Reciprocity carriers beware!

This is a discussion on Reciprocity carriers beware! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you want a FELONY on your record? Now, perhaps this is widely known and it does not deserve a new thread, or perhaps I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AKsrule
  • 1 Post By jem102

Thread: Reciprocity carriers beware!

Reciprocity carriers beware!

Do you want a FELONY on your record? Now, perhaps this is widely known and it does not deserve a new thread, or perhaps I am overlooking something, but it seems to me that for any CCW permit holder who carries by "reciprocity" in a state other than his or her state of residency, and who wishes to remain perfectly legal according to the letter of the law while doing so, the following should be of great concern:

National Coalition for Amending the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995

The site suggests that while many states can and do presently exempt you from the Federal School Zone ban prohibiting firearms near schools, the present wording of the Federal School Zone act (and the interpretation of that law as provided by the ATF letter linked to on the above page) MIGHT NOT--or, perhaps, DOES NOT--allow for the exemption of RECIPROCITY CCW carriers in the same way that it allows States to exempt resident CCW carriers from the ban. This group is lobbying for a change in the language of the law such that, by the Federal law, the States allowing CCW permit holders exemption from the Federal School Zone ban also thereby exempt those people who carry otherwise legally by reciprocity in the State in question.

Anyone know anything more about this? Have I overlooked something?

2. Remove Ads

Reciprocity should be ok, but I might worry if there wasn't reciprocity. Keep in mind, a state accepting your CCW does not imply reciprocity. Both states have to accept each other for it to be reciprocity.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes View Post
    Do you want a FELONY on your record? Now, perhaps this is widely known and it does not deserve a new thread, or perhaps I am overlooking something, but it seems to me that for any CCW permit holder who carries by "reciprocity" in a state other than his or her state of residency, and who wishes to remain perfectly legal according to the letter of the law while doing so, the following should be of great concern:

National Coalition for Amending the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995

The site suggests that while many states can and do presently exempt you from the Federal School Zone ban prohibiting firearms near schools, the present wording of the Federal School Zone act (and the interpretation of that law as provided by the ATF letter linked to on the above page) MIGHT NOT--or, perhaps, DOES NOT--allow for the exemption of RECIPROCITY CCW carriers in the same way that it allows States to exempt resident CCW carriers from the ban. This group is lobbying for a change in the language of the law such that, by the Federal law, the States allowing CCW permit holders exemption from the Federal School Zone ban also thereby exempt those people who carry otherwise legally by reciprocity in the State in question.
    Anyone know anything more about this? Have I overlooked something?

Has ANYONE ever been prosecuted or even charged under this as an out of state CCW ?

Inherent in any State Law which allows and regulates CCW by non-residents is the Premise that you are EQUAL to a resident in this regard.

Lacking some OTHER criminal act I doubt any state would even NOTIFY a Federal authority that a legally carrying citizen "passed by" a school.

IF I hear in the future that the FEDS are manning roadblocks near schools I may become concerned....

mr.stuart likes this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Oh Lawd, another sleepless night
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Actually, the outcome of the NRA backed lawsuits in regards to the same wording that was used in the Wisconsin states open carry law could define the state of that federal law.

The language of laws like that create vast tracts of gun-free zones in the US. An incredible infringement of law-abiding citizens rights to say the least. Wisconsin has become the starting point of ending that infringing language of constitutionally guaranteed rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Oh Lawd, another sleepless night
    That about says it all.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Links