully...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

Voters
1191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never had to draw or fire

864 72.54%
  • Draw only

243 20.40%
  • Draw and fire

84 7.05%
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Like Tree310Likes

Thread: Have You Ever Had To Draw Your Firearm In Self Defense? - Have You Had To Fire It?

never had to draw my gun thankfully

I've drawn down on someone trying to kick in my door. He was one more kick away from gaining entry and eternity.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

G'afternoon: this is an extremely delicate question, outside of the emotional and legal aspect. After two wars, which don't count, and years of exploration in extremely remote areas of the Pacific basin, From the Gobi to the North Western, still basically unknown, barranca country of Mexico, I have to say yes. Naturally I will not go into details, but in every case it was with a sense of relief that 'I' was still intact. Frankly I never lost much sleep on the other guy, since it was his own doing. I was alone, as usual, on the trail with just my mule looking for Lost Jesuit mines, with no law within days of mule travel.

Nuff said, except that I sleep with my mod 28 .357 under my sheets or inside my bed roll where it can be activated with practically no notice.

As for a night stand or under a pillow in civilized areas?? Put yourself in the baddies shoes, what would you do if you saw your intended victim frantically reaching in either place?

I have been elected into the Explorers club because of these travels. --> www/explorers.org

simple story --on 'almost' shooting on another occasion--> The action sorta reminds me of the time my partner and I were backpacking down the west coast of Mexico in the 50's. There were 'no' roads then what-so-ever, then just trails.

We hadn't seen any sign of people for three days except for one spot where a set of bare feet came out of the jungle to the beach and a hole in the sand, with broken Turtle eggs shells scattered around.

We made camp in a wide dry arroyo for protection from the early morning breeze which to us was cold, since we were now acclimated, but had only one blanket apiece..
    After dinner, as it grew dark ,we just watched the play of phosphorescence in the multiple lines of the waves, It was beautiful, similar to sheet lightning, but in continuous multiple layers. You could actually walk by the light from the waves with no moon light.

We were quietly enjoying the view when I heard my partner hiss. I looked up and saw two figures, bent over, as if hiding, silently running towards our camp

We both had trained extensively with our pistols for over a year, before starting out, so we were confident of our ability, so we withheld our fire until the last moment. Just as they reached the 'no' pass line they slowed down and stood erect.

They were two, slightly drunk, Indians that had their arms full of tortillas, fresh corn tamales,and misc fruit which they were bringing to us from a party further up the beach - no, we had no idea they were there .

When I explained to them how they almost joined their ancestors, they sobered up and apologized, they had broken the unwritten code of the bush / jungle of announcing your approaching to a camp by singing or whistling.

In any event, we found just how generous the Indians in the bush or jungle are, Thy simply knew that we were there and brought their arms full of goodies for 3 kilometers to share with us. We spent the next three days enjoying each others company hunting and fishing while they added some survival data to ours. Then they packed up and returned to the bush.

Before they left, I gave each woman a large needle and 20 meters of strong thread, while the men received 10 hi speed .22 cartridges each, the universal exchange in the Jungle at that time. Money was worthless. One woman almost cried over her needle, she had been using a cactus thorn with the fibrous thread still attached. I think that every metal pot, cup or utensil was individually bit or thumped, they had never seen metal pots, plates, or cups before.

Life can be interesting and fun.

incidentally, there was absolutely no man made junk on the beach, just clean sparkling sand day after day.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    Ransom, wmhawth, Dandyone and 6 others like this.

Draw only and it wasn't my carry piece. It was actually a 30.30 Marlin lever action. They left.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Despite following the golden rule of not going to stupid places, doing stupid things with stupid people, I've drawn my firearm numerous times due to work, and a few times as a 'civilian.'

I think I'm quite typical CCW holder if one is to believe NRA's statistics that allege that Americans defend themselves some 2,500,000 times yearly with firearms. Since the homicide statistics and gun-related injuries are well below that figure, I'd say that guns are effectively used a lot in America without pulling the trigger.

More details.....please

I would like to hear more details from those who drew their weapons. How did the defensive situation develop? What caused you to draw your gun. How did the situation end? What did you learn that will help you if you encounter a similar situation in the future?

Were the police called? What actions did the police take? If the police were called how did your interaction with the police go?
    Second Amendment America's Original Homeland Security!

"Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion...in private self-defense" - John Adams

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I did have to draw down and make noise on a very strange acting skunk after flushing it out from under a shelf under our carport.

I flashed my weapon at a suburban load of punks following me. I got out of my truck and acted like I was going to walk up to a house as they rolled by real slow giving me the stinkeye. I just raised my shirt and showed them I was armed. They just kept on rolling down the street.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    No I have not

Quote Originally Posted by Tayopo View Post
    G'afternoon: this is an extremely delicate question, outside of the emotional and legal aspect. After two wars, which don't count, and years of exploration in extremely remote areas of the Pacific basin, From the Gobi to the North Western, still basically unknown, barranca country of Mexico, I have to say yes. Naturally I will not go into details, but in every case it was with a sense of relief that 'I' was still intact. Frankly I never lost much sleep on the other guy, since it was his own doing. I was alone, as usual, on the trail with just my mule looking for Lost Jesuit mines, with no law within days of mule travel...
    Is this you?

If you're ever wandering central UT looking for lost Spanish mines, send me a PM. I have a feeling you would be very interesting to talk to.
    cash, Tayopo, LaraCroft10 and 2 others like this.

I live in Australia. You guys will love this. If someone comes into my house with a axe robbing me, and i shoot them. I go to jail for excessive force.
    If they come into my house with nothing and i hit them over the head with a fry pan and kill them. I go to jail again.

I have a .22 rifle and a Ruger 22/45 Pistol which is still a deadly gun. I will defend my family untill the cows come home.....
    GSDSchutzhund and ArmyCop like this.

Are you supposed to find an ax so that you can have a fair fight?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Yes and Yes. On two emus here in Australia!!!!!! I was at my range which is in the bush. I herd grunting and hissing. These things have 4 inch claws like razors. They were not happy i was there and the started running at me. Decided i would keep my organs in my chest. Was a Ruger 22/45 with Velociters.

Drew, story in the carry defensive scenario section.

VIP Member
    I have to change my previous post in this thread, and change my vote now
    drawn numerous times on duty

...now its 6 times being a split second from pulling trigger on a human
    ....and I had to draw and fire on duty to get a pit bull off my leg as it attacked me in the middle of a foot chase after an armed suspect, was not fun, but I'll detail it and another story here in a few weeks....(teaser lol)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links