Capacity!

This is a discussion on Capacity! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My G30 has 10+1 capacity. My Para 10mm has 19+1 capacity. I don't feel undergunned with either, but less than 10 rounds has me slightly ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Capacity!

My G30 has 10+1 capacity. My Para 10mm has 19+1 capacity. I don't feel undergunned with either, but less than 10 rounds has me slightly more concerned.

I replaced my Para's safety with a beavertail and wouldn't own a 1911 without one.

The grip thickness is a nonissue. That seems to be a major complaint among people. I don't understand it. My full size Para conceals no less than my G30. The thick grip doesn't give me the slightest bit of a problem, either IWB or OWB.

That is true that most gunfights are less than five rounds fired by one person. I plan for the one that will last longer than that. I carry a gun for the one in a million and I carry a lot of ammo for the one in a million.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

My XD-9SC has been extremely reliable so far, and I use the 16rd mags.

Now that is what I call capacity!

I have about 2500 rds through it with no issues at all. I did have a FTE a few times with one box of super crappy reloaded target ammo, but it has chewed through everything else I've fed it since I dumped that crappy reloaded practice ammo.

I practice with Winchester White Box from Wally World now instead. Just as cheap and pretty decent ammo. Never had an issue.

Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

I read a statistic somewhere that said the average gunfight was 7 seconds long, at 7 meters, with 3 rounds fired.
    That is true that most gunfights are less than five rounds fired by one person. I plan for the one that will last longer than that.
    In fact, 99% of engagements will be different than the "average" encounter, with half worse than that supposedly-comforting average. It's definitely rational to plan for something a bit worse ... shorter distances, less time, greater distances/time covered during the engagement, more rounds needed. Reality bites. Often enough to be prepared.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

fm2
    I like the idea of hi cap gun, less chance of having to reload if you are in a situation. Reloading takes time, you may need to be shooting instead of futzing with the pistol. I carry a spare mag, mostly in case of a type 3 failure, double feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    I don't have AAA backing me on the street everyday helping to protect me! I am buying my own personal insurance/assurance that I am covered in as many type's of situations as possible by carrying more capacity. The more training I get the more I think this way!
    ok, maybe we don't have AAA but b/w 8-10 rds, a good knife, and a cell phone to call that 3 digit number that WILL bring in the cavalry (and they're packing more than jumper cables!!), i think there are limits to what we are able to do/be prepared for (flame retardant on)

So, i carry my XD9SC or bersa .380 with anywhere from 16-25 rds on me... the extra mag is more for correcting a bad jam than actually needing the capacity, IMO. i'm sure there are scenarios where that wouldn't be enough. right up there with the meteor taking out 1/2 the eastern seaboard...
    the "how many rounds to carry" question is one of those slippery slopes ending in everybody carrying 2-3 handguns, body armor, and a long gun to work.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight
    TheGreatGonzo

I'm with the Department of the Army Police and the powers that be here would drive a psychiatrist crazy. This isn't the only stupid policy they have for us. Wish I could tell you the others but that could get me in deep ____. This is not the way it is at other Army facilities only the one I work for.
    Well, I'll be darned if I can figure out their logic in making you "underload" your mags. Good grief. But, then again, I know you guys (as well as the civilian cops for the other branches) have to fight all of the time to get treated like cops, which you, without question, are. That ten-round thing in a 15-round mag just makes me scratch my head.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    In my humble opinion, carrying a semiauto without at least one spare mag is foolish. It is not about capacity (ok, ok...with a single-stack .45 or a small 9mm like a Kahr, part of it is a firepower issue), it is about functionality. The most likely part of a semiauto to fail is the magazine. The 8 rounds in your Kimber may certainly be well more than enough to handle the situation. But what if it misfeeds on round #3. Were the first two rounds enough to handle the situation? Is the thread neutralized? When you strip that mag, what are you going to replace it with? Again, just my opinion, but I would never carry a semiauto, no matter what the capacity is, without at least one spare mag.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    What else? what do others think about capacity and is it important enough to buy another carry piece that really is not a 1911.
    Here are three reasons for high capacity hadnguns. I found them on the web.

(1) SEVERN, Md. -- A man shot several times managed to get home, call 911 and tell the operator to send a helicopter rather than an ambulance.

(2) Man in serious condition after shot multiple times--Lincoln Journal Star. A 36-year-old man was in serious condition Monday, after an early morning shooting four blocks south of the state Capitol. Police told one neighbor in the complex, 29-year-old Chris Ertl, that shots had been fired in the apartment and the hallway hitting the man four times in the chest. However, the manís injuries were not considered life threatening.

