What do you say if a little child asks about your gun?

This is a discussion on What do you say if a little child asks about your gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My nieces are about to turn 4 and are very curious little girls, and my nephew will turn 1 one this year. I always CC ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What do you say if a little child asks about your gun?

  1. #1
    Member Array Andriss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    75

    What do you say if a little child asks about your gun?

    My nieces are about to turn 4 and are very curious little girls, and my nephew will turn 1 one this year. I always CC if I am carrying around them, but I worry about what they'll ask if they see it. They are already critiquing my fashion when I wear cover garments and have asked why I wear certain things. Saying that I like to wear vests or cardigans just makes them more curious, and we start the why game.

    The girls haven't noticed that their auntie carries, but they'll soon be hugging my waist instead of my thighs. I'm prepared to intercept and prevent them from hugging my gun, but what should I say if they see it or bump into it? How do I explain what it is in 4 year old terms? They've never seen guns on TV, and so far they haven't seen their uncle shooting in the backyard.

    I plan on talking to their parents, but when I've asked before they just say that the kids shouldn't touch them. That was almost 6 months ago and the girls weren't paying attention to what the adults were doing. What should I ask their parents without offending them? I don't know what they've told them about guns. Both grew up around guns so they're very casual about the topic, and have only asked that we make sure they can't get to the guns if it's not on our body.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    1,918
    some work has to be made and agreed upon with the parents now to smooth the way for later.
    perhaps a 'family secret' game to see how well the children can keep it. now a days talk in school about what 'my uncle has' can make waves for the parents.
    after the kids have proven they can keep the silly secret, than introduce them to the guns and the real secret.

    good that you are thinking ahead. good luck
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

  4. #3
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,868
    Tell them the truth about why you carry it. Spare no details.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    some work has to be made and agreed upon with the parents now to smooth the way for later.
    perhaps a 'family secret' game to see how well the children can keep it. now a days talk in school about what 'my uncle has' can make waves for the parents.
    after the kids have proven they can keep the silly secret, than introduce them to the guns and the real secret.

    good that you are thinking ahead. good luck
    Just need to learn how to talk to your child. My parents has been carrying since I can remember (that maybe the reason why I carry all the time as well) and I never ever talked about it in school. I never even told anyone what my folks did for a living.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

  6. #5
    Member Array ConcealedG30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Tell them the truth about why you carry it. Spare no details.
    Nuff Said.

    You nailed it there is no reason to dumb down thing for kids, they are smarter than you think.

    However, they learn more by our actions than our words.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,750
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Tell them the truth about why you carry it. Spare no details.
    That was my route, the direct one. I was OC'ing and my 4 yr old nephew asked why I had a gun. I told him there are some crazy people in this world and I have two little girls to protect. And I need to make sure I come home to them.

    End of discussion. It's nearly the identical thing I told my girls.

    Of course, I tend to value honesty. And explaining the intricacies of a good secret and a bad secret to a kid is probably harder than explaining the gun.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,116
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    Nuff Said.

    You nailed it there is no reason to dumb down thing for kids, they are smarter than you think.

    However, they learn more by are actions than are words.
    We have 5 kids. That is the way we handled it with all of them and our nieces and nephews. Tell a child the truth. It takes all the mystery out of it and they respect you for it even if they do not realize it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  9. #8
    Member Array Napolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    88
    It's a tool. Plain and simple.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    Say Auntie believes that there are bad people in the world,and if those bad people ever try to hurt Auntie or Mommy or you precious things,Auntie will bust some caps upon them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array GreyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    central florida
    Posts
    918
    A child needs to be told the the straight facts. Tell them that you carry. Tell them why. Even show them your gun and explain some rules to them about your gun. Let them see it's no big, dark mysterious secret. They'll simply accept it and move on to something that is more interesting to them. And one last thing. They need to be shown as young as possible so that by the time they go to school they've pretty much accepted this as a part of their lives. If you or their parents don't make a big deal out of this neither will the kids.
    protek and Hoganbeg like this.
    Question Everything!

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,237
    As far as the clothing, I would say I wear _______ because I like it. Why? Because I do, I'm cold natured.

    My boys know I carry and I've told them it is no ones business, never mention it.

    Funny story: About 2 years ago (when they were 4 & 5) we were walking on a trail and I said there were wild pigs in that area, we should look for tracks. Few minutes later one of them asks if I have a gun with me. I say yes. He said "good".
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

  13. #12
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,321
    At the ages they are, the simpler the explanation the better. Explain that it is a tool to help keep you and them safe from bad people.
    RETSUPT99 and MinistrMalic like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  14. #13
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,130
    ". . . because Dora's isn't real and I am.The world is full of real Swipers, and I'm here to protect you from them."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  15. #14
    Member Array ConcealedG30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ". . . because Dora's isn't real and I am.The world is full of real Swipers, and I'm here to protect you from them."
    I agree...

    If swiping was the only problem(No murders and such) I may be able to halfway over look it... Naah, who am I kidding.

    IMHO, too sugar coated. I explain to my children exatly who is out there and what some of them are capable of. I usually get a wide eyed horrific look but I bring them back down by telling them I love them and God gave me the job of protecting them, and thats just what I am going to do
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

  16. #15
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,637
    My grandchildren (4 and 7) spent a month with us this summer. Fortunately, my son and DIL both have their permits in IN...my son always carries.
    The grandkids know from their daddy and their grandpa that we 'carry' to protect our families. Without a lot of detail, they know the world has bad people.
    They also know that it is not something to talk about when we are 'out and about'.
    Additionally, they know the rules of Eddie Eagle (great vid)...they have been gun-proofed!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

357 sig
,

how to tell your kids that you carry a gun

,
someone asks of youre carrying
,
someone asks to see your handgun
,
what do you do if a kid asks you about guns
,
what do you say if someone asks to see your gun
,
what do you say if someone sees your gun
,
what is someone see your gun
,
what to do when your kid asks to see your gun?
,
what to say if someone asks if you are carrying a gun
,

what to say if someone sees my gun

,
when my child asks for a gun
Click on a term to search for related topics.