Advice for new CC people on how to get used to carrying

This is a discussion on Advice for new CC people on how to get used to carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I often read posts from people saying that's it's hard to get used to carrying. They either feel self-conscious or uncomfortable while carrying their everyday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Advice for new CC people on how to get used to carrying

VIP Member

Advice for new CC people on how to get used to carrying

I often read posts from people saying that's it's hard to get used to carrying. They either feel self-conscious or uncomfortable while carrying their everyday carry weapon. I have some advice that may help people who are new to CC - while you're waiting for the permit to arrive, start carrying at home using the rig and method you plan to use every day. This will give you a legal method of getting used to carrying before you receive your permit. You can work out all the kinks and issues and see what works and what doesn't. By the time the permit arrives, you'll have gotten used to carrying and real carry will seem like second nature.
    BkCo1, Diddle and TN_Mike like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

Great advice. May I take it a step further?

Go ahead and get used to carrying with one in the chamber while you're at it.
    retnavy, BkCo1 and JDE101 like this.

Fantastic advice, all I would add is very few people if any will notice you are carrying unless you make it blantantly obvious. Once you get used to carring your will realize this. I've only been carrying for roughly 4 months and now feel like I'm missing my underwear if I don't have a weapon on me somewhere.

If you carry everyday it just becomes part of your routine. Its a comforting routine as well as comfortable if done properly
    retnavy and Justified like this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    If carrying at home provides for you to be outside (in a yard or on your property), all the better. Environmental conditions, going about your normal business, even being around neighbors & people walking by can help one assimilate the new lifestyle & mindset.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

when you get your permit to carry go do a wally walk, go to the mall, go to public places, at first you'll think all eyes are on you but the more you get out and carry in public the quicker you'll realize that almost nobody will ever notice you and your gun.
    retnavy likes this.

Something else you can be working on while waiting for the permit is presentation, reloads, malfunction drills, etc.

Speaking for myself, I felt like everyone was looking at me too, but then I realized what was different. It wasn't that they were paying any particular attention to me - it was the fact that I was more alert and paying more attention to everyone else.
    Mr B and protek like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rably View Post
    Something else you can be working on while waiting for the permit is presentation, reloads, malfunction drills, etc.

Speaking for myself, I felt like everyone was looking at me too, but then I realized what was different. It wasn't that they were paying any particular attention to me - it was the fact that I was more alert and paying more attention to everyone else.

Couldn't have said it and better.
    babarock likes this.

I carry only for few weeks and have no problem adjusting. The only thing I do is I'm rotating my body and gun away from people who are behind me but I don't have to touch my gun trough clotting to check on it.
    I've never drew from the holster so I trained at home before taking CCW class so I could do it smoothly. Even with the IWB holster with snap retention I was able to do it without loosing time.
    I still practice that.

get rid of the snap retention holster, if you are ever in an sd situation every moment counts and having to release the snap is costing you valuable tenths of a second

Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    Great advice. May I take it a step further?

Go ahead and get used to carrying with one in the chamber while you're at it.
    And if your are worried about carrying one in the pipe, put a new snap cap in there and see if it ever gets hit (hint: it won't with a decent holster and weapon).
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    I often read posts from people saying that's it's hard to get used to carrying. They either feel self-conscious or uncomfortable while carrying their everyday carry weapon. I have some advice that may help people who are new to CC - while you're waiting for the permit to arrive, start carrying at home using the rig and method you plan to use every day. This will give you a legal method of getting used to carrying before you receive your permit. You can work out all the kinks and issues and see what works and what doesn't. By the time the permit arrives, you'll have gotten used to carrying and real carry will seem like second nature.
    I would say that this advice is the best option for someone who is brand new to carrying.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Let me add something...

You could also not let the wife in on what you're doing and see if you can conceal from her...(or him, if it's a lady trying to conceal)...see just how well you can conceal.
    JDE101 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Let me add something...

You could also not let the wife in on what you're doing and see if you can conceal from her...(or him, if it's a lady trying to conceal)...see just how well you can conceal.
    Great idea, but my wife ask about my CC if she does not see me putting it on. says it for her comfort as we back each other up by watching each others back when out and about.

She may not be as fast on the draw but she is very very accurate and very aware.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Cool

My wife is already use to seeing me with a big hump in my pants so concealing from her will be hard....
    Deerbnb and juliandelph like this.

I haven't gotten my permit yet since I can't until November 1 (Wisconsin) but just today I put an exact replica airsoft gun in my holster to walk around my house with and practiced clearing my clothes from the holster and drawing. I even did some shooting exercises while moving towards cover. I know shooting an airsoft gun and shooting the real deal are totally different, but as far as focusing on the target, working towards cover, etc I think it was actually quit valuable. Getting used to clearing my clothes and drawing quickly with a good grip and finger outside the trigger guard was great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links