Car Travel from SC to NY/NJ Area

This is a discussion on Car Travel from SC to NY/NJ Area within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry for asking probably a redundant question on car travel with loaded firearm. I have an SC CCWP and will travel from SC to NY/NJ ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Travel from SC to NY/NJ Area

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar

Car Travel from SC to NY/NJ Area

Sorry for asking probably a redundant question on car travel with loaded firearm. I have an SC CCWP and will travel from SC to NY/NJ and be in those specific states/areas for 2 weeks. My understanding is that if I have a loaded firearm secure in my glove or console compartment, I am OK in NC, VA and DE--is that correct? Understand that reciprocity is not available in MD, PA, NJ and NY? If I should have a real imminent danger of great bodily injury in any/all of these states requiring firearm use, will I have a legal/LEO problem? Most of the two weeks are in NY/NJ with travel into NY City--is secure loaded firearm in those specific states a "no-no"? Thank you

2. Remove Ads

Don't do it!
    federal law would protect you if you were passing through NY/NJ and stowed the weapons as per the law but since NY/NJ is your destination you would be in grave danger of spending some time in JAIL there if found out.
    FWIW: since I own property in NJ and have a NJ firearms ID card I do transport my weapons to my home there, nonetheless I am on shaky ground when doing it.
    My advise would be to avoid bringing your weapons there.

THIS ^^^^ x 100

Maryland...New Jersey...and New York...will lock you up so fast...

DO NOT BRING YOUR WEAPON INTO THOSE STATES, unless you are just passing through and have federal law on your side...

Stop, and you can get hosed big time...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

One more voice in the choir - don't do it. A flat tire, a random incident, any reason for interaction with NJ or NYC law enforcement and the odds against you go up dramatically if your firearms are with you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    As much as it sucks. To be legal and keep out of trouble, leave your guns home. Remember, your gun is really your last line of defense. Boost your SA and avoid areas where the possibility for trouble exist.
    Last edited by archer51; August 13th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for answer. Kind of knew what the answer would be. I guess situational awareness will be preeminent in my travels. Nothing like having hypocritical politicos, who probably have permission to be CC while the rest of the citizens in their hellhole states have to fend for themselves. Gotta go north for niece's wedding but will eagerly wait for day I turn south and go back to SC where citizens still have right to defend themselves.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I`ve been there,done that and had to leave my stuff at home,really irked me too!. Stay safe!. Good Luck.

Don't do it..!!

DON'T DO IT..!!

NYS requires a NYS permit for one to even purchase/have any type of handgun.. and getting one from NYC is even worse. I've read on web sites like this that NJ is just as bad for out of state people trying to carry. My suggestion is like all those above me..

DON'T DO IT..!!

The least that could happen is you find yourself yanked from your vehicle and made to eat the asphalt.. be arrested, handcuffed and given a free ride in a police car.. spend some quality time in the grey bar hotel (compliments of the state).. have your firearm and your 2A rights taken from you for the rest of your life.. and then the most exciting part of your vacation: having to shower with the rest of the guys as "Buba" gives you a sly smile and wink!

P.S. Make sure you keep your "soap on a rope" real close.. if'en ya know what I mean!

FireStar M40

Distinguished Member
    Unfortunately you will need to leave the guns at home unless you are a current or retired LEO if you are travelling to NY or NJ.

Also watch your blade length in NYC, the laws is 4" or less. And don't have it clipped to your pocket, they consider that exposed.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Maybe this might help as I will be traveling to a class reunion in Oregon. I just finished calling the Atty. Gen. of each state that Iwill be traveling thru ( Calif will not be one ). My route will be from Az to Or. thru Utah, Nv., Id. all have no problem with me carry but Oregon says lock it up with no mag but if stopped show your CCW and ID at same time also I wrote down date, time and name of person talked to. Oh one other thing I just found out is that I NM. you can only carry one gun.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I just remembered on more thing be careful crossing Indian land, have weapon locked up and proof that it is that you are the owner of the weapon you have with you.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Nothing like having hypocritical politicos, who probably have permission to be CC while the rest of the citizens in their hellhole states have to fend for themselves. Gotta go north for niece's wedding but will eagerly wait for day I turn south and go back to SC where citizens still have right to defend themselves.
    ...unless you're a Georgian, deprived by SC of the right to defend yourself while in their State. Got a non-resident permit from a state SC normally honors? Tough! you still can't carry.

SC does not honor non resident permits, in other words if are a GA resident and get a FLA permit that will also not be recognized by SC. you have to be a resident of the state SC is reciprocating with

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    SC does not honor non resident permits, in other words if are a GA resident and get a FLA permit that will also not be recognized by SC. You have to be a resident of the state SC is reciprocating with
    Exactly. [End of threadjack]

And How Are You Suppose To Do That..!!..?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    I just remembered on more thing be careful crossing Indian land, have weapon locked up and proof that you are the owner of the weapon you have with you.
    And how am I suppose to prove I'm the owner of that particular firearm? My constant carry (heck, all my firearms), that I have is/are over 20 plus years old. The Beretta 70S I own was purchased pre the 67-GCA.. so where do I get any paperwork showing my ownership?

How many of you have any type of papers showing your ownership of a firearm(s) that was/were handed down/given to you via family? Very few I would guess. Talk about the stupidity of it all.

FireStar M40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links