The process has begun...

This is a discussion on The process has begun... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took (and passed) my KY CCDW training class today! As the youngest one in the group, 21 as of mid July, I aced the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The process has begun...

The process has begun...

I took (and passed) my KY CCDW training class today! As the youngest one in the group, 21 as of mid July, I aced the written test (exceedingly simple and open book at that) and I actually shot the smallest group of the whole class on the range. Thankfully I've had some good teachers along the way that taught me how to shoot and websites like this helped me learn and anticipate the material that would be covered in the class so thank you all

Now I have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for my training certificate to come in the mail and once that happens I have to take the proof of training to the sheriffs office and pay $60 in various fees plus $5 for them to take my picture and wait a maximum of 90 MORE days after that for the Kentucky State Police to conduct a background check. I guess I just have to be patient.

I've decided I'm going to purchase a Glock 23 as a carry weapon and I'll do that sometime in the next two weeks when I receive my academic bonus check. The range where I took the CCDW class today has new Gen 4 G23s on sale for $549.99 + tax and that includes a free hour of range time and a box of ammo. Then, much practice is in order before I'll trust myself to strap up.

On a side note, while everyone in my class did pass, there were a few people that seemed fairly clueless about firearms and the politics of self defense. In fact, there was one gentleman in my class who had never shot a handgun before, he used a range rental and the very kind range safety officer coached him through the shooting portion. I suppose I assumed that people would take more initiative than that to find out what the course entails and learn just what exactly they are getting themselves into by eventually strapping on a deadly weapon.

So there's my update, none of you have to be excited for me but I'm excited for me so I thought I'd share
    retnavy and glockman10mm like this.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It is one thing to have a CCDW and another to carry full time and still another to develop the mind set to be willing to use the CC if needed.

Sounds simple but it is a process.

I can not tell you how many folks I've talked to who will tell me they have their CC license , and when I ask further all they have on them is a card in their wallet.

I usually say something like this to them, I hope you can throw that card real hard if you ever need a real defense.

With me starting to carry fully time was a challenge and then developing the mind set to be willing to use the CC weapon was a another big step,

All this being said I hope to never have to draw or use my CC.

You will do well if you work at it and take your time and let CC become a part of your life.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Congrats! Follow the rules and be safe!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    It is one thing to have a CCDW and another to carry full time and still another to develop the mind set to be willing to use the CC if needed.

Sounds simple but it is a process.

I can not tell you how many folks I've talked to who will tell me they have their CC license , and when I ask further all they have on them is a card in their wallet.

I usually say something like this to them, I hope you can throw that card real hard if you ever need a real defense.

With me starting to carry fully time was a challenge and then developing the mind set to be willing to use the CC weapon was a another big step,

All this being said I hope to never have to draw or use my CC.

You will do well if you work at it and take your time and let CC become a part of your life.
    That's a good point. I do understand that there is certainly a significant amount of mental preparation one must undergo in order for him or her to clear the possibility of taking another human life with their conscience and while I would like to say I've reached that point I suppose it remains to be seen what thoughts will enter my head when I actually make the decision to strap on a loaded weapon. I think I'm certainly airing on the side carrying as much as possible however.

The real hurdles to carrying full time are the fact that I work in an airport and I'm still a college student and will be for some time considering my recent decision to take on a double major and get a masters degree.

Take some time and practice shooting and you will become more and more comfortable with you carry Glock.

For me the gun and shooting was not as bigger problem as the holster and method of carry that I had to work out.

Being young you have an edge, your reflexes are faster and you have a life time to learn.

Any young person who is willing to learn the craft of shooting and carry with a heart bent to doing the right things in life will be a great asset to this country.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Take some time and practice shooting and you will become more and more comfortable with you carry Glock.

For me the gun and shooting was not as bigger problem as the holster and method of carry that I had to work out.

Being young you have an edge, your reflexes are faster and you have a life time to learn.

Any young person who is willing to learn the craft of shooting and carry with a heart bent to doing the right things in life will be a great asset to this country.
    Thank you for your words of encouragement

I want that bonus check to come so I can get my new weapon and start practicing! I took the test today with my dad's pre-series II full-size Kimber Custom 1911. I had the only 1911 in the class and I drilled a group that was mostly 20 rounds in one hole at 21 feet, this was the gun I learned to shoot a handgun with so I've had a lot of trigger time with it. I'm not as proficient with Glocks yet however, as I don't yet own one, I have probably a total of 200 rounds combined through two different G23s and a G19. I'm sure I'll be one-hole accurate with the Glock after a few range sessions and then I can get into the real fun stuff like maybe some defensive shooting classes or shooting steel target courses.
    retnavy likes this.

Congratulations! In the past I've purchased several guns at several different gun ranges and got a one year free membership. That included a substantial discount on hourly range time. Why not try to negotiate a better range time deal? Just saying...

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Congradulations! Hopefully the wait time won't be as long as you are anticipating = but, if it is, what a great Christmas you will have
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Congrats on passing your CCDW class! After you get the 23, then you will have to figure out how you will carry it.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Congrats, just remember this is just the start, you have a lot to learn. Be armed and be safe.

Very happy for you, and remember, we all have to start somewhere.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Well, small update.

My training certificate came in the mail today, my dad didn't call and let me know it came in until an hour before the sheriff's office closed so I'll have to drop it off on Monday before I go to class. I'm very surprised it came that quickly, it only took 5 of the maximum 15 days. The sheriff's website states that after they send the application to the state police for the background check it generally takes 3-5 weeks which is a lot less than the 90 days allowed by law. Maybe it will be closer to 3 weeks for me since I'm only 21 and therefore have very little background to speak of, that's a good theory at least.

I did find out however that I can't earn an academic bonus from work for classes I took in the summer* which sucks because now I have to save my money for that new Glock 23 like a regular person. Looks like it's gonna be a lot of walking everywhere and eating nothing but hot dogs, macaroni and top ramen for the next 6 weeks or so . At this rate I'll have my permit before I have a gun to carry.

*I work at UPS and through a program called metro-college I'm able to attend college and my tuition is paid for in part by UPS and in part by the metro-college organization that I believe is funded by the state. Every semester (as long as it's fall or spring) I take 6 credits or more and do not get below a "C" in any class I receive a $500 academic bonus and for every 30 credits I earn I receive an additional $600 bonus. The catch here is I have to work third shift which is less than ideal but I've been doing it for 3 years so I guess I'm used to it.

Grats! College is important.. keep it up... the glock will appear when your situated.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeTX View Post
    Grats! College is important.. keep it up... the glock will appear when your situated.
    Yeah, I don't get too bent out of shape over too many things, I'm pretty patient. As much as I'm excited to get a new gun (because come on, who doesn't enjoy that?), I can wait. I'm more concerned with getting a 4.0 this semester.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links