What to Do After You Have the Draw on the BG?

This is a discussion on What to Do After You Have the Draw on the BG? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I`m not telling him nothing. If I have to draw he`s getting shot period. Then when the cops come I`ll say I was in fear ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: What to Do After You Have the Draw on the BG?

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I`m not telling him nothing. If I have to draw he`s getting shot period. Then when the cops come I`ll say I was in fear for my life,he was armed and I need to go to the hospital to be checked out because of my blood pressure or whatever. Once there I`ll make no statements untill I hear from my lawyer. These perps need to be stopped as it`s all out of control here in Orlando. The cops grab them and tomorrow they`re back on the streets doing the same thing. I`d hate to be a LEO here.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    If I had sufficient reason to pull my weapon, chances are very good he's already been shot..
    Shoot first, ask questions later. Classic.

I would prefer to make sure that the BG is arrested, so that he will never commit an attack again and is not a threat to society.

I guess we all live in different worlds

Unless he has priors he will be back on the street in 18 months or less and is again a threat to society. Several States have a min of 5 years with no parole if a weapon is used in commiting a crime but with the states budgets in the mess they are in, Look at Cali, they are letting "them Bad Guys" out early
    Magnum likes this.

You also post "Yes, but something near 80% of the time a gun comes out - and I take it that is for the purpose of firing - the BG runs. So, it seems to happen regularly." My thinking on that is their and my reason to draw is different. I think most people draw their gun hoping to scare the BG off. I draw to kill him, if I draw it is not to scare.
    I will only draw my weapon to defend my life or another member of my family. If I do draw it. a decision has been made that the BG is in the process of or has already injured someone and the threat must be stopped.

My normal draw to firing the first shot in all the training I have had is about 1 - 1 1/4 seconds and my *split times (* times between shots with the shots staying inside a 6 inch circle at 10 yards) are around .20 of a second. That is not a lot of time for something to happen to change my decision to fire once the draw has begun.

That is----- a draw and 2 shots to a 6 inch COM in less then 1 1/2 seconds.

USMC retired, Ex LEO, IDPA, CAS, Etc.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    What I'm getting at is not how fast or slow you, me or anyone else is from time the draw start to first hit is. But rather that in most cases once you start the draw you need to get to first hit a fast as possible, for you.

I believe pulling the gun and reassessing giving the BG time to stop his actions is as dangerous as firing 2 shots an reassissing. Both can and will get you killed. For me it's shot as quick as possible and shoot until there is no longer a threat to you or your love ones.

I see this going off track from what was asked from the start. Sorry for the hi-jack.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I agree with many others here in that if I ever have to draw my gun, I'm more than likely going to shoot whoever I'm drawing on.

As law abiding citizens, we have to wait until the situation is clearly a lethal force situation before we can even legally draw our guns in most cases. We are responding from a defensive position and that automatically puts us behind the curve.

If I have to draw my gun, it's likely to be during a fast and furious type situation and my gun is probably going to be smoking as soon as it clears leather.

However, I do think one should have a plan on how to deal with bad guys who do surrender before getting shot.

As I said, I'm more than likely going to be shooting, but if I end up not having to shoot, I think the safest and most responsible thing to do is to get them face down on the ground where they can't easily hurt you.

I noticed a recent poll on how many people have ever had to draw their gun before and how many have had to draw and fire shots. There's been quite a few people who have had to draw their guns before yet never needed to fire the gun. Very very few people responded that they also fired their gun.