(3) (11/18/05 - HOUSTON) - A man shot eight times in the back managed to drive through southwest Houston before he eventually crashed overnight. Police say the man in his 40s was outside his car when someone shot him repeatedly. He drove down Bissonnet to Brae Acres, where he crashed in a ditch.The victim was taken to Ben Taub Hospital.

I carry two spare tires........

PRA- Personal Risk Assessment. I have carried a 5 shot J frame/SP101, with 2 Speedstrips. I've also carried a G17, with 4 spare mags.

I avoid trouble like the plague. God graced me with a fast tongue, and fast feet- I can use them both well. But. I lived in the aforementioned SW Houston, for awhile. Capacity can make you feel mighty good sometimes.

We've about had our run of peaceful times, in this country. Our foreign policy, and judicial enforcement are mealy-mouthed, at best. Recently, a Park Service Ranger was severely beaten (and/or shot? can't remember) by "encamped migrants", who attacked him because they were used to the Mexican Policia- who run, when confronted. How would you fare, w/o even the "intimidation factor" of a US LE badge? Again, PRA- where do you live/what do you reasonably forsee?

Some good post's! I liked Art Penny's find, those pretty much tell the story on a few situations. Although most people have no clue where to shoot someone or can't (no formal training) to put them down quick. Nevertheless, even running single stacks let's say I have an eight round mag plus 1 in the chamber! I am only going to shoot 7 of those rounds and if I am 100% sure of the exact shot's I have fired then 8 before I drop the first mag to avoid slide lock.

Then with one still in the chamber, I reload! also, depending on the situation and how intense it is I may only get 5 or 6 rounds off before dropping the mag to avoid slide lock (if I am unsure how many went bang) and insert second mag to keep firing if needed.

With a High Capacity weapon one can fire 10 to 11 shot's (semi auto) before dropping a mag avoiding slide lock and insert the second 12 -13 round double stack.

Now, for the one's that will allow there weapon to empty to slide lock in an high intense situation, I hope you hit what you wanted and the BG is not able to recover putting a few rounds into you while you are dropping the mag, inserting your spare (if you carry one) releasing the slide and hoping there are no hang up's all the while praying that a round loads clean into the chamber.

This is my reasoning for wanting extra capacity! I train this way with single stacks and "lately" feel that double stacks would be that much better.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

One of my carry guns is an EAA Witness in .45ACP. When I first bought it, the idea was I'd get the 10mm conversion unit, which ups the capacity from 10+1 in .45ACP to 15+1 in 10mm. However, I've been thinking lately, since I seem to have problems keeping .45s on target, I might stick with 9mm, which, if I get the 9mm conversion for the Witness, changes the capacity to 18+1. Can you say LOTTSA AMMO!

Nothing wrong with that Al! Shoot what you shoot the best and never look back. 10mm's are pretty hot loads, but hitting the target is also what matters. 18+1 is nice to have at your disposal.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; August 7th, 2006 at 08:07 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

As said al nothing wrong with that carry with what ever you shoot the best

Quote Originally Posted by Art Penny
    Here are three reasons for high capacity hadnguns. I found them on the web.

(1) SEVERN, Md. -- A man shot several times managed to get home, call 911 and tell the operator to send a helicopter rather than an ambulance.

(2) Man in serious condition after shot multiple times--Lincoln Journal Star. A 36-year-old man was in serious condition Monday, after an early morning shooting four blocks south of the state Capitol. Police told one neighbor in the complex, 29-year-old Chris Ertl, that shots had been fired in the apartment and the hallway hitting the man four times in the chest. However, the manís injuries were not considered life threatening.

(3) (11/18/05 - HOUSTON) - A man shot eight times in the back managed to drive through southwest Houston before he eventually crashed overnight. Police say the man in his 40s was outside his car when someone shot him repeatedly. He drove down Bissonnet to Brae Acres, where he crashed in a ditch.The victim was taken to Ben Taub Hospital.
    Sounds more like an argument for more effective handguns/ammunition.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13
    Sounds more like an argument for more effective handguns/ammunition.
    That's what I'd have thought too, until I was told of a guy who was hit with a 12 guage shotgun, hit at LEAST 8 times with .45 pistol ammo, and STILL refused to fall down. FYI, the guy lived too.

Moral to the story, placement is just about everything.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links