You can say with confidence that if you ever draw your gun, it's a foregone conclusion you're going to shoot someone. But put yourself in the situation where it happens for real, and I'd be willing to bet a lot of those "confident" people reassess the actual need to fire based on how things play out once you draw.
    shockwave likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Do what you feel falls within your capabilities and the legalities of the situation.
    Magnum likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I guess we all live in different worlds
    Correct you are, and it's more than obvious after reading the majority of these posts that the same is true in relation to attitude and mentality. Wisdom, and even common sense, prevails in every situation in "real life" over the "me Tarzan" or Rambo BS. Gun forums are great places for the "chest thumping mutual admiration crowd" to agree or better one another with rhetorical speak. As living in different worlds, so is every situation/scenario different. Mention one scenario, and before the discussion is half over you have dozens of scenarios on the table and imaginations and egos going wild and off track. If someone is living in a gang infested hell hole metropolis, and feels they must carry three or four guns, a hundred pounds of extra ammo, a knife, pepper spray, brass knuckles and a Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring, good for them. If they want to shoot first and ask questions later, that's they're prerogative. Choices & consequence make the world go 'round. My choice is to tell the BG to run, "if I have that choice".

My biggest concern ordering him to the ground would be to watch his hands... because of this video (that I first saw because of a link posted on DC):

Hidden Hands

So, I'd just as soon have them on their knees cross- legged, hands laced. And any move is likely to get me to shoot. But, generally, I agree with those that have said once it's out of the holster, loud noises will follow.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    I`m not telling him nothing. If I have to draw he`s getting shot period. Then when the cops come I`ll say I was in fear for my life,he was armed and I need to go to the hospital to be checked out because of my blood pressure or whatever. Once there I' ll make no statements until I hear from my lawyer.

Officer: "Sir are you injured?" You (gasping): "Oh god my blood pressure! My blood pressure! Get me a doctor and a lawyer!". Love it
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Correct you are, and it's more than obvious after reading the majority of these posts that the same is true in relation to attitude and mentality. Wisdom, and even common sense, prevails in every situation in "real life" over the "me Tarzan" or Rambo BS. Gun forums are great places for the "chest thumping mutual admiration crowd" to agree or better one another with rhetorical speak. As living in different worlds, so is every situation/scenario different. Mention one scenario, and before the discussion is half over you have dozens of scenarios on the table and imaginations and egos going wild and off track. If someone is living in a gang infested hell hole metropolis, and feels they must carry three or four guns, a hundred pounds of extra ammo, a knife, pepper spray, brass knuckles and a Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring, good for them. If they want to shoot first and ask questions later, that's they're prerogative. Choices & consequence make the world go 'round. My choice is to tell the BG to run, "if I have that choice".
    Brother I'm ridden with you!
    This is the same as the other thread going on where everyone is stepping in to save the innocent in any confrontation they encounter...By gawd I'll darn tooten be a knowen who be right and who be wrong...bang, bang...take that you varmint!
    Magnum likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I'd tell him to make me a sandwich.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Do what you feel falls within your capabilities and the legalities of the situation.
    Yup !

And whatever you decide to do, do it from behind cover if at all possible and watch out for accomplices.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Brother I'm ridden with you!
    This is the same as the other thread going on where everyone is stepping in to save the innocent in any confrontation they encounter...By gawd I'll darn tooten be a knowen who be right and who be wrong...bang, bang...take that you varmint!
    I though that this thread is about how YOU would react if you felt endangered, you have posted a misdirected over simplification an incorrect twist to the scenario (are you one of those obfuscating liberals?)
    feeling in fear of YOUR life, drawing and firing is a long ways from stepping into to a confrontation that you are not a part of.
    I more than likely would never get involved in any incident until it became apparent that myself or my family was in imminent danger, and like I stated, if I draw the only thing heard will be the reports of my bullets being sent on their way

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I though that this thread is about how YOU would react if you felt endangered, you have posted a misdirected over simplification an incorrect twist to the scenario (are you one of those obfuscating liberals?)
    feeling in fear of YOUR life, drawing and firing is a long ways from stepping into to a confrontation that you are not a part of.
    I more than likely would never get involved in any incident until it became apparent that myself or my family was in imminent danger, and like I stated, if I draw the only thing heard will be the reports of my bullets being sent on their way
    Bang, bang, bang..."there, take that you ambiguous and confused varmint"...he said as he slowly re holstered his .475 Linbaugh and hunkered down behind the bush in his snipers hide.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